By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Skyward Sword vs Twilight Princess - Who did what better?

Skyward Sword vs Twilight Princess - Who did better overall?

Skyward Sword 52 44.07%

Twilight Princess 66 55.93%

Total:118

I recently beat both of them again, and started thinking as to who did what better.

I'll start off with what Skyward Sword did better.

- The Controls - Wii motion+ perfected the controls in Skyward Sword, it felt amazing playing with it, the battles felt so much better with this, and so did the aiming.

- The dungeons - Sure it had less dungeons compared to Twilight Princess ( 7 vs. 9) but the design in them was much better, and they were unique, much different than the other ones.

- The story - This was Zelda's origin story, and it was told beautifully, the pace felt great, and it answered many questions. Amazing.

- The graphics - The art style was perfect for this game, it was really pleasing to the eye, and the design was amazing, better than Twilight Princess' dark theme.

Now on to what Twilight Princess did better.

- The boss battles - Sure they were very easy, but they were very fun, for me better then the Skyward Sword ones, and they also had more variety and more bosses, in Skyward Sword you fought 2 bosses three times each, sure they changed a bit and they were different, but over Twilight Princess wins this.

- The items - Twilight Princess had a lot more items than Skyward Sword, and some better ones to, I loved the spinner, possibly my favorite from all of the Zelda games, it had more variety, Skyward Sword's felt better when used do to the controls but Twilight Princess had the better items in general.

The side quests/overworld - There were so much more side quests in Twilight Princess than there was in Skyward Sword, more stuff to do, more heart pieces to collect, better mini games, and more mini dungeons, don't get me wrong Skyward Sword also had great side quests, but Twilight Princess had more and ultimately better ones.

In the end I liked Skyward Sword more, it became my favorite Legend of Zelda game, the main quest was just perfect for me. I know that not everyone will agree with what I said here, but what are your thought, who did what better in your opinion?

Edit - I forgot to talk about the sound, I think this is a tie, as Skyward Sword did have orchestrated music, but Twilight Princess also had amazing and memorable themes, can't seperate the two here.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

I love Twilight Princess. If it would have orchestral music like SS I would take it over SS 9999 times out of 10000.

I didnt play SS, but I didnt like the overworld and the sidequests in TP. It was very empty, and the sidequets were mostly caves. I dont see SS doing worst than that.

Ive beaten SS but actually havnt gotten around to finishing Twilight princess. that said SS was really good, not the best of the series but a great addition. Ill be making a playthough of Twillight princess soon since i just got done playing arkhim city amoured edition for the WiiU

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

- The Controls - TP: That's right. I liked waggle and IR better than those annoying controls. Also, Link lost the ability to wave the sword while running in SS.

- The Dungeons - SS: I have to give this one to SS. They were really well designed.

- The Story - TP: I was a fan of TP's dark tone of invasion and the characters were more interesting. SS was average and had annoying characters.

- The Graphics - TP: Needless to say, SS's artstyle was horrible and I hope it is never used again. I loved TP dark theme.

- The Boss Battles - TP: Easy, but sweet and exciting. You really felt like a conqueror.

- The Items - TP: Twilight Princess had a lot more items than Skyward Sword, and some better ones to. Skyward Sword hardly had items and most of them were really basic.

- The Side Quests/Overworld - TP: Much more things to do in TP, more exciting overworld, more themes and levels and cities. SS had an empty overworld, nothing extra to do and only THREE areas.

Overall:

TP - 6

SS - 1

Twilight Princess is the best the franchise offers, while Skyward Sword is a very limited and inconsistent experience.

Around the Network

Twilight Princess is my favorite LoZ game so i wins!

Skyward Sword was a very good game though, Dungeons were excellent!

- The "OHH SHIT I'M FALLING AND MY STOMACH FEELS LIKE IT HAS DISAPPEARED" effect:

A staple of Zelda games since they went all 3D; Twilight Princess did it better than Skyward Sword, simply because in the latter game, it was expected that you would do a lot of plummeting.

Even on repeat playthroughs of City in the Sky, my sphincter remains tightly clenched.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

brute said:

The side quests/overworld - There were so much more side quests in Twilight Princess than there was in Skyward Sword, more stuff to do, more heart pieces to collect, better mini games, and more mini dungeons, don't get me wrong Skyward Sword also had great side quests, but Twilight Princess had more and ultimately better ones.

Have to disagree with this one, Twilight Princess had a few nice sidequests, but Skyward Sword's edge in the presentation department meant I actually cared about the side characters I was helping. Sidequest rewards were also lacking in Twilight Princess. And while TP had more heart pieces, it took more to complete a heart container, decreasing the individual value of each, and enemies did so little damage that extra heart containers were redundant.

anthony64641 said:
Ive beaten SS but actually havnt gotten around to finishing Twilight princess. that said SS was really good, not the best of the series but a great addition. Ill be making a playthough of Twillight princess soon since i just got done playing arkhim city amoured edition for the WiiU

You should win TP, amazing game you will not be disappointed.

RolStoppable said:
Twilight Princess is the better game. The main disappointment with Skyward Sword was that it took steps backwards in various categories which ultimately made it feel like a Zelda game that was released before TP, not after.

Which categories are you talking about? For me it did stuff worse, but not overall, I'd like to know which stuff you thought went backwards.