By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Its Sad That Free Online Is Now A Selling Feature...

JoeTheBro said:
Things are changing. Back when online meant player to player connections, it was a joke to pay for online. Now with dedicated servers and all the very real costs associated with the online portions of games, paying for it is logical.

Yes i'm sure with $60 you give them for the game and DLCs, stupid skins cammos and all this kind off staff online games have nowdays they can't maintain dedicated sertvers -.-

Do you know on PC most games have dedicated servers and online is free there? :) 

Around the Network
Uabit said:
JoeTheBro said:
Things are changing. Back when online meant player to player connections, it was a joke to pay for online. Now with dedicated servers and all the very real costs associated with the online portions of games, paying for it is logical.

Yes i'm sure with $60 you give them for the game and DLCs, stupid skins cammos and all this kind off staff online games have nowdays they can't maintain dedicated sertvers -.-

Do you know on PC most games have dedicated servers and online is free there? :) 

^^^

Considering the state of the industry, its not surprising, but it is annoying. Sony tried the free multiplayer model, it didn't work. It was either drive up the cost of PS+ and the ancillary features of the PS4, locking many of its features behind a paywall, or distribute the cost around paid multiplayer. I don't like it, but its been working for MS for years, so it literally makes no sense for Sony to have free multiplayer while trying to compete with MS.

Nintendo is not competing with Sony or MS at this point, so it doesn't need to charge for its online, not to mention their vast cash reserves.

PC is not comparable either.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

JoeTheBro said:

What servers? Activision has dedicated servers for it's Call of Duty games and the server cost is out of the $60 you pay for the game.  Are Sony's exclusive multiplayer games in such demand that they need an additional fee when the 3rd party publishers don't?

kumagawa said:
JoeTheBro said:

What servers? Activision has dedicated servers for it's Call of Duty games and the server cost is out of the $60 you pay for the game.  Are Sony's exclusive multiplayer games in such demand that they need an additional fee when the 3rd party publishers don't?

Sony's Servers are hosting everything. Not just a single game. They switched multiplayer to PS+, so that the increased subscriptions would bear the brunt of the PS4 features and the legacy PS3 and Vita. While I personally dislike the practice, I understand it.

A year of Plus/Live essentially costs a retail game, so I won't buy the year till I need it like in the summertime.

MS's servers are in similar requirements, but XBL's fee is more out of tradition then neccesity for them, then again it might be neccessary to convince investors of the viability of the project.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
PureDante said:
Zero999 said:
PureDante said:

If you're capable of affording video games, whether it be your own money or your guardians, you're expected to pay up. It's an expensive luxury, both to develop and to enjoy.

Considering the millions it takes to develop and maintain games, as well as develop new future projects, you have to remember that the entire electronic arts industry costs a lot of money. And, as far as I'm concerned, prices only go up from here. 

So, the only thing I can suggest is...don't be cheap. :/

I can't believe someone still has the guts to say this. of course it's ok to pay for a GAME but no for something that should be free.

There 0 reason for it to be free when its a network (lets say Xbox live) that connects players to their games.
Thats:
1.  Electricity that has to be paid.
2. Servers that have to be maintained and patched and updated
3. Staff to work on upgrades, applying new features, apps etc.

Just because you purchased physical hardware, that gives 0 right to enjoying network access, which is what everyone seems to believe when they purchase into gaming.

But, believe me, I hate it just as much as anyone else. Nothing in life is free, especially not something that gives you joy from electronics.

The 3rd party publishers host there servers not Microsoft or Sony and they do not require additional fees on top of the $60 for the game.

The PS+ and Xbox Live are a cash grab plain and simple they are pure profit with 0 cost.

Microsoft did it because if it failed they could afford the risk and the moron public bit and now it's permanent.

The next step will be fees for online for individual games.  Because honestly there are enough idiots out there that Cod, Fifam Madden and GTA could do it now and people would pay it.

kumagawa said:

The 3rd party publishers host there servers not Microsoft or Sony and they do not require additional fees on top of the $60 for the game.

The PS+ and Xbox Live are a cash grab plain and simple they are pure profit with 0 cost.

Microsoft did it because if it failed they could afford the risk and the moron public bit and now it's permanent.

The next step will be fees for online for individual games.  Because honestly there are enough idiots out there that Cod, Fifam Madden and GTA could do it now and people would pay it.

The game hosting yes, the network features no.

Its not the same as forcing one to pay for netflix or youtube, the game's use of network features does go through the respective companies servers.

Online fees for individual games is DRM, it would fail immedeatly. 

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
kumagawa said:
JoeTheBro said:

Sony's Servers are hosting everything. Not just a single game. They switched multiplayer to PS+, so that the increased subscriptions would bear the brunt of the PS4 features and the legacy PS3 and Vita. While I personally dislike the practice, I understand it.

A year of Plus/Live essentially costs a retail game, so I won't buy the year till I need it like in the summertime.

MS's servers are in similar requirements, but XBL's fee is more out of tradition then neccesity for them, then again it might be neccessary to convince investors of the viability of the project.

LOL no if you play CoD or anyother 3rd party game on a Xbox or Playstation all the servers are owned by the publisher, Microsoft and Sony do nothing except make money charging you to connect your console to your ISP.

The best part is this:

You pay for the game
You pay for online (ISP gets paid)
You pay for online with your console (because they killed player hosted servers on purpose to have control and to get more money.)

Your ISP will probably end up limiting your online bandwidth for gaming until you pay even more (thats what they are planning right now)

And if you decided to play stuff like MMORPGs with a fee then you pay even more

You basically pay 5x just to play your damn game ROFL.

kumagawa said:

LOL no if you play CoD or anyother 3rd party game on a Xbox or Playstation all the servers are owned by the publisher, Microsoft and Sony do nothing except make money charging you to connect your console to your ISP.

The hosting of the game is done on the servers of the publisher. Consoles do not just connect you to the publishers servers ala PC.

The management of ancillary features such as recording, managing freinds list, trophies, etc... go through Sony/MS's servers. Even the match making that allows you to join games of those on your freind's list routes through Sony/MS's servers.

PSN gives this away for free on PS3 and Vita, but for the PS4, all games can be constantly streamed, allow player input, and some game can be played through streaming. All of the PS4's new network features must be paid for. And they are using the Multiplayer fee to redirect the costs.

All the third parties have to do is host their games.

Its not even comparable.

Not to mention that the legacy network features are being supported by the online fee. Multiplayer being free would jeopardize a lot of Sony's Network Ecosystem. I don't like it but I understand why its like this now.