By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which cancelled games were you most looking forward to, and why?

Hey guys,

As per title, just wondering what titles that never saw the light of day captured your interest.

I got thinking about this topic when looking through my PS1 library.  I realised how many strategy/simulation games I owned on PS1 and how it got me into the genre; which in turn got me thinking about the game I was really looking forward to back in 2001 but never saw the light of day.  So to start off my list:

Black & White (PS1)

Before you say anything - yes, I know this game is out on PC - I own it + creature isle and I love it!  But back when the PS1 was in its twilight years, the game was being ported to PS1 and that was great news to me.  Especially since - at the time - I had only played Populous: The Beginning on consoles and this looked like the most spritually-in-line sequel we'd ever see.

I mean yes, the controls would probably have sucked and the content would've been vastly slimmed down, but having coped with the controls of many a game like Theme Hospital or Command & Conquer on the console; I was convinced B&W wouldn't have been a problem.

The internet tells me that it was in development for the Dreamcast as well but never saw the light of day due to production of the console being stopped, which is another mighty shame in my eyes.

Jet Moto (Jet Rider) 2124 (PS2)

Sequel to the oddly-popular-during-the-PS1-era Jet Moto/Jet Rider series, a game that was seemingly almost complete.  Although I was never as big on Jet Rider as I was on WipEout, it seems a shame that the series never got a chance to take the sixth-gen leap in the way that other series - like Twisted Metal or indeed WipEout - did.  

Grand Knight History (PSP)

Not "cancelled" in the sense of the other two games, as this is still readily available to buy in Japanese on UMD.  And these days, I believe there's a recently added patch to play the game in English, too.  But the game was scheduled for an official release by XSeed, which was abruptly cancelled upon the end of PSP's life in the west and amongst rife piracy on the console, which is a massive shame.  I will probably end up playing the english patch for this game, but I'd much rather have supported an official release for the title.

So, what games that were shown but never released (or even those titles that were released :P) were you most looking forward to before their untimely demise?

Around the Network

can i say agent? its rockstar, so i was certainly looking forward to it. anything rockstar does i pay great attention to it.

inb4 Mega Man Legends 3

That new FPS Megaman game they were making...Maverick Hunter X. Just watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLgSqIPL-0U

Today I probably would've thought it was a lame game after-all, but the one cancelled game that stands out, is actually 'Simsville'.

Yes, there's more I thought were too bad they were cancelled, but I remember being genuinely bummed when they cancelled this game even if it's a long time ago (2001, looked it up and was surprised). It was supposed to be a cross between SimCity, and The Sims. I think it was cancelled in favor of either SimCity 4 or The Sims 2.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

Today I probably would've thought it was a lame game after-all, but the one cancelled game that stands out, is actually 'Simsville'.

Yes, there's more I thought were too bad they were cancelled, but I remember being genuinely bummed when they cancelled this game even if it's a long time ago (2001, looked it up and was surprised). It was supposed to be a cross between SimCity, and The Sims. I think it was cancelled in favor of either SimCity 4 or The Sims 2.

Shamefully I can say that I had never heard of this game before now.  I just looked it up and indeed, it sounds like a very cool idea!  Thanks for posting; I find it really interesting reading about these sorts of things.  At least some of the ideas got picked up by Sims 2 & SimCity 4 like you say.

Full Throttle: Payback
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Throttle_(1995_video_game)#Canceled_sequels

This game could have been awesome.

Sdaness

Click HERE and be happy 

Super Mario 64 2 ):