By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Physical media is like "having a dead body handcuffed" to Xbox One

yes because we all want to sit their and watch a 20GB+ game to download then install...data caps? lol what's that!?

it takes me 10-15 min to go to my local gamestore(s) and beside I like my collectible item from CE's(Steel Cases/artbooks/comics/statues/ect? what's that!?)

Around the Network
Zappykins said:
greenmedic88 said:
Kind of a myopic point of view, but understandable.

How many people on VGC are current users of Steam? There you go. Media-less gaming functioning today. Functioning years ago. I've been doing the vast majority of my PC gaming on Steam since about 2007.

"Unlimited" HDD storage for game installs and the idea of having installer disks that have to be in the DVD tray for the security DRM check suddenly seems like a big annoyance. However, I do not maintain several terabytes worth of HDD space simply so I can have the convenience of immediate access to the terabytes worth of games that are in my Steam catalog. I have to pick and choose which ones I want to keep installed because gaming is not the only thing I use my PC or Mac for.

When it comes to my consoles, it's even less practical to have all my games installed, not that they would even fit on a 500GB HDD or a 1TB HDD. So until consoles are able to network with a home server that has TB worth of game data installed on it, sorry... but optical media must remain. Either that or it's choose which games you have immediate access to or simply don't buy/play so many games, which is no solution at all.

While I like, make that love, the ability to access my entire catalog of games from any PC with Steam installed on it, I still have to go through the process of downloading and installing before I can play anything, which sometimes takes hours.

And as long as console media functions as more than just a PC style installer/DRM check, give me the BD disks that don't have to install everything onto a console HDD. It's not that I like staring at all those game boxes lined up on my shelves, but until consoles grant access to unlimited local storage, or networks with the ability to grant access to full game downloads and installs faster than it takes to insert a disk and do a partial install, I don't want to ditch high capacity media.

So you are going to skip the PS3, PS4 and Xbox One?  As all of those do that.

It's acutally for the benifit of the developers.  They complained about the requirment of having to run of a disk on the Xbox 360.

The PS3 doesn't. If you own one, you should already know this. Many of the games require installs, but it's very rare when those reach, much less exceed 1GB. Typically, installs, when required, are much smaller. 

PS3 games purchased through the PSN Store and installed via DD are the only expections, which is a given. 

I already read the reports that XB1 game discs are only installers and that everything must be on the HDD. Unconfirmed, but if so and space becomes an issue due to 10GB + game installs, either MS has an answer for those who plan on having more than 40 games installed or I can put off a purchase of one until they do.

Feel free to post the link confirming that the PS4 is using the same full game install set up as the XB1. That's the first time I've heard this. 

arcane_chaos said:
yes because we all want to sit their and watch a 20GB+ game to download then install...data caps? lol what's that!?

it takes me 10-15 min to go to my local gamestore(s) and beside I like my collectible item from CE's(Steel Cases/artbooks/comics/statues/ect? what's that!?)

Yeah, and to top it of: You can emulate your original PSX/2 Dreamcast/Gamecube/Wii games on the PC and make them look better than ever (without pirating of course).....(crank the resolution up, apply all sorts of post processing filters, force AA etc)

I´m absolutely not interested in an all digital future, digital distribution is nice for small/cheap games like virtual console titles and niche releases that would be too expensive to localize otherwise....but the rest ? Physical all the way !

greenmedic88 said:
Zappykins said:
greenmedic88 said:
Kind of a myopic point of view, but understandable.

How many people on VGC are current users of Steam? There you go. Media-less gaming functioning today. Functioning years ago. I've been doing the vast majority of my PC gaming on Steam since about 2007.

"Unlimited" HDD storage for game installs and the idea of having installer disks that have to be in the DVD tray for the security DRM check suddenly seems like a big annoyance. However, I do not maintain several terabytes worth of HDD space simply so I can have the convenience of immediate access to the terabytes worth of games that are in my Steam catalog. I have to pick and choose which ones I want to keep installed because gaming is not the only thing I use my PC or Mac for.

When it comes to my consoles, it's even less practical to have all my games installed, not that they would even fit on a 500GB HDD or a 1TB HDD. So until consoles are able to network with a home server that has TB worth of game data installed on it, sorry... but optical media must remain. Either that or it's choose which games you have immediate access to or simply don't buy/play so many games, which is no solution at all.

While I like, make that love, the ability to access my entire catalog of games from any PC with Steam installed on it, I still have to go through the process of downloading and installing before I can play anything, which sometimes takes hours.

And as long as console media functions as more than just a PC style installer/DRM check, give me the BD disks that don't have to install everything onto a console HDD. It's not that I like staring at all those game boxes lined up on my shelves, but until consoles grant access to unlimited local storage, or networks with the ability to grant access to full game downloads and installs faster than it takes to insert a disk and do a partial install, I don't want to ditch high capacity media.

So you are going to skip the PS3, PS4 and Xbox One?  As all of those do that.

It's acutally for the benifit of the developers.  They complained about the requirment of having to run of a disk on the Xbox 360.

The PS3 doesn't. If you own one, you should already know this. Many of the games require installs, but it's very rare when those reach, much less exceed 1GB. Typically, installs, when required, are much smaller. 

PS3 games purchased through the PSN Store and installed via DD are the only expections, which is a given. 

I already read the reports that XB1 game discs are only installers and that everything must be on the HDD. Unconfirmed, but if so and space becomes an issue due to 10GB + game installs, either MS has an answer for those who plan on having more than 40 games installed or I can put off a purchase of one until they do.

Feel free to post the link confirming that the PS4 is using the same full game install set up as the XB1. That's the first time I've heard this. 

You confirm it in your own text that the PS3 games must be installed.  You seem to want to dismiss it, but that doesn't make it untrue.  This is because the Blu-ray data transfer is slower than a good DVD transfer rate when the PS3 was made. 

Sony already confirmed you can play once a certain level of the game is installed.  Microsoft as also confirmed you can play the game as it is installing as well.  This is a good thing for developers.  If Sony lets you run games from the Disk without any install, they they would hamper the PS4's abilities.

The Xbox 360 was help back because developers had to insure that all games could be run without a hard drive.  (Grand Theft Auto V being the first game to get around this restriction (perhaps cause the generation is over? - but you can just pop in a flash drive.)

I am not follow why do you think it's a bad thing to run off a hard dive?  Is it just running out of hard drive space?

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Zappykins said:

You confirm it in your own text that the PS3 games must be installed.  You seem to want to dismiss it, but that doesn't make it untrue.  This is because the Blu-ray data transfer is slower than a good DVD transfer rate when the PS3 was made. 

Sony already confirmed you can play once a certain level of the game is installed.  Microsoft as also confirmed you can play the game as it is installing as well.  This is a good thing for developers.  If Sony lets you run games from the Disk without any install, they they would hamper the PS4's abilities.

The Xbox 360 was help back because developers had to insure that all games could be run without a hard drive.  (Grand Theft Auto V being the first game to get around this restriction (perhaps cause the generation is over? - but you can just pop in a flash drive.)

I am not follow why do you think it's a bad thing to run off a hard dive?  Is it just running out of hard drive space?

The only PS3 games that require a full install are the ones you buy DD from the PSN Store. I'm not talking about installing files, game engines, frequently used resources, etc. We're talking about the entire game. And apparently you're not for what? The sake of winning an internet argument?

I have over 70 BD games sitting on my shelves. If every one of those games required a full game install they wouldn't all fit on a 500GB HDD. 

I'm not going down the whole list but:

Soul Calibur V = 58 MB

The Last of Us = 74 MB

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection = 217 MB

Catherine = 2306 MB

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune = 13 MB

Killzone 2 = 90 MB

Uncharted 3 = 101 MB

Getting the point? With most of these games, I could install hundreds and still have plenty of space. 

You're saying every PS4 game is going to look something like the following with full installs for everything:

Infamous = 15000 MB

Killzone = 20000 MB

Show me where this info is coming from.

Around the Network

Physical media is more efficient to start playing the game than to download rural area or not. It might clutter up a place but you dont need to spend the day downloading it or wishing you could because you dont live in a place with internet connection. The Xbox One is geared towards a smaller cross section namely in America and possibly in Britain.

Sounds about right, some asshole with plenty of money could care less how many people become jobless and how many kids starve as long as they can improve from 50 million dollars to 51 who cares if families starve....this is exactly why everyone hates America and I am with them greedy corporate assholes who look at peoples jobs and livlihoods as statistics. This is why the economy will never recover the margin between the rich and the poor is steadily growing, because of "profit margins"

Munkeh111 said:
anamme said:
Good article, but I don't really understand what this guy is trying to say in regards to Xbox One shipping without a disk drive. Wouldn't people just download these 30-40GB games on their computers instead, where infrastructure such as Steam already exists? Who would buy a $500 motion control TV remote, which is what the Xbox One would be reduced to in his scenario...

I guess he'd prefer if the console industry died out and soon, just in time for the release of his own mobile game.

Precisely, this is a man speaking in a very biased way as he seeks to justify his exit from the traditional boxed game market

Even with Steam on PC, there are still physical games, but they do rely on an activation code, giving you the best of both worlds. They do, however, avoid the massive downloads that are still problematic. They probably won't be an issue in 2-3 years in most places, but they are for 90% of people now and will still be an issue for a good percentage of people throughout this whole generation

Do people actually buy box copies of games on steam anymore.  I am probably one of the few people who do not even have steam setup on my PC but I cannot remember a time any of my friends have actually bought a PC game from the store.  Hell, Even I purchase Diablo and Starcraft from Blizzard.  I will say that he is right that physical disk based games are going away wherther people like it or not.  The timing and how long is the key.  What would make this happen is when you see, Console games selling cheaper online then retail.

Once that happens then it means that Sony and MS is not afraid to piss off their retail agreements and gamers will embrace this change like it was the second coming just like they do with steam today.

nuckles87 said:
There are some very big reasons to sell physical games when the internet exists: retail games are huge downloads and are only going to get bigger, which is going to require even more hard drive space then what current consoles are offering. I mean, we are talking about massive games upwards of 20 to as much as 50 gigs for some of these retail titles. PS3 already has games of this size. Uncharted 3 is so massive I couldn't even fit it on my hard drive along with the other PS3 games I wanted to download, and I have a 160 gig drive! Now imagine a console generation where blu ray is the standard across all gaming platforms and games the size of Uncharted 3 become the norm....even that 500 gig hard drive the One is sporting is going to start to look tiny.

And then there is the simple fact that many people don't even have the download speed for these games! Why is it that so many of these industry proffesionals live in a bubble where all of their customers have access to high speed internet?

This really is not something people can use to justify physical media.  Back in the day when people were download GB from torrent sites, and it took a day for the download to happen, millions of people still did it.  The only thing diffrerent here is that if your net speed is slow you will make a purchase and have it the next day.  Its not like people purchase a bunch of games at once.  Also on another tip for preorders just like steam, the games can be preloaded so you have it on release day.

Digital Distribution:

+Your games will never disappear, you will always have the ability to repossess them in the event of a disaster
+You can get games from your house if you didn't want to go to the store.
+You can save space in your house.
+You can access any of your games at a touch of a button, without having to switch discs.
+You are not using any physical resources so you are helping the environment's trash problem.

Physical Media:

+You own the games physically and therefore you can sell them easily when you're done with them.
+You don't have to wait hours for downloading to play, especially for large games.
+You are not limited by your bandwidth.
+You have less DRM to worry about, of course, considering if the platform doesn't go online only.
+You don't have to go through the trouble of buying external HDDs or other peripherals.
+You don't have to potentially uninstall other things on your computer in the event that you have too many games.
+You can buy games cheaper as they get older, unlike in DD where many if not most games stay at the same price.

Well it's obvious, anyone who says digital distribution is the wave of the future has not considered the limitations of that platform. Not everyone has internet (really, trust me) and not everyone has fast internet (obviously), and not everyone has unlimited bandwidth (yeah, to all you people who do, good on you).

I'm an advocate of both. I like to buy off Steam for smaller things such as expansion packs or games that are less than 2GB. But for a game like Total War, forget it. It would take me half a day of constant downloading to get it, plus patching.

Basically, you can't get rid of physical media until:

1. Internet speeds EVERYWHERE are fast enough, and there are no limitations in bandwidth (not in the next 50 years probably).
2. Online storage EVERYWHERE is unlimited and can be accessed 24/7 (not in the next 10 years probably).
3. Game companies learn a code of ethics where they lower prices on digital titles since they are obviously cheaper to produce (never, probably, especially for EA. Did you know that to buy Mass Effect 2 DLC still costs the same on Origin now as it did years ago? And did you know that SimCity on Origin at launch cost I believe $5 more than from a store? I'm not even sure now if they've lowered the price. Everything is more expensive in Origin. EA can go to hell.).

Therefore, physical media will never go away, or at least it won't go away for another few decades. Anyone who says otherwise is delusional, biased, or simply idiotic, including this so-called developer in the thread start.