By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Its Sad That Free Online Is Now A Selling Feature...

Look I agree that online multiplayer on the PS3 was a great selling point for the PS3 and the PSN. But that was because the PSN was behind the XBL service and still is in a few ways like cross game chat etc. Next gen will be a different animal all together. The PSN has grown in leaps and bounds and the PS4 will have those other features not to mention consoles are seemingly finally going to put more resources into dedicated servers etc. and that is going to require additional revenue for Sony to continue to expand and pay for the additional cost of those services.

PS3 remains free as it stands and most likely will stay that way.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
I'm just glad that I'm not an online gamer, or I would be pretty mad.

This displays my sentiments exactly, I so rarely play games online that it isn't worth it but if I did I would be pretty ticked by Sony/Microsoft.

I have a PS3 that I purchased earlier this year that came with PS+, it's a nice system that lets me get basically what amounts to free game rentals - this is pretty cool and a nice feature to bundle with the system to get people to buy it (worked with me :) ) but after the 1 yr is up I will not be renewing, and I will not be getting a PS4 because of the paying online (and it's one of the big reasons I have never owned and don't plan to own an XBox console, although I have come close to reconsidering a few times)

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I'm not interested in playing online with nameless faceless people whom my only interactions with are usually negative and I'm certainly not going to pay to be bullied and cursed at.

Systems Currently Playing: WiiU, PS3, 3DS

Also Have: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, PS1, N64, PS2, Wii, GB, GBC, GBA, DSLite, DSi, Android (RazorMax), iPhone (4), iPad (2)

KingdomHeartsFan said:
tuscaniman99 said:
I'm sorry but it's $5 a month for X1 (less than $4 a month if you spend 5 minutes looking for a discount card) and a little over $4 a month for PS4. Buy one less Starbucks a month, one less pack of cigarettes a month, one less fast food trip per month etc. These are premium gaming consoles. If you can afford the console you can afford the fee to play online. People expect dedicated servers, more features, better everything for the same price as last gen and its pretty ridiculous. All you have to do is look around you and see the costs of everything are going up. WiiU has free online but lacks in all of the other extra features the PS4 and X1 offer for online gaming. Last gen cross game chat was enough to justify paying for gold. I hated playing PS3 games online because of a lack of this feature. People bring up PC but it has an extreme lack of AAA exclusives that interest me. I have a gaming PC but the online communities are so small it is laughable. BF3 and COD are basically dead.

Did you read the OP?  By the time the next generation is over you will have to pay the price of the console over again just to play online.  You talk about extra features like dedicated servers, PC has dedicated servers and you don't have to pay, lack of AAA exclusives has nothing to do with this, not sure why you brought that up.  What exactly are these "features" that are costing MS/Sony up the ass that they have to charge for online.  

Dedicated servers on the PC aren't free my friend. Many multiplayer games on PC require someone to rent the servers anywwhere from $1 -$3 a player.... It can be very expensive to maintain a server which where the clan system comes in handy for PC gaming. Just because you log into a PC game and jump on a server doesn't mean it's simply free.

I think it makes the Wii U a more interesting proposition.

Even if i get the PS4, its unlikely i will buy plus, even though its not as bad as live gold. I had the Xbox and the 360 for what 10 years? I never once paid for gold. Its just not worth it for me. I dont play games online that much on the consoles.

Yeah but its expensive to run those servers and stuff. Also paying for online next generation will be more attractive since you can get games from PS plus and MS is giving games too. Even if I never played online on the PS4, I'd still get PS Plus since Sony gives away so many games.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
Farsala said:
It is certainly outrageous, I used to have PS plus because it was definitely worth it. But now that they are tacking on multiplayer to PS plus I am not getting it again until a must have game has multiplayer just out of principle.

So you're giving up on all the games you get from plus until you will feel that you simply can't say no and pay for the multyplayer?

When do you plan to start this boycott? now or at least until you have a ps4?

I really don't  see the point. You already thought the service was worth it.

NightDragon83 said:
It's sad that people think everything should be free.

I bet the same people who complain about XBL (and now PSN) charging for online have no problem shelling out $8/month ($96/year) to watch old movies and TV shows on Netflix.

Its not that everyone thinks everything should be free. Microsoft disrupted the foundation of gaming with their profiteering schemes. It doesn't matter how much it costs, its the principle, which is why when it comes to business people tend not to trust the American corporation. Why? They'll always dig their hand further where it does not belong. Their peace only stretches so far.

Wonktonodi said:
Farsala said:
It is certainly outrageous, I used to have PS plus because it was definitely worth it. But now that they are tacking on multiplayer to PS plus I am not getting it again until a must have game has multiplayer just out of principle.

So you're giving up on all the games you get from plus until you will feel that you simply can't say no and pay for the multyplayer?

When do you plan to start this boycott? now or at least until you have a ps4?

I really don't  see the point. You already thought the service was worth it.

I am honestly really poor, so I have not had PS plus for 2 months despite knowing I would have enjoyed BF3, Hitman, LBPK, Deus ex, Xcom. As such I do not plan on getting next gen for quite awhile either.

But really this change has convinced me to look into getting a Wii U more.

I can already see haters conveniently not mentioning wii u's free online or saying that paid online is the future and the reason wii u's is free is because it's a gen behind and bla bla bla.

JoeTheBro said:
dobby985 said:
JoeTheBro said:
sundin13 said:
JoeTheBro said:
Things are changing. Back when online meant player to player connections, it was a joke to pay for online. Now with dedicated servers and all the very real costs associated with the online portions of games, paying for it is logical.

You already pay 60$ for the game, and out of curiosity, how much of those costs actually go do developers/publishers. I feel like MS/Sony are just pocketing most of the money, if not all but thats just a guess.

Anyways, I will be going Wii U/PC next gen and this is one of the reasons. I don't play online very often but I like having the opportunity.

If within the 8th gen steam or PC games don't evolve to also being paid online, then I'll agree that it's a rip off.

The servers on Steam or PC in general are usually hosted by clans and members of the community and not game companies themselves.

That's the main difference between PC online and console online.

Even the big AAA multiplat games?

Yeah Call of Duty, Battlefield, Team Fortress,  Counter Strike,  ARMA, Day Z, Garry's Mod, Minecraft etc.

Clans/websites will pay for hosting or directly host the servers by themselves. This allows for custom maps, gamemodes and mods and also allows admins to ban hackers and griefers.