By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One to offer free 'unlimited hard drive space' via the Cloud

It's no secret that the Xbox One has had a rough reveal. From the Digital Rights Management controversy (that later saw a reversal in policy) to utter miscommunication from Microsoft's internal parties at conveying the proper message of their new console, the Xbox One could not seem to catch a break.

The negativity saw some reversal yesterday, as Microsoft revealed their updated policy regarding self-publishing for independent developers on the Xbox One platform. This was followed up with the revelation that every store bought Xbox One console is indeed a possible development unit.

Some more positive news has come out of the first ever PAX Australia this past weekend. During it, some key features have been revealed regarding the Xbox One. Aside from the usual "3X's the computing power" offered by the Cloud service speech, the people at Microsoft have now stated that the cloud essentially gives you an "unlimited sized" hard drive, allowing players to save unlimited game data via the service.

Now, this comes as no surprise, as that feature is already incorporated into the Xbox 360 (limited to 512mb) and was spoken about at E3 as being unlimited for the Xbox One.

There were a few questions, though. Currently, you need to have an Xbox One Gold membership to utilize this service. Although you don't need a Gold account to download saved data onto your Xbox 360, in order to actually save to it you need to pay up.

According to Microsoft's public relation's, the Xbox One will offer this service for all Xbox Live members, negating the necessity of an Xbox Live Gold account to utilize the service as it stands currently.

Xbox Live offers Xbox One unlimited storage space in the cloud for all Xbox Live members to store numerous types of Xbox Live content, including your profile, games, Achievements and entertainment. This content is stored and saved in the cloud so you can automatically access it anywhere, anytime, no matter where you are.

Not a bad perk to have, as it eliminates some of the limitations of a physical hard drive (but arguably has some issues of its own).

http://www.examiner.com/article/xbox-one-to-offer-free-unlimited-hard-drive-space-via-the-cloud

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

"free" or do you get it by paying for gold?

areason said:

both would be awesome anyway, but this seems to be totally free.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

I wonder just how unlimited it will be exactly

And what kinds of things can we store in the cloud? I mean game saves are obviously no big deal, but I can I throw large DLC files in there? Whole games?

Sounds good to me since you can't really replace the HDD.

Around the Network

Theres bound to be a fair use policy of some sort, and as someone mentioned earlier, its not free

DirtyP2002 said:
areason said:

both would be awesome anyway, but this seems to be totally free.

it can't be, if your uploading something via the internet, you need gold for this

Angelus said:
I wonder just how unlimited it will be exactly

And what kinds of things can we store in the cloud? I mean game saves are obviously no big deal, but I can I throw large DLC files in there? Whole games?

Obviously you can't throw anything that requires fast HDD access, games and DLC for example. This example confirms saves, if I had to guess music and videos aren't an unrealistic idea either. And videos, as you surely know, are pretty big. If it's really unlimited, videos shouldn't be a problem, as should nothing else big.

The big issues that I'm seeing with Xbone and PS4 HDD are that all the games have to be installed to run... so 500GB is enough?

For me not... I have a PS3 with 500GB Hybrid SSD and I have to delete game data every time... and for a console that some game have mandatory install.

ethomaz said:
The big issues that I'm seeing with Xbone and PS4 HDD are that all the games have to be installed to run... so 500GB is enough?

For me not... I have a PS3 with 500GB Hybrid SSD and I have to delete game data every time... and for a console that some game have mandatory install.

I don't know if it's this way for the PS4 (although I'm sure it is) but with The One you will be able to plug in any size external harddrive and save games and files onto that. 

So I'm personally not worried at all about not having enough room for everything.