By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which cancelled games were you most looking forward to, and why?

Th3PANO said:
Earthbound 64

I was wondering how long it'd be until this one showed up.

Good call though; the trailer for it was definitely impressive at the time.

Around the Network
Weedlab said:

I'll list mine from least important to most important.

8 days - I would have liked to see Sony's take on this. It seemed interesting enough. 

The next Legacy of Kain game that was supposed to be a follow up to LOK: Defiance. I LOVE this series. Love lOve loVe lovE it! I REALLY wanted to see the series come to a conclusion after Raziel gave Kain his 'final gift' in Defiance. I was distraught when I realized it had been in development before it was cancelled. Ah well ... Vae Victis!

Interesting list.  I thought about putting 8 days myself, but we really didn't see/hear enough of the game for me to honor it.  Definitely would've been on here otherwise; what they did show looked really good.

Also, Legacy of Kain did end kind of abruptly in terms of releases.  Was the storyline never wrapped up?

Kresnik said:
Weedlab said:

I'll list mine from least important to most important.

8 days - I would have liked to see Sony's take on this. It seemed interesting enough. 

The next Legacy of Kain game that was supposed to be a follow up to LOK: Defiance. I LOVE this series. Love lOve loVe lovE it! I REALLY wanted to see the series come to a conclusion after Raziel gave Kain his 'final gift' in Defiance. I was distraught when I realized it had been in development before it was cancelled. Ah well ... Vae Victis!

Interesting list.  I thought about putting 8 days myself, but we really didn't see/hear enough of the game for me to honor it.  Definitely would've been on here otherwise; what they did show looked really good.

Also, Legacy of Kain did end kind of abruptly in terms of releases.  Was the storyline never wrapped up?

Agreed, and that's why I started my list with 8 days. I would have loved to see their idea realized. In the right hands I think a concept like that could do well, but (like you) since that was all we saw it didn't resonate as much as the other games on my list.

LOK ... that is what grinds my gears so much. That abrupt ending led me to believe the series did not meet its conclusion. The Elder god (or false god as Kain put it) seems alive - albeit suppressed by Kain (for the moment). Plus, we didn't get to see how Kain would restore balance with his new power from Raziel. It seems like the last game set the stage for him to get the third option from flipping a coin (landing on the edge). The next game was supposedly done for the PS2 - LOK: Dark Prophecy. I am assuming this game was supposed to fill the gaps in the story and finally bring that chapter of the LOK series to an end. But there were a number of complications that followed, such as Tony Jay's death (the voice of the Elder god and other characters) and the depature of the main writer of the series. I think all of that complicated matters even further. And now the IP is in the hands of Square Enix, and they are far from inclined to take risks at this point in time, so I doubt we will ever get a true sequel.

Below is a link with more screen shots and some details on LOK Dark Prophecy http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=82419

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

Starcraft Ghost. I had the game pre-ordered, and I was just crushed when it never came out. I was a big fan of Starcraft (still am) and everything I'd heard and seen looked awesome. If nothing else, the multiplayer looked like it could be a lot of fun. I'm glad that some of the story made it out into the series proper, but...alas, I'll always have the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b-DvNWc5bQ

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

The first person metroid style Mega Man game they were making, it looked so fun.

Around the Network

Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic 3

Cancelled by Lucas arts in 2007 in order to concentrate efforts in an MMO that failed.

never happened to me lol sucks for u guys

Weedlab said:

Below is a link with more screen shots and some details on LOK Dark Prophecy http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=82419

Hmm, didn't know about this game.  I'm not really into the LoK series myself but it looks pretty good!

For me, it was definitely The Grinder. I was disappointed that it never made it out. It looked like a really fun shooter. I really wanted to support High Voltage too.

Although they came out in other regions, I was also disappointed that Disaster: Day of Crisis and Zangeki no Reginleiv never made it to North America.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Legacy of Kain - also the first that came into my mind.

Ex Graphics Whore.