By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Is being Gay an evolution of humans?

ninetailschris said:
Mr Khan said:
No species would develop population limiters unless they were in danger of over-population, whereas we humans generally haven't become overpopulated on the whole in our entire history before the last two hundred years or so.

Historically biologist will tell you limit-breakers are disease,decreasing of food supply, or new prey. I never heard of homosexually ever be on a list of limit-breakers.

So everytime Cloud uses Omnislash, kittens die? :(

Around the Network
IHateLife said:
Not much an evolution because they generally won't have off springs and so the genes die with them, there are also people that will never come out of the closet and there are bi-sexuals so they won't be completely wiped off the earth. I'm speaking out of logic of course since I'm straight and I have no problems with same sex relations in real life.

1st of all there isn't a gay gene... (but however recent studies link homosexuality with epigenetic markers)

2nd... you're aware that even gay people have parents... usually straight parents, from which they inherited their genetic traits.

I don't see much logic in your post...

IHateLife said:
Not much an evolution because they generally won't have off springs and so the genes die with them, there are also people that will never come out of the closet and there are bi-sexuals so they won't be completely wiped off the earth. I'm speaking out of logic of course since I'm straight and I have no problems with same sex relations in real life.

Not true...see Sexually Antagonistic Selection...The gene's that produce male homosexuality are gene's that are beneficial to fertility of women, but if passed to men have a feminizing effect. It's been observered that familes where the women are fertile and produce a lot of offspring with each child (especially where the children are predominatnly male) the risk increases that she might pass that set of gene's to a male child. The problem with this theory is that it only explains male homosexuality.

Not all theories suggest that homosexuality is purely genetic either...some suggest that homosexuality can also be caused be hormones that women produce in large quantities during gestation that can effect fetal development. However once again, much like Sexually Antagonistic Selection, this only explains male homosexuality.

I've seen little research on female homosexulity...but I suppose that is understandable given the hostile climate toward male homosexulity.

-- Nothing is nicer than seeing your PS3 on an HDTV through an HDMI cable for the first time.

spurgeonryan said:

I think it is a control mechanism for our planet. To keep it from being over populated.

Humans cannot choose whether or not they are straight or gay. They are just born that way. Yes, some can adopt or have surrogates or whatever it is called, but many cannot afford that.

With 6-7 billion people and counting, it will take more than China's horrific one child law, Wars, Genocide, diseases, old age, and accidental deaths to keep the Earth from being over populated. We cannot continue to grow like we have in the past 1,0000 years or so. It is not possible on this small planet.

I think it is also an evolution in the sense that now Humans have full control over themselves. They do not have to abide by archaic standards. Man and a Woman, etc. You have freed yourselves to be what you want to be. Nothing to hold you back. That was the last true hold that ancient systems had on us. In doing so, you have set us all free. If I wanted to be gay tomorrow I could. Do you all see how much power this gives the world?

I cannot wait to see what the next Century has in store for us!

No.  First off your first part and second part of your OP are contradictionary, with the first saying sexual orientation is not a choice but the second showing homosexuality  being an evolution of humans having full control and do not have to be what they are programed to be.

More importantly, the evolution theory doesn't support the idea that a quality that would curb your procreation abilty would be naturally selected.  Evolution's way of curbing an overpopulation would be to create offspring that would kill all the other competing humans and allow your own to have control of the limited resources.  But not kill your own offspring ( or rather limit your number of offspring and their offspring).

Now you could suggest that homosexuality is part of another non-evolution higher power that guides the human race and doesn't want it to overpopulate, but that's another topic.

Personally, I just think that homosexuality is just a mutation (like blonde hair or white skin) in whatever controls our sexual desires and makes us want the same sex instead of the opposite.  From an evolution perspective, it's very un-desireable as it descourages babies.  There are theories that it could be a protective measure for a corrupted gene (ie a person has some gene that could cause a weakness to a certain virus so another gene kicks in and descourages reproduction) or that the "gay gene" is a very desirable quality in some circumstance but not others (ie a woman with the male gay gene is a really awesome mother and has lots of kids so she is desireable genetically, but if her son gets the hyper-mom gene he likes other men).  I don't know and don't really care other than a little scientific curiousity.

But I don't think it's the "next evolution step".  Nor do I think it's a sign of evil.  Nor do I think everyone is born bisexual.  None of those make any sense, but people can believe what they will if it makes them feel good.

reggin_bolas said:

I have heard that argument so many times. I've also heard that we should abandon monagomy because no animal on this planet is monogamous. It doesn't work that way. Human beings are far too complex to be relegated to mere animals. And just because homosexuality can occur in other species doesn't make it desirable socially what so ever. 

Except...he didn't use that argument to prove that homosexuality should be accepted (homosexuality should be accepted for other reasons). He used that argument to disprove your assertion that homosexuality is unnatural. 

Unlesss of course your defining "natural" as "common" in which case you would be saying many other people are wrong purely because they are in the minority.

Either way you are wrong.

Around the Network
kaneada said:
IHateLife said:

Not true...see Sexually Antagonistic Selection...The gene's that produce male homosexuality are gene's that are beneficial to fertility of women, but if passed to men have a feminizing effect. It's been observered that familes where the women are fertile and produce a lot of offspring with each child (especially where the children are predominatnly male) the risk increases that she might pass that set of gene's to a male child. The problem with this theory is that it only explains male homosexuality.

Not all theories suggest that homosexuality is purely genetic either...some suggest that homosexuality can also be caused be hormones that women produce in large quantities during gestation that can effect fetal development. However once again, much like Sexually Antagonistic Selection, this only explains male homosexuality.

I've seen little research on female homosexulity...but I suppose that is understandable given the hostile climate toward male homosexulity.

Interesting read -> http://healthland.time.com/2012/12/13/new-insight-into-the-epigenetic-roots-of-homosexuality/

It's evolution (or what I would say devolution) in human thinking and society.Few decades ago homosexualism was what is today pedophilia.You would be imprisoned and quite possibly executed for being gay in the West.Today,that is still happening but in Muslim world because they didn't lose their morals.

So no,it's not evolution,it's just part of a larger picture of self-destruction of Western society which we can see in abismal birth rates,destruction of traditional family and secularisation (disappearence of religion).

But that gap has to be filled and Islam will do that.

~Mod Edit~

This post has been moderated.

-Smeags

spurgeonryan said:

I think it is a control mechanism for our planet. To keep it from being over populated.

Humans cannot choose whether or not they are straight or gay. They are just born that way. Yes, some can adopt or have surrogates or whatever it is called, but many cannot afford that.

With 6-7 billion people and counting, it will take more than China's horrific one child law, Wars, Genocide, diseases, old age, and accidental deaths to keep the Earth from being over populated. We cannot continue to grow like we have in the past 1,0000 years or so. It is not possible on this small planet.

I think it is also an evolution in the sense that now Humans have full control over themselves. They do not have to abide by archaic standards. Man and a Woman, etc. You have freed yourselves to be what you want to be. Nothing to hold you back. That was the last true hold that ancient systems had on us. In doing so, you have set us all free. If I wanted to be gay tomorrow I could. Do you all see how much power this gives the world?

I cannot wait to see what the next Century has in store for us!

No, nearly the complete opposite. Being Gay means you will have no say on Human Evolution by virtue of not passing on your genes.

Your opening sentence doesn't make any sense - 'a control mechanism for our planet' - why would the human race evolve to become an organism which can't procreate? Evolution is nearly akin to survivial of the fittest to pass ones own genes onto children which is biologically impossible.

Gay's on not born that way though or at least a lot of them are not. Every gay person I know has been molested at a young age.

Eternal said:

It's evolution (or what I would say devolution) in human thinking and society.Few decades ago homosexualism was what is today pedophilia.You would be imprisoned and quite possibly executed for being gay in the West.Today,that is still happening but in Muslim world because they didn't lose their morals.

So no,it's not evolution,it's just part of a larger picture of self-destruction of Western society which we can see in abismal birth rates,destruction of traditional family and secularisation (disappearence of religion).

But that gap has to be filled and Islam will do that.

How exactly do gays contribuit to the self destruction of the west? This has to be a joke post right?