By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - EA won't "Gimp" 360 game despite tough PS3 development

krik said:
kingofwale said:
I'm a little confused about the sudden love from EA?

Is this the same EA we had in 07? the one that released Madden on PS3 with 30fps?

What's going on there in EA?

LOL, EA still pulls in most of it's revenue from PS2's software sales so I think finally realized that the PS3 will be the future and not the 360.

really? i though the xbox360 was/is

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

> the answer is simple

>Peter Moore

are you accusing Peter Moore of stabbing xbox in the back by favouring PS3? ;)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
ssj12 said:
Redwood Shore? what dev team is that? Did Redwood Studios change their name? If its not Redwood Studios what games have they made? They sound like a crap hole studio trying to ripoff the great name of Redwood Studios.

It's funny because when I first read the original post I thought it said Redwood Studios. Then I looked again and wondered "Who the hell are these guys?".

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

kingofwale said:

> the answer is simple

>Peter Moore

are you accusing Peter Moore of stabbing xbox in the back by favouring PS3? ;)

Peter Moore said it himself that he will push EA to make the PS3 version of game devs to make the games the best they can. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

TheBigFatJ said:
ChronotriggerJM said:
I'm actually not sure I interpreted that quite right >_>;;; Could someone translate ;-;?

Well, you can read the article.

"Right now we're leading and building and doing everything on the 360. Pretty soon in a month or two we will switch and lead on the PS3. That is so that you're not downgrading the PS3 later. We're putting all our engineering muscle into making the PS3 great, and then we'll know that the 360 will be great."

The statement is basically that the 360 can easily run a PS3-developed game, but the PS3 can struggle to run a 360 developed game.  This is because the 360 has more general purpose CPU time and slightly more fill rate.  If you develop toward the lesser set of specs (PS3), then multi platform development will be easier.

There's a bit of PR in the way he said some things, but that's the jist.  However, I'd gladly trade slightly lower specs (PS3) for better quality hardware (PS3). 

Harder to develop for =/= lesser specs. Just because the coding has to be done differently doesn't translate to the 360 easily running a PS3 game. Matter of fact, as the article says, aren't they building it as a 360 game right now, THEN shifting to PS3? Wouldn't that make the original build for 360, and then showing how the PS3 can run the game?

I think we all know the PS3 does not have lower specs, just more complicated ones

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
Redwood Shore? what dev team is that? Did Redwood Studios change their name? If its not Redwood Studios what games have they made? They sound like a crap hole studio trying to ripoff the great name of Redwood Studios.

Or it could just be that they're both based in Redwood Shores, in Redwood City California.

You know. Where EA is located.

That'd be my guess personally.  Actually i'd guess they were the same team.

They're the previous development team combined with Maxis from what i know. Whcih gives them some games like

Sim City, The Sims games and the Tiger Woods golf games.

So they have some pretty notable sellers on their development list.

Not sure what "Redwood Studios" has made.

BMaker11 said:
TheBigFatJ said:
ChronotriggerJM said:
I'm actually not sure I interpreted that quite right >_>;;; Could someone translate ;-;?

Well, you can read the article.

"Right now we're leading and building and doing everything on the 360. Pretty soon in a month or two we will switch and lead on the PS3. That is so that you're not downgrading the PS3 later. We're putting all our engineering muscle into making the PS3 great, and then we'll know that the 360 will be great."

The statement is basically that the 360 can easily run a PS3-developed game, but the PS3 can struggle to run a 360 developed game. This is because the 360 has more general purpose CPU time and slightly more fill rate. If you develop toward the lesser set of specs (PS3), then multi platform development will be easier.

There's a bit of PR in the way he said some things, but that's the jist. However, I'd gladly trade slightly lower specs (PS3) for better quality hardware (PS3).

Harder to develop for =/= lesser specs. Just because the coding has to be done differently doesn't translate to the 360 easily running a PS3 game. Matter of fact, as the article says, aren't they building it as a 360 game right now, THEN shifting to PS3? Wouldn't that make the original build for 360, and then showing how the PS3 can run the game?

I think we all know the PS3 does not have lower specs, just more complicated ones

Actually it said that they were doing it on the 360, then switching it to the PS3 because the PS3 version was having trouble doing what the 360 could do.  Then they were going to port it back over to the 360.

The PS3 has become the lead console because you need to optimize the hell out of it to get an equal amount of ability than you could the 360.  In other words, they are going to do there best to have it be as good a game as they wanted on the 360 and hope they'll succeed, but if the game sucks... it's probably because they had to spend forever optimizing for the PS3.  

@ TheBigFatJ
The guy mentions the fill rate, but also points out in the same sentence that he does not come from a developer background. He is the executive producer of the game, not a programmer. He even begins to say that the PS3 can't handle the physics, then corrects himself by saying that it is just more difficult. As anyone familiar with the cell architecture will know, it is pretty much custom built for physics calculations. It's design has a number of similarities with Ageia's PhysX PPU. It is unquestionably better than the 360 in this regard. The 360's general purpose advantage is only really better for things like A.I., but they are not as processor intensive as physics, so the advantage is completely negated.

All things considered, the PS3 quite clearly has higher specs than the 360, but the more complex design means it requires more development time. This game is being ported to PC, so leading with the 360 is just common sense, as it is kind of a middle ground.

Im glad that developers are focusing more on the PS3. They have the 360 down cause its technology has been around forever. It looks like if you have experienced developers you can make games that look far better (MGS4, Uncharted, GT5, etc.) Although I think that we will be seeing crap games come out for awhile as well on the ps3 (Conflict:Denied ops!, DW6!)

I don't think its a matter of specs, but a matter of familiarity and development difficulty.

The PS3 is clearly the harder and less common architecture. Therefore instead of building on the 360 and then trying to port to PS3, which has routinely proven to have PS3's games that are flat out worse than their 360 versions. They will build it on the PS3 to ensure the game runs really well there and then port over to the 360 which will give them a much smoother transition since they are far more familiar with the system.

Makes perfect sense to me.

EDIT: Plus, EA recently stated that 2008 will be PS3 > 360, so they are shifting their resources to match their expectations.