By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - DMC4. An anomoly, or a sign of things to come.

I'm sorry I didn't realize 32,050 to 36,000 was a drop.... I thought it was 12/13% increase...

Around the Network

VGChartz has week ending 27th at 38000. Famitsu says this week its 36000........

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

38,000 SW 32,050 HW

I think this will happen with quite a few more franchises. Being the first DMC on the ps3, it has that "WOW" factor that that DMC 2 and 3 did not. DMC 2/3 were really just continuations and innovations of DMC1, as they were all created on the same hardware, so anybody who liked the first a lot picked up 2 and 3, but many looking for a time filler probably picked up DMC1 Greatest Hits for $20 and ignored the other two. In comparison, because of DMC4's flashy visuals, it has the ability to draw in both older fans of the series and new guys who just want a cool game, especially on a console that is notably lacking software.

This is also why GT3 outsold GT2 despite being on a new console with a much smaller install base, and why GT4 sold less than GT3, despite being released when the ps2 had a much larger install base. This is also why MGS3 sold less than MGS2, despite being arguably the better game, and why MGS4 will most likely outsell MGS3. MGS3 didn't have the wow factor of MGS2, but MGS4 most definitely will, if not even moreso.

Of course, this all depends on install bases and the actual quality of the game. All Tekkens after 3 have sold far less simply because none have been as good. With games like MGS4 and GT5, they should only improve upon their predecessors. DMC4 didn't really improve, but it didn't take a step back like Tekken did with TTT and Virtua Fighter did with VF5.

This does put into doubt the ability of other PS3 games to push hardware

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

Thats my point exactly. Everyone keeps saying that Sony's only problem is lack of games and when the big Franchises hit consoles will shift in massive numbers. It doesn't occur to these people that perhaps the gaming world simply likes the Wii more.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

@ Starcraft and Avinash_Tyagi

Like I said, we don't know if those numbers are right because why else would the Wii only get a moderate increase in sales? I could have sworn that people said that they were stockpiling for the relase of brawl. So brawl gets released, and barely moves any more consoles than usual? I think not.

FishyJoe said:
It's cherry picking because you're ignoring all the other cases of PS2 games that moved to the PS3, such as HSG5, VF5, Gundam, etc.

Like Disgae wich had a great start ? Or what about NFS and PES games they are selling incredibly well on the PS3 to , even with the small instalbase ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

tokilamockingbrd said:
carlos710 said:
Bladeneo said:
carlos710 said:
Bladeneo said:
carlos710 said:
Bladeneo said:
carlos710 said:
disolitude said:
carlos710 said:
DMeisterJ said:
@ FishyJoe

I lose more and more faith in you as a mod each passing day.

Because he hasnt't banned you for your trolling in the rest of the forum??

DMC 3 was the 3rd game of the series in the same console. DMC 4 it's the first HD DMC. It was a failure in terms of profits IMO, since it sold way less than the first DMC on the ps2 while (likely) having way bigger development costs.

You're forgeting it was released to a much smaller userbase...

You are forgetting that nobody cares about attach rates.

Try to learn what this means: PROFIT

Early PS2 development costs were huge as well so I doubt capcom are going to be disappointed. DMC4 strikes me as a game with average development costs, possibly slightly higher due to having to develop on two consoles. How is 200,000 in one week in one region a bad thing? I guarantee its better than Capcom were anticipating. It'll probably have 400-500,000 sales during its first week on both platforms (so pushing a million), almost definately break even point for a game like DMC.

NOT EVEN CLOSE to about 20 million for an HD game like now.

And DMC 4 may sell more than past DMC games worldwide (thanks to new x360 sales), but its likely going to be the worst rated DMC game ever on reviews. When developers make their games multiplatform instead of taking 100% advantage of a console's hardware the game loses quality quickly.

When did quality enter the conversation? A games quality does NOT define its sales, a hell of a lot of PS2 games sold a million copies with sub par reviews, likewise a hell of a lot of games sold hardly anythin despite excellent reviews.

So you are fine with paying more money to get less quality -i guess i don't care about what you think then.

But still the development costs are atleast 2.5-3 times bigger than what they were 5 years ago.

Woah youre good at making assumptions. I NEVER said I was happy paying more for less, you originally discussed profit, NOT quality and thus I responded. Now that you realise youre point about profit was null, you move onto something else. Well done.

Any proof about an average ps2 game being over 20 million?

I've read somewhere that the Average BIG budget game last gen cost 20 million. Definitly not the average game. I think for PS3 20 mil would be the ballpark for most full games. And the bigger ones reach upwards of 50mil(and in the case of MGS4 70 million)

Wrong , games like Halo 2 , God of War , Enter the Matrix had all ~ 40 million $ budget ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

carlos710 said:
DMeisterJ said:
@ FishyJoe

I lose more and more faith in you as a mod each passing day.

Because he hasnt't banned you for your trolling in the rest of the forum??

DMC 3 was the 3rd game of the series in the same console. DMC 4 it's the first HD DMC.  It was a failure in terms of profits IMO, since it sold way less than the first DMC on the ps2 while (likely) having way bigger development costs.

hahahah its a failure selling almost 200k in japan alone and it has not even been released in USA or "others yet? hahahahahha your crazy and people love to hate on ps3 but face it this game sold good and it will keep on selling once it is release in other regions.

i expect almost 2 million on ps3 alone and mab more on xbox. thats is by NO means a failure.