By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Its Sad That Free Online Is Now A Selling Feature...

If you're capable of affording video games, whether it be your own money or your guardians, you're expected to pay up. It's an expensive luxury, both to develop and to enjoy.

Considering the millions it takes to develop and maintain games, as well as develop new future projects, you have to remember that the entire electronic arts industry costs a lot of money. And, as far as I'm concerned, prices only go up from here. 

So, the only thing I can suggest is...don't be cheap. :/

All of this, of course, is just my opinion.

Skyrim 100%'d. Dark Souls 100%'d. 
Dark Souls > Skyrim.
Halo 4 is the best damn FPS since Halo 3.
Proud pre-orderer of 2 PS4's and an Xbox One. 

Currently Playing: Dark Souls II, South Park
Playstation 4: MGS V GZ, Killzone: Shadow Fall, NBA 2k14.

Around the Network
PureDante said:

If you're capable of affording video games, whether it be your own money or your guardians, you're expected to pay up. It's an expensive luxury, both to develop and to enjoy.

Considering the millions it takes to develop and maintain games, as well as develop new future projects, you have to remember that the entire electronic arts industry costs a lot of money. And, as far as I'm concerned, prices only go up from here. 

But I'm brown I can't help it, being cheap is in my blood.

NightDragon83 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
NightDragon83 said:
It's sad that people think everything should be free.

I bet the same people who complain about XBL (and now PSN) charging for online have no problem shelling out $8/month ($96/year) to watch old movies and TV shows on Netflix.

Its not that everyone thinks everything should be free. Microsoft disrupted the foundation of gaming with their profiteering schemes. It doesn't matter how much it costs, its the principle, which is why when it comes to business people tend not to trust the American corporation. Why? They'll always dig their hand further where it does not belong. Their peace only stretches so far.

Ummm.. you do realize M$ wasn't the first home console manufacturer to charge people to play online, don't you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellaview

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SegaNet

Did Nintendo and SEGA disrupt the foundation of gaming with their "greedy profiteering schemes" too?

Oh wait, I take that back... Nintendo's service has long been defunct and SEGA went under entirely.  I guess since M$ is the only console manufacturer to have a successful subscription-based online network, that makes them greedy and evil.

It's also funny how PC gamers have been paying as much as $15 a month to play ONE SINGLE GAME online for years and nobody says boo about it, but meanwhile M$ charges a measly $5 a month for unlimited online gaming and entertainment apps, and everyone acts like they're as bad as the oil companies when it comes to raping consumers.

They went under entirely and Windows Live went free for a reason.

Microsoft played it smart...give them no choice and they cant fight it. Tie everything of value to the online system premium and they have  to pay you. Its how you do it right that shows how much of a bastard you really are. Luckily they didnt continue to force it upon PC gamers when they said no. You cant force something on people on an open format. 

I feel bad for people who buy Windows PC's now. Now people have to buy word instead of it being installed on their computer just as Windows. Its all under subscription or pay once. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
NightDragon83 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
NightDragon83 said:
It's sad that people think everything should be free.

I bet the same people who complain about XBL (and now PSN) charging for online have no problem shelling out $8/month ($96/year) to watch old movies and TV shows on Netflix.

Its not that everyone thinks everything should be free. Microsoft disrupted the foundation of gaming with their profiteering schemes. It doesn't matter how much it costs, its the principle, which is why when it comes to business people tend not to trust the American corporation. Why? They'll always dig their hand further where it does not belong. Their peace only stretches so far.

Ummm.. you do realize M$ wasn't the first home console manufacturer to charge people to play online, don't you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellaview

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SegaNet

Did Nintendo and SEGA disrupt the foundation of gaming with their "greedy profiteering schemes" too?

Oh wait, I take that back... Nintendo's service has long been defunct and SEGA went under entirely.  I guess since M$ is the only console manufacturer to have a successful subscription-based online network, that makes them greedy and evil.

It's also funny how PC gamers have been paying as much as $15 a month to play ONE SINGLE GAME online for years and nobody says boo about it, but meanwhile M$ charges a measly $5 a month for unlimited online gaming and entertainment apps, and everyone acts like they're as bad as the oil companies when it comes to raping consumers.

Microsoft played it smart...give them no choice and they cant fight it. Tie everything of value to the online system premium and they have  to pay you. Its how you do it right that shows how much of a bastard you really are. Luckily they didnt continue to force it upon PC gamers when they said no. You cant force something on people on an open format. 

I feel bad for people who buy Windows PC's now. Now people have to buy word instead of it being installed on their computer just as Windows. Its all under subscription or pay once. 

Actually it's the opposite today... now Windows comes with "free" versions of Word and Excel with limited features and ads (yes, ads), whereas going all the way back to the Windows XP days (and possibly earlier), Word was offered only as part of the MS Office suite, either the "Student" or "Business" editions, and depending on where you got your PC some came bundled with Office pre-installed, but most didn't, so this is the first time people actually haven't had to pay for any version of Word in well over a decade.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

NightDragon83 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Actually it's the opposite today... now Windows comes with "free" versions of Word and Excel with limited features and ads (yes, ads), whereas going all the way back to the Windows XP days (and possibly earlier), Word was offered only as part of the MS Office suite, either the "Student" or "Business" editions, and depending on where you got your PC some came bundled with Office pre-installed, but most didn't, so this is the first time people actually haven't had to pay for any version of Word in well over a decade.

I have Windows 8 because I just bought a new gaming laptop and no office to be found outside of a trial edition. They now have WIndows 365 which they make you either do a yearly subscription for (like Xbox Live) or you pay a one time fee. My last PC (not laptop) came stocked with Windows Vista and MS office 2007.

Around the Network
PureDante said:

I can't believe someone still has the guts to say this. of course it's ok to pay for a GAME but no for something that should be free.

Zero999 said:
PureDante said:

I can't believe someone still has the guts to say this. of course it's ok to pay for a GAME but no for something that should be free.

There 0 reason for it to be free when its a network (lets say Xbox live) that connects players to their games.
Thats:
1.  Electricity that has to be paid.
2. Servers that have to be maintained and patched and updated
3. Staff to work on upgrades, applying new features, apps etc.

Just because you purchased physical hardware, that gives 0 right to enjoying network access, which is what everyone seems to believe when they purchase into gaming.

But, believe me, I hate it just as much as anyone else. Nothing in life is free, especially not something that gives you joy from electronics.

All of this, of course, is just my opinion.

Skyrim 100%'d. Dark Souls 100%'d. 
Dark Souls > Skyrim.
Halo 4 is the best damn FPS since Halo 3.
Proud pre-orderer of 2 PS4's and an Xbox One. 

Currently Playing: Dark Souls II, South Park
Playstation 4: MGS V GZ, Killzone: Shadow Fall, NBA 2k14.

Zero999 said:

I can already see haters conveniently not mentioning wii u's free online or saying that paid online is the future and the reason wii u's is free is because it's a gen behind and bla bla bla.

Zero, if both Sony and MS had DRM and shit, people would be calling that the future and saying Nintendo is stuck in the past. i gaurantee you.

PureDante said:
Zero999 said:
PureDante said:

There 0 reason for it to be free when its a network (lets say Xbox live) that connects players to their games.
Thats:
1.  Electricity that has to be paid.
2. Servers that have to be maintained and patched and updated
3. Staff to work on upgrades, applying new features, apps etc.

Just because you purchased physical hardware, that gives 0 right to enjoying network access, which is what everyone seems to believe when they purchase into gaming.

But, believe me, I hate it just as much as anyone else. Nothing in life is free, especially not something that gives you joy from electronics.

it has been free so far (and will continue free for nintendo). as I said before, it's ok to charge for a full of services premium online but leave the free simple option for those who just want to play online.

It sad because your not really paying for online, your paying for all the other features but since no one would actually pay for that stuff they make you pay for online.