By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - DMC4. An anomoly, or a sign of things to come.

I know that many people were surprised at the numbers Devil May Cry 4 put up (most likely) in it's first week.  So now, a retrospective:

DMC 1 Launched in Japan with first week sales of 396K

DMC 2 Launched in Japan with first week sales of 340K

DMC 3 Launched in Japan with first week sales of 192K

And for all intents and purposes, DMC4 looks like it will launch with 200K first week sales.

So I ask the question:

Will this be the trend for all PS2 franchises coming to the PS3?  Many have stated and predicted that DMC4 would not have these kinds of sales first week, because the install base is low (Under 2 million), compared to what the PS2's install base was.  If you look at the predictions, users have it at 120K first week sales (Link) and it's easily outshone that.  So will this appen for all PS2 --> PS3 franchises or is this the only one?

Around the Network

So ps3 games will sell less than 50% of what ps2 games sold.

Yes => GT5 will do at most 7 million.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Read my sig.

@ Carlos710

?

This game did greater than the first week sales of DMC4 which launched with a far greater userbase. What does that have to do with GT5?

@ FishyJoe

How am I cherry picking?

There is no contradiction. I'm comparing DMC3s sales of a much larger userbase to DMC4s sales with a much smaller userbase.

Aww man... I spelled "anamoly" wrong. Can someone change that?

Around the Network

dude just stop

It's cherry picking because you're ignoring all the other cases of PS2 games that moved to the PS3, such as HSG5, VF5, Gundam, etc.

@ Ari Gold

Stop what? I am simply asking a question.

@ FishyJoe

That's why I said this could be an anamoly, or a sign of things to come. I wanted to know if people thought that it was something that would continue happening, or if it is just this one case. Instead of trying to have witty responses to everything, why not answer the question pose, not direct people to your sig who are not cherry picking. I didn't say that the tide is turning, I was asking a question, which you are free to not answer. I lose more and more faith in you as a mod each passing day.

There are so many factors when it comes to game sales this generation versus the PS2 era that you can't really forecast a trend.

Back during the last gen, games like DMC did not stick out as much as PS2 was the norm. Now with Wii dominating Japan and the whole brain age/wii fit trend...DMC 4 is a breath of fresh air. When you add the Xbox 360 numbers to the mix...DMC4 sold really well.