By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - DMC4. An anomoly, or a sign of things to come.

I think its numbers had less to do with last gen sales of DMC 3, and much more to do with it being the only game on the PS3 that Japanese owners care about.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

Sales of games in a series between consoles is a rough rough comparison. Even when doing it percentage wise. Why? Well some games mean more/less to a certain console. I mean DMC in Japan for PS2 was hardly something needed or big. I mean its not like it meant too much to the success of the console and gamers. While for PS3, DMC4 is a huge game to release as its a much needed big franchise. Meaning of course the hype among the buyers will be larger.

I mean the factors and variables for these kinda comparisons are just too plentiful. I mean SSBM on the GC sold close to 90% of all people who owned it while SSBB had 2x the opening week but only sold to 25% of the owners in Japan. Does that make it not as good.

Comparing games within a certain series that cross different platforms just has too many outside variables to make an accurate comparison. Same can really be said when comparing any game.

carlos710 said:
Bladeneo said:
carlos710 said:
Bladeneo said:
carlos710 said:
disolitude said:
carlos710 said:
DMeisterJ said:
@ FishyJoe

I lose more and more faith in you as a mod each passing day.

Because he hasnt't banned you for your trolling in the rest of the forum??

DMC 3 was the 3rd game of the series in the same console. DMC 4 it's the first HD DMC. It was a failure in terms of profits IMO, since it sold way less than the first DMC on the ps2 while (likely) having way bigger development costs.

You're forgeting it was released to a much smaller userbase...

You are forgetting that nobody cares about attach rates.

Try to learn what this means: PROFIT

Early PS2 development costs were huge as well so I doubt capcom are going to be disappointed. DMC4 strikes me as a game with average development costs, possibly slightly higher due to having to develop on two consoles. How is 200,000 in one week in one region a bad thing? I guarantee its better than Capcom were anticipating. It'll probably have 400-500,000 sales during its first week on both platforms (so pushing a million), almost definately break even point for a game like DMC.

NOT EVEN CLOSE to about 20 million for an HD game like now.

And DMC 4 may sell more than past DMC games worldwide (thanks to new x360 sales), but its likely going to be the worst rated DMC game ever on reviews. When developers make their games multiplatform instead of taking 100% advantage of a console's hardware the game loses quality quickly.

When did quality enter the conversation? A games quality does NOT define its sales, a hell of a lot of PS2 games sold a million copies with sub par reviews, likewise a hell of a lot of games sold hardly anythin despite excellent reviews.

So you are fine with paying more money to get less quality -i guess i don't care about what you think then.

But still the development costs are atleast 2.5-3 times bigger than what they were 5 years ago.

Woah youre good at making assumptions. I NEVER said I was happy paying more for less, you originally discussed profit, NOT quality and thus I responded. Now that you realise youre point about profit was null, you move onto something else. Well done.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

@DM You could have changed the words a bit like...

"DMC4 = only good thing that happened to ps3. no way this will happen again"

And all the anti Sony people will flock in here and be like "YEAH! You tell them sony = failz lolz. You = god for stating facts"

DMeisterJ said:
Well, I can see where this thread is heading.

I know what I did wrong here. I decided to post some information that could be viewed as positive for Sony. I should just post negative for them, whenever possible, as posting information that could be postive news for them never turns out well.

All I wanted was a simple question answered, but I guess I should go elsewhere huh?

Are sure it had nothing to do with the OP....

It is not a good sign when your Topics head the same direction as Crazzyman's... I would be worried...

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Around the Network
Bladeneo said:
carlos710 said:
Bladeneo said:
carlos710 said:
Bladeneo said:
carlos710 said:
disolitude said:
carlos710 said:
DMeisterJ said:
@ FishyJoe

DMC 3 was the 3rd game of the series in the same console. DMC 4 it's the first HD DMC. It was a failure in terms of profits IMO, since it sold way less than the first DMC on the ps2 while (likely) having way bigger development costs.

Early PS2 development costs were huge as well so I doubt capcom are going to be disappointed. DMC4 strikes me as a game with average development costs, possibly slightly higher due to having to develop on two consoles. How is 200,000 in one week in one region a bad thing? I guarantee its better than Capcom were anticipating. It'll probably have 400-500,000 sales during its first week on both platforms (so pushing a million), almost definately break even point for a game like DMC.

And DMC 4 may sell more than past DMC games worldwide (thanks to new x360 sales), but its likely going to be the worst rated DMC game ever on reviews. When developers make their games multiplatform instead of taking 100% advantage of a console's hardware the game loses quality quickly.

When did quality enter the conversation? A games quality does NOT define its sales, a hell of a lot of PS2 games sold a million copies with sub par reviews, likewise a hell of a lot of games sold hardly anythin despite excellent reviews.

So you are fine with paying more money to get less quality -i guess i don't care about what you think then.

But still the development costs are atleast 2.5-3 times bigger than what they were 5 years ago.

Woah youre good at making assumptions. I NEVER said I was happy paying more for less, you originally discussed profit, NOT quality and thus I responded. Now that you realise youre point about profit was null, you move onto something else. Well done.

Any proof about an average ps2 game being over 20 million? 

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

There are lots of reasons for DMC3 selling badly, many of which have already been stated in this thread. I find the other explanations far more likely than the PS3 suddenyl starting to do well in Japan.

DMC was never very popular in Japan anyway, and it wouldn't surprise me if a notable amount of the people who bought the previous parts are amongst current PS3 owners.

DMeisterJ said:

I know that many people were surprised at the numbers Devil May Cry 4 put up (most likely) in it's first week.  So now, a retrospective:

DMC 1 Launched in Japan with first week sales of 396K

DMC 2 Launched in Japan with first week sales of 340K

DMC 3 Launched in Japan with first week sales of 192K

And for all intents and purposes, DMC4 looks like it will launch with 200K first week sales.

So I ask the question:

Will this be the trend for all PS2 franchises coming to the PS3?  Many have stated and predicted that DMC4 would not have these kinds of sales first week, because the install base is low (Under 2 million), compared to what the PS2's install base was.  If you look at the predictions, users have it at 120K first week sales (Link) and it's easily outshone that.  So will this appen for all PS2 --> PS3 franchises or is this the only one?

I think the hardware figure is more telling 36K is definetly a sign of things to come

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

carlos710 said:
Bladeneo said:
carlos710 said:
Bladeneo said:
carlos710 said:
Bladeneo said:
carlos710 said:
disolitude said:
carlos710 said:
DMeisterJ said:
@ FishyJoe

Any proof about an average ps2 game being over 20 million? 

I've read somewhere that the Average BIG budget game last gen cost 20 million. Definitly not the average game. I think for PS3 20 mil would be the ballpark for most full games. And the bigger ones reach upwards of 50mil(and in the case of MGS4 70 million)

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

@ Avinash_Tyagi

I wasn't using Famitsu's numbers, I was using Sources preliminary numbers.
And why would you bring PS3 hardware in here, when we're talking about Devil May Cry?