By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Addressing The Argument That Japanese Developers Are Not As Good As Western

Osc89 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
Osc89 said:
Kind of weird you list games that haven't come out. They don't really demonstrate anything yet.

So the trailers out for them don't demonstrate anything?  There are even reviews for some of those that are already out in Japan so we basically already know they are good.

Trailers don't demonstrate that a game will be great. They could always turn out like Aliens Colonial Marines.

Aliens Colonial Marianes is the exception, not the trend.

Around the Network
Goatseye said:
Stories in Japanese games better than their Western counterpart?
I'm sorry but the maturity on Most of their games cap at age 14. I grew out of Japanese games, mostly JRPG.
Cliche characters don't capture my attention anymore nor does fantasy stories that seem echoed in a lot of internal competition.
This is obviously my point of view. Japanese games obviously doesn't suck but they are lagging behind West in graphical terms and variety(sports,fps's,tps's,open world games and even other types of RPG like action a la Mass Effect).

There are numerous open world Japanese games, multiple platforms ie Nintendo, multiple different kinds of RPGs, your typical JRPG, a game like Dark Souls, a game like Dragon's Dogma, action RPGs like Tales of Xillia, numerous hack and slahers like Dynasty Warriors, numerous TRPGs like Disgeaea, TPS's like the Resident Evil games, Fighting games like Street Fighter, and numerous adventure games like Okami.  Games from developers like Platnum games are some of the most unigue games we have.  Japanese games have plenty of variety.

Goatseye said:
Stories in Japanese games better than their Western counterpart?
I'm sorry but the maturity on Most of their games cap at age 14. I grew out of Japanese games, mostly JRPG.
Cliche characters don't capture my attention anymore nor does fantasy stories that seem echoed in a lot of internal competition.
This is obviously my point of view. Japanese games obviously doesn't suck but they are lagging behind West in graphical terms and variety(sports,fps's,tps's,open world games and even other types of RPG like action a la Mass Effect).

The maturity of most video games in general caps out around there. Would you like me to name some immature Western games? It would be easy.

The people saying that probably only play Call of Duty and never heard of JRPGs

I don't eat noodles while watching anime nor do i pretend to be Japanese, so it doesn't bother me.

Around the Network

The problem with most Western developers is that most focus on Graphics> Gameplay.

KingdomHeartsFan said:
Osc89 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
So the trailers out for them don't demonstrate anything?  There are even reviews for some of those that are already out in Japan so we basically already know they are good.

Trailers don't demonstrate that a game will be great. They could always turn out like Aliens Colonial Marines.

It's an extreme example where even actual gameplay didn't represent the game. It is common for a trailer not to tell you much about game quality. The people doing the advertising aren't the people making the game.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

BossPuma said:
The problem with most Western developers is that they tend to focus on Graphics> Gameplay.

That's not always true. 

Most of the games listed in Pokoko's post, even though I severely dislike most of them, are heavily gameplay centric.

KingdomHeartsFan said:
Osc89 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
Osc89 said:
Kind of weird you list games that haven't come out. They don't really demonstrate anything yet.

Dead Island is another exception?

Wright said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
Osc89 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
Osc89 said:

Dead Island is another exception?

Do you honestly think you can name enough bad games with good trailers to make them not the exception...I could literally name 100s of good games that had good trailers.