By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Addressing The Argument That Japanese Developers Are Not As Good As Western

areason said:
I think the problem of most japanese games is their style, it's hard to take them seriously, they are or overly over the top in a bad way, or like most jrgs have a style that many people dislike.

See my mention of Star Ocean 4 above. I think I stopped play when some random over stereotype military woman was laughing with awful voice acting and sound in general. Character interaction was sometimes dire in that game.What changed though, JRPGs have always had a certain amount of 'comic relief/cute' characters but are our attitudes changing or are they jsut more noticeable as games 'improve'?

I was saying to someone the other day (in real life!!) that a character like Steiner in modern FF games would never work. It's kinda sad, he is a fantastic character.

Anfebious said:
Japanese devs are just as good and even better in some cases to western developers. 

If we are guiding ourselves by Metacritic, The legend of Zelda Ocarina of time has a 99 and is the highest rated game of all time. This gen there where 2 super mario games with a 97 score on metacritic. That, is quite impressive if you ask me. Also they deserve it far more than GTA 4, seriously 98 on metacritic? That game was really bad compared to the older ones.

Edge Magazine reviews might be a good example, they have given 9 tens this generation, more than the last 2 gens combined (are games getting that much better?) but out of those 9 four were japanese made. That's good, although 2 were Mario Galaxy (1 and 2). GTA5 will get another 10 based on their recent obsession with giving high marks.

On the subject, here is an example of my idea that studios/publishers are abandoning known franchises. http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/interest/2013-04-06/producer/new-star-ocean-valkyrie-profile-romancing-saga-not-being-made-now

Sad as I'd love to see a new Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile. I just hope Drakengard 3 gets localised.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

The reason I think Western games are leaps and bounds better is not graphics and online. It's everything. Story, characters, setting, gameplay, music, graphics, art style, etc etc. And please, western games cap out at 8 hours? Bullshit. Just this year Ive put in over 50 hours each into Far Cry 3, Skyrim, Red Dead. Sure, maybe CoD is shorter campaign wise but you already know that's not the point of the game, online competition is.

KylieDog said:
MDMAlliance said:

Really, the way you're rating these, what Western games are doing anything new or original if you don't include indie games?
You're bad at this.

Not at all, look at the GTA series, 2D top down on PS1, fully 3D on PS2, fully openworld and more featured world on PS3.  The dev took the new hardware each time and made massive advances each time.  Why are most JRPGs still using 2D non animated images for characters in dialogue like they did on PS1? 

If you can use GTA, why not use Zelda?  Started top down on the NES, turned fully 3D on the N64, motion controls (and I would add more if I played the game) on the Wii, and there may be yet another one of these innovations for the series in the one for Wii U.

I wouldn't call Japanese games better at story. They just tend to fall back on a different set of tropes (again and again) and are more likely to be text-based so you don't have to put up with terrible voice acting so much.

What I do think Japanese developers are better at is art design and polish. The art design tends to be cleaner and more unique, while western developers tend to choose from only a handful of styles and embellish an absurd amount of detail in a misguided effort to demonstrates how sophisticated their graphics are. And Japanese devs are far less likely to be seduced by the idea that glitches in the game are acceptable and can be fixed post-release.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

The thing is... oddly most JAPANESE developers seem to agree too. Or at least the more renowned ones.

If I had to guess why, i'd say that it has nothing to do with graphics... they say that because Western Game Development has changed vastly while Japanese games... while still good. are basically the same The designs mostly are the same they've always been.

Back when JRPGs copied Ultima.

Around the Network
Hynad said:

I've been saying for quite some time now that most of the major japanese developers now create extensive tutorials with games around them.

I know, there are still a few good games, but the major franchises I like have taken that turn. And it's really annoying.

That is why I think Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are a really nice breath of fresh air. It doesn't hold your hand. It gives you a system and it's up to you to find the proper way to use it and maximize the results.

The newest games in series like Final Fantasy and Zelda are now really long tutorials where the joy of discovery is lost compared to their older titles.

So while I don't think their games suck, I do agree with what Jonathan Blow expressed in that indie thing video that was circulating here recently.

I would agree with you on some of that. As I stated myself, many companies I used to love, like Capcom, like Konami, like Squaresoft, they used to put out games that were almost always guaranteed to be good, if not outright amazing. A long time ago. But within the last 15+ years, they're really all gone progressively downhill, further and further. To the point now that Capcom and Konami both seem fairly incapable of actually making anything by themselves, except for RE and MGS. They farm out their other franchises, or at least the ones they even bother with anymore, to outside developers, and now even Western developers. Look what a western dev did, for example, to Castlevania. Not a fan of that at all, personally, even though I hadn't been a fan of what Konami themselves had been trying to do with 3D CV for a long time. They at least used to make solid-to-good 2D CV games for portables. Now they don't even do that. And Final Fantasy has been in the shitter for a long time as well.

But the one area that I disagree with Blow, is in acting like these bigger publishers are all that matter. As if they're the only example of modern Japanese development. A lot of the developers I've previous mentioned, like Good-Feel, like Vanillaware, like Pixel, and Nigoro, and Team Ico, and Platinum, etc., I feel they're some of the very best development houses in the industry right now. And in general, I just felt it was really snobbish of Fish and Blow, etc., to take that stance publicly, and basically dress down that poor Japanese guy, as if they were experts on great gaming and could "Teach the Japanese a thing or two"....it was just really arrogant.

joesampson said:
The reason I think Western games are leaps and bounds better is not graphics and online. It's everything. Story, characters, setting, gameplay, music, graphics, art style, etc etc. And please, western games cap out at 8 hours? Bullshit. Just this year Ive put in over 50 hours each into Far Cry 3, Skyrim, Red Dead. Sure, maybe CoD is shorter campaign wise but you already know that's not the point of the game, online competition is.

Just keep in mind that that is your personal taste and opinions talking. Just as mine are. It certainlty isn't a "fact" that western devs are "better". It all boils down to peope's personal preferences in gaming styles.

the whole west vs east argument is dependent on generalizations