By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Addressing The Argument That Japanese Developers Are Not As Good As Western

Goatseye said:
BossPuma said:

COD is more of a rage inducer, than a high quality experience.

Any there are many people who play COD, and have never played a JRPG

If people rage while they're playing COD they need to get themselves checked and socialize.

Thats just my opinion. I dont enjoy, Call of Duty because the gameplay is unbalanced, its way too easy to shoot and kill, and there are campers. You cant honestly believe that no one can be mad or scream bullshit when they get killed in a multiplayer match.

Around the Network

Out of curiosity does any Japanese game developer acknowledge that Japanese games don't match Western games quality? Or is it something that only non-Japanese game developers say?

This discussion seems pretty pointless. Obviously Japanese like their Japanese games while Americans like their Western Games.

Not to mention that apparently Americans always felt like they had something to prove in the video game industry against the Japanese. That's why they're consistently bashing Japanese games now, since there's the general idea that Japanese games suck now. Take that Phil Fish video for instance, where the Japanese dude was pretty much publicly humiliated by everyone in there.

misterchoc90 said:
Out of curiosity does any Japanese game developer acknowledge that Japanese games don't match Western games quality? Or is it something that only non-Japanese game developers say?

Kojima said on Twitter that he was depressed by the quality of GTA5, and didnt think MGS5 could match it. But it was a very weird tweet, and he could have been paid to say that.

KingdomHeartsFan said:

I'm sick of hearing people say that Japanese games are lower quality than Western games.  The people that are saying this I can guarantee are basing the arguement based soley on graphics.  The only thing that western games tend to be better than Japanese games is for graphics and online, almost everything else tends to be better on Japanese games.  Story in Japanese games is leaps and bounds ahead of Western games and anyone that disagrees obviously has not played enough Japanese games.  You also get way more bang for your buck with Japanese games with most being around 20 hours and most Western games being around 8 hours.  

I also hear a lot that Japanese games are not as good as they used to be...what?  The number of Japanese games has gone down, but the games are just as good as they have ever been or even better.  Games like Ni No Kuni, X, MGS 4 or 5, Super Mario Galaxy, Batonetta 2, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Xillia, Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 4 or D2, Last Guardian (if it ever comes out), FF15, Lost Odyssey and Fire Emblem Awakening, just off the top of my head.  People that are saying this are either stuck in the past or they are simply not playing any of these games and think they are in any position to talk about the state of Japanese games.

I'm not saying Japanese games are better than Western games or Western are better than Japanese, as I said both have their aspects that they do better than the other.  I'm just sick of people saying discouraging things about Japanese games when they don't even play them and are in no position to say the things they say.

Saying that people who don't think Japanese games are as good as Western games either only care about graphics or just haven't played very many Japanese games is ridiculous.

There are these things called opinions. I'd advise you look into them.

KingdomHeartsFan said:

Basicaly every movie based game, every gear of war game, every uncharted game, every halo game, every cod game, Tomb Raider, every Bioshock game, Max Payne 3, both L4D games, every god of war game, heavy rain, the dead space games, batman arkyam city, both Prototype games, prince of persia the forgotten sands, fable 2, every littlebigplanet game, splinter cell conviction, every army of two game, bodycount, every bf game, brink, blur, bulletstorm, bionic commando, both crackdown games, crysis 2 and 3.  Honestly I could go on all day, but I think I've made my point.

I'll sacrifice hours of game anyday to get the joy of the fabulous game mechanics/ gameplay coupled with nice graphics from the above mentioned games.

One of the reasons I don't play JRPG anymore is because of the turn based combat system I used to love in Pokemon during my youth. It messes up my mood and the dynamic of the combat in comparison to just real time action system. And for my unsatisfaction most if not all of JRPG's are equipped with turn based system.

The disparity in between the Eastern and Western games in terms of variety intra genre is immense. I like the freedom of Skyrim for example to tackle an enemy in different ways instead of just being put on a stage to exchange blows in turns. That's fine with me but it's not my cup of tea.

Around the Network
Goatseye said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Basicaly every movie based game, every gear of war game, every uncharted game, every halo game, every cod game, Tomb Raider, every Bioshock game, Max Payne 3, both L4D games, every god of war game, heavy rain, the dead space games, batman arkyam city, both Prototype games, prince of persia the forgotten sands, fable 2, every littlebigplanet game, splinter cell conviction, every army of two game, bodycount, every bf game, brink, blur, bulletstorm, bionic commando, both crackdown games, crysis 2 and 3.  Honestly I could go on all day, but I think I've made my point.

I'll sacrifice hours of game anyday to get the joy of the fabulous game mechanics/ gameplay coupled with nice graphics from the above mentioned games.

One of the reasons I don't play JRPG anymore is because of the turn based combat system I used to love in Pokemon during my youth. It messes up my mood and the dynamic of the combat in comparison to just real time action system. And for my unsatisfaction most if not all of JRPG's are equipped with turn based system.

The disparity in between the Eastern and Western games in terms of variety intra genre is immense. I like the freedom of Skyrim for example to tackle an enemy in different ways instead of just being put on a stage to exchange blows in turns. That's fine with me but it's not my cup of tea.

Monster Hunter, Dark Souls, Kingdom Hearts, Tales games, and there's more I just am not thinking of them right now.

-_- I hope you realize better is an opinion.

KingdomHeartsFan said:
pokoko said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
pokoko said:

Fighting generalizations with more generalizations is meaningless. Sorry, but you're doing the same thing they are. I mean, most western games are 8 hours? I've put tons of hours into Fallout New Vegas, Torchlight 2, AudioSurf, and Borderlands 2 over the last six months. What about Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age?

These generalizations accomplish nothing. If you want to defend Japanese games, fine, but trying to do that by lumping all western games together serves no real purpose.

I said most, not all.  I can honestly name way more western games that clock around 8 hours than you can name that are significantly longer.

Ok.  Go ahead.

Borderlands 1 & 2, Torchlight 1 & 2, Fallout 3 & New Vegas, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Dragon Age 1 & 2, Deponia, Dead Island, Tomb Raider (2013), Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Alan Wake, BioShock Infinite, The Last of Us, Alan Wake, Dishonored, Saint's Row the Third, The Witcher 1 & 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum, the Assassin's Creed games, the Mass Effect games, Darksiders 1 & 2, Just Cause 2, Far Cry 2 & 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, All the Grand Theft Auto games, Hitman: Absolution, LA Noire, Red Dead Redemption, Psychonauts, the Fable games, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Dead Space, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Infamous 2, Lego City ...  I think that's enough to make my point.  Everything there averages over 10 hours just for the main story and more for people who do side objectives.

pokoko said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
pokoko said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
pokoko said:

Fighting generalizations with more generalizations is meaningless. Sorry, but you're doing the same thing they are. I mean, most western games are 8 hours? I've put tons of hours into Fallout New Vegas, Torchlight 2, AudioSurf, and Borderlands 2 over the last six months. What about Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age?

These generalizations accomplish nothing. If you want to defend Japanese games, fine, but trying to do that by lumping all western games together serves no real purpose.

I said most, not all.  I can honestly name way more western games that clock around 8 hours than you can name that are significantly longer.

Ok.  Go ahead.

Borderlands 1 & 2, Torchlight 1 & 2, Fallout 3 & New Vegas, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Dragon Age 1 & 2, Deponia, Dead Island, Tomb Raider (2013), Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Alan Wake, BioShock Infinite, The Last of Us, Alan Wake, Dishonored, Saint's Row the Third, The Witcher 1 & 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum, the Assassin's Creed games, the Mass Effect games, Darksiders 1 & 2, Just Cause 2, Far Cry 2 & 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, All the Grand Theft Auto games, Hitman: Absolution, LA Noire, Red Dead Redemption, Psychonauts, the Fable games, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Dead Space, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Infamous 2, Lego City ...  I think that's enough to make my point.  Everything there averages over 10 hours just for the main story and more for people who do side objectives.

Fuse, fracture, fear 2 and 3, frontlines fuel of war, gun, goldeneye 007 reloaded, homefront, inversion, injustice gods amoung us, kane and lynch 1 and 2 dog days, killzone 2, 3 and liberation, basically every kinect game, lair, lego batman 1 and 2, mag, perfect dark zero.

KingdomHeartsFan said:
pokoko said:

Fuse, fracture, fear 2 and 3, frontlines fuel of war, gun, goldeneye 007 reloaded, homefront, inversion, injustice gods amoung us, kane and lynch 1 and 2 dog days, killzone 2, 3 and liberation, basically every kinect game, lair, lego batman 1 and 2, mag, perfect dark zero.

Ugh.  Nevermind, man.  Just go ahead with your generalizations.  It's completely meaningless but I no longer have any interest in this.  Still, really, a fighting game?  An online only game?  Really?

... nevermind.