By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Addressing The Argument That Japanese Developers Are Not As Good As Western

NintendoPie said:
BossPuma said:
The problem with most Western developers is that they tend to focus on Graphics> Gameplay.

That's not always true. 

Most of the games listed in Pokoko's post, even though I severely dislike most of them, are heavily gameplay centric.

I say that because of devs like Crytec or Naughty Dog, who are determined to make the best looking games, yet barely evolve the gameplay in any meaningful way. 

I just watched some gameplay for Beyond Two Souls and it honestly looked more like a movie than a game.

Around the Network
BossPuma said:
The people saying that probably only play Call of Duty and never heard of JRPGs

Really? Where you got that from?

COD has an unparalled gameplay mechanics in realistic military FPS genre. It's the bar set for all the military FPS.

The fun meter must be the highest in the industry because it's best selling franchise at the moment. So all that COD bashing and mocking it's from people that never played it or suck at it.

Now back on track, people voicing that Japanese game suck it's because they don't like it not because Japanese game really suck(we all know that's not true).

People just have different taste for games and Japanese games have become scarce this gen and those games have become alien to most of the western gamers.

BasilZero said:
BossPuma said:

I say that because of devs like Crytec or Naughty Dog, who are determined to make the best looking games, yet barely evolve the gameplay in any meaningful way. 

I just watched some gameplay for Beyond Two Souls and it honestly looked more like a movie than a game.

Because it is, its a interactive movie like game just like Heavy Rain.

interactive drama action-adventure video game

^ as far as it is called.

But is it fun? Thats what games are about... right?

It's pretty obvious that the trend of saying Western games are better than Japanese has to do with the 360 and FPS success this gen.

However, I think it's true that nowadays Western games are evolving more than the Japanese ones. But I still think they are on par.

pokoko said:

Fighting generalizations with more generalizations is meaningless. Sorry, but you're doing the same thing they are. I mean, most western games are 8 hours? I've put tons of hours into Fallout New Vegas, Torchlight 2, AudioSurf, and Borderlands 2 over the last six months. What about Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age?

These generalizations accomplish nothing. If you want to defend Japanese games, fine, but trying to do that by lumping all western games together serves no real purpose.

LOL.  Don't get me wrong, Audiosurf isn't a bad game.  I have it too (got it soon after it released).  However, it's not exactly a game you complete.  It's more like an arcade game.

Around the Network
pokoko said:

Fighting generalizations with more generalizations is meaningless. Sorry, but you're doing the same thing they are. I mean, most western games are 8 hours? I've put tons of hours into Fallout New Vegas, Torchlight 2, AudioSurf, and Borderlands 2 over the last six months. What about Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age?

These generalizations accomplish nothing. If you want to defend Japanese games, fine, but trying to do that by lumping all western games together serves no real purpose.

I said most, not all.  I can honestly name way more western games that clock around 8 hours than you can name that are significantly longer.  

KylieDog said:
Japan doesn't evolve much, most of their games feature outdated gameplay that is stuck in the PS1 or PS2 era.

This gen it has been the west that has pushed online, pushed graphics and pushed new gameplay experiences. Japan has mostly pushed copy followed by paste.

Pushing online in the West comes naturally when in Japan it isn't nearly as big as it is in the West.  Pushing new gameplay experiences?  I would like to know what those are.  Pushed graphics? Is that really that important?  Yes, I think SOMEONE should do it.  However, it's not really that big of a deal, especially when there are games from Japan that look just as good as Western games graphically.

Also, outdated gameplay?  Such as what?  What is "outdated gameplay" even?  

BasilZero said:
BossPuma said:

But is it fun? Thats what games are about... right?

I wouldnt know. Never played any of their games.

But each person has their own tastes. Some people love deep stories in their games - the same reason why people love Telltale's The Walking Dead.

I apreciate good stories, but it is possible to have a great story as well as fun gameplay. Imagine if The Walking Dead was a classic 3rd person adventure, zombie survival game like The Last of Us, instead of a slow paced point and click game.

MDMAlliance said:
pokoko said:

LOL.  Don't get me wrong, Audiosurf isn't a bad game.  I have it too (got it soon after it released).  However, it's not exactly a game you complete.  It's more like an arcade game.

Rats, you're right, because I said complete.  LOL, wait, no I didn't.  What does that have to do with anything?  

KingdomHeartsFan said:
pokoko said:

I said most, not all.  I can honestly name way more western games that clock around 8 hours than you can name that are significantly longer.

Ok.  Go ahead.