By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One to offer free 'unlimited hard drive space' via the Cloud

Yeah, this is bad. I'm thinking - this must be bad somehow. Isn't it? And as a secondary note... is there a thread without ethomaz?

Ex Graphics Whore.

Around the Network
Blood_Tears said:
@S.T.A.G.E.
The PS Plus option for cloud saves has a 1GB limit though. (currently anyways)

Yeah, and I am sure the saves will expand next gen as well as the cloud HDD.

TimCliveroller said:
Yeah, this is bad. I'm thinking - this must be bad somehow. Isn't it? And as a secondary note... is there a thread without ethomaz?

If it's Xbox One related, these are the unofficial (official) VGChartz rules:

1.  If it's a good feature, it's bad and you're an idiot if you think otherwise.

2.  If you still think it's a good feature despite the uninformed opinions of others, see rule #1.

3.  If you're attempting to bait someone into an argument about an Xbox One feature, and doing so with a negative comment, thread or article, that's not trolling.  It's a perfectly fair statement.

4.  If you report people for following rule #4, you're banned.

5.  If you are posting anything positive about the Xbox One, you are a Microsoft shill.

6.  If you are posting anything postive about the Xbox One you must have industry expertise or work at Microsoft and possess unequivical proof that what you are saying is true, otherwise you are a Microsoft shill.

7.  If you are posting anything negative, you can pull any old thought out of your ass and it's a valid, expert comment.

8.  If you disagree with any of these rules, you are a Microsoft shill.

Adinnieken said:
TimCliveroller said:

If it's Xbox One related, these are the unofficial (official) VGChartz rules:

1.  If it's a good feature, it's bad and you're an idiot if you think otherwise.

2.  If you still think it's a good feature despite the uninformed opinions of others, see rule #1.

3.  If you're attempting to bait someone into an argument about an Xbox One feature, and doing so with a negative comment, thread or article, that's not trolling.  It's a perfectly fair statement.

4.  If you report people for following rule #4, you're banned.

5.  If you are posting anything positive about the Xbox One, you are a Microsoft shill.

6.  If you are posting anything postive about the Xbox One you must have industry expertise or work at Microsoft and possess unequivical proof that what you are saying is true, otherwise you are a Microsoft shill.

7.  If you are posting anything negative, you can pull any old thought out of your ass and it's a valid, expert comment.

8.  If you disagree with any of these rules, you are a Microsoft shill.

Adinnieken said:

Really?  Are you taking the piss?

If you've previously downloaded and installed the game, and the Xbox LIVE servers are offline, yes you can still play your games.  This is no different than the Xbox 360.  If you're talking your profile and game saves, then those exist both locally and remotely.  So if Xbox LIVE isn't available, then your local profile is what would be used. 

Finally, if you have no Internet access on the console you're using, you can put your profile and game saves on a thumb drive or on an external HDD. 

No, I'm saying that if you save your game data in the cloud and the servers are offline, won't you not be able to access your saved game? 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

"Xbox Live content, including your profile, games, Achievements and entertainment."

Wouldn't it be faster to just delete the games or movies and just redownload them when you want to play or watch them again? You can't access them from the cloud right? You still have to download the content back from the cloud in order to use it. And that is without mentioning having to upload the content to the cloud first. As for game saves and things like that then this looks quite useful, because when you delete a game save it is gone forever.

MoHasanie said:
Adinnieken said:

Really?  Are you taking the piss?

If you've previously downloaded and installed the game, and the Xbox LIVE servers are offline, yes you can still play your games.  This is no different than the Xbox 360.  If you're talking your profile and game saves, then those exist both locally and remotely.  So if Xbox LIVE isn't available, then your local profile is what would be used. 

Finally, if you have no Internet access on the console you're using, you can put your profile and game saves on a thumb drive or on an external HDD. 

No, I'm saying that if you save your game data in the cloud and the servers are offline, won't you not be able to access your saved game? 

Oh.  Fair question.  No.

I'm pretty sure I covered this before, but Xbox One saves both a local profile and a remote profile to the "Cloud".

Anything you do will be accessible on your console but if you go to someone else's and they don't have Internet access, you won't have access to it unless you've got your profile saved to a thumb drive.  Pretty much the same way it is today on the Xbox 360.

Wasn't a certain website giving cloud storage for free not too long ago?

50 gigs.
http://slickdeals.net/f/6154856-50gb-of-ATT-Locker-Cloud-Storage-Free

Going to be interesting to see MS offering 1+ Terrabyte?

It's just that simple.

DirtyP2002 said:
Angelus said:
I wonder just how unlimited it will be exactly

And what kinds of things can we store in the cloud? I mean game saves are obviously no big deal, but I can I throw large DLC files in there? Whole games?

Xbox Live offers Xbox One unlimited storage space in the cloud for all Xbox Live members to store numerous types of Xbox Live content, including your profile, games, Achievements and entertainment. This content is stored and saved in the cloud so you can automatically access it anywhere, anytime, no matter where you are.

that is MS word. So yeah, you can store whole games in the cloud. I don't know if this is just for XBLA games though.

But that's a ruse, because all games are already there in XBL. It's kinda silly to think that anyone is actually going to upload a game from their Xb one HDD to the cloud, when the game already exists in XBL (in effect in the cloud). On the game side of things it will be no different to now, your digital purchases will be permanently recorded "in the cloud" and you can download those purchases any time, delete them from your HDD and re-download some time later. Your profile is already in the cloud with X360, as are your achievements.

The one new thing in that highlighted list is entertainment that you haven't purchased through XBL. Video / music that you've sourced from elsewhere (e.g. gameplay vids) and put on your HDD being uploaded to the cloud is a new thing which is very handy for when you go to use someone else's Xb one. Of course given this is not a feature which requires any particular processing grunt from Xb one the feature should be made available to all 360 owners too. Is it?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Ah I see now.
Unlimited saves and what not. I hardly have 512mb full of my cloud saves on the 360, so a few gigs will probably be plenty regardless.

Also pretty big news: According to Microsoft's public relation's, the Xbox One will offer this service for all Xbox Live members, negating the necessity of an Xbox Live Gold account to utilize the service as it stands currently.

No pay wall needed for unlimited cloud storage = win

It's just that simple.