By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - "Microsoft will vanish in 5 or 10 years, Facebook in 3" explains FSF President.

Tagged games:

What will happen?

Microsoft and FB will disappear. 62 12.16%

Only Microsoft will vanish. 22 4.31%

Only FB will vanish. 102 20.00%

Neither will be erased. 148 29.02%

They both will be erased,... 69 13.53%

No one lives forever. 58 11.37%

Show me the results. 45 8.82%

Total:506
disolitude said:
He's just driving his agenda with absolutely no ideas based on reality.

What a moron...

Took the words eight out of my mouth.

Not much more to say really

Around the Network
RenCutypoison said:

He compares to myspace. He is not talking about closing the website, but people loosing interest in it, progressively.

Let's face the facts, who's on facebook now ? Everybody's parents. It's not cool anymore.

So, where are people going now if not Facebook?  Only site I know.

Interesting you say that as my parents (and older relatives) are pretty much the only people I know not on Facebook. 

btw does he believe microsoft is making all the money with windows? the time when microsoft was all about windows is already long gone and whatever they will do the next years will make them even less a windows company. not that they wouldn't already have stuff like their server&tools section. 

wait.. what?

Facebook is 2nd nature to everybody at this point. And as long as you have students...you will need MS Office.

No words to describe how wrong this claim is.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
Mistershine said:
And the alternative is what? Linux? It's made huge strides but it's still far from being user friendly enough for the general public. OSX I suppose is the other option but it's far from wallet friendly enough for most.

It's Linux already. During the last 10 or so years, Linux was an unbelievable success story. Already today, people are buying much more devices running Linux than devices running Windows.

They just don't even realize it, and that's quite funny. Most people are exclusively judging Linux' success based on it's market share as a x86-based desktop PC operating system. And in this area, Linux is still almost as irrelevant as it was 10 years ago. Instead, Linux' success story began with the rise of the mobile and embedded devices that became popular in recent years and where the actual operating system is more or less invisible to the user.

Microsoft will remain to be the king of x86-based desktop PC operating systems. But x86-based desktop PCs will become more and more irrelevant. Microsoft's operating system situation is like having a perfect monopoly on horse shoes at the beginning of the 20th century.

Compared to Facebook, Microsoft however has the advantage of it's business being much more diversified. Microsoft has long understood that Windows and Office will become more and more irrelevant in the future, and that therefor they have to look for other markets. But so far, they haven't found a single field where their success is even remotely comparable to that of Windows and Office.

Microsoft-Maybe, we're seeing the trend of other OS being popular already. Smartphones in particular. I think the monopoly will break soon.

Facebook-everything will have an end, but for Facebook, it is not 3 years. I do agree that the appeal of Facebook's "know what everyone is doing and tell your friends what you're doing" isn't as appealing in the always connected world we'll be moving onto. We won't need Facebook exclusively for that anymore.

Nintendo-DOOMMEDD

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Augen said:
RenCutypoison said:

He compares to myspace. He is not talking about closing the website, but people loosing interest in it, progressively.

Let's face the facts, who's on facebook now ? Everybody's parents. It's not cool anymore.

So, where are people going now if not Facebook?  Only site I know.

Interesting you say that as my parents (and older relatives) are pretty much the only people I know not on Facebook. 

You're lucky. Facebook is the reason my parents know I smoke, and can check out who I hang out with, if they like the page "Legalize" etc

For other sites, there are twitter and instagram, but I'm not into these kind of stuff in general.

Then there are specific social networks, like deviantart.

But seriously, 35-50 years old are invading facebook.

there is a loop that goes this way in social networking, for the demographics :

Nerds -> Cool youngs -> Marketers -> Parents -> Nostalgic folks that come back once a year on the site, or a specific community (like music on myspace)

and the alternative route :

Nerds -> Google employees

RenCutypoison said:

You're lucky. Facebook is the reason my parents know I smoke, and can check out who I hang out with, if they like the page "Legalize" etc

For other sites, there are twitter and instagram, but I'm not into these kind of stuff in general.

Then there are specific social networks, like deviantart.

But seriously, 35-50 years old are invading facebook.

there is a loop that goes this way in social networking, for the demographics :

Nerds -> Cool youngs -> Marketers -> Parents -> Nostalgic folks that come back once a year on the site, or a specific community (like music on myspace)

and the alternative route :

Nerds -> Google employees

So Facebook will not be opposed so much by a single site, but a cobbling together of various aspects of what it offers?

For me easy way to organize social events among large groups of people and easy way to stay in touch.  To me it still feels young...then again I may not be considered young anymore (twenty-eight). 

I hope he is right.