By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - will we ever be able to resell digital content?

I didnt use to care about digital but im slowly warming up to it due to PS+. The only thing stopping me from going full digital is the lack of being able to resell the games. I dont like to buy used games but I usually trade in my old games to help pay for new ones. If you could something like that digitally I think it would benefit both the consumer and developers.

Lets say u buy a game off of PSN for $40-60 and they give u the option to trade it back for $10-20 to spend on PSN, this would cause people to spend less money but at the same time kill off the used games market and ensure that people continue buying digitally. Does this sound plausibel to you?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Not for now. They are already happy with the way things are right now to accept changing them to allow us to make us of the second market with the digital games. Just look at some declarations form publishers and developers praising MSoft past policies and attacking the used games market.

But Steam/Valve will now have to go to court in Germany for not allowing their users to sell their digital games. If the consumer rights agency from Germany wins, things may change.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

We never will. Because even restrictions on selling physical copies were made, and you're thinking we can manage to sell digital copies? Trading them for some time is a better option if you ask me.

Why would you be allowed to? You buy a license for a piece of software to enjoy, if someone else want to enjoy it they should buy it for themselves aswell.

I think the groundwork is already in place. Steam allows for the widespread selling of virtual goods, including goods that people "paid" for by purchasing games. It may just end up not going anywhere, but I could easily see Steam's current Virtual Market system being applied to at least some games in the future. And if that happens, expect at least one of the 9th generation of consoles to include it.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network

No, because there would be no reason to buy "new" games.

It would only kill the economy.

RenCutypoison said:
No, because there would be no reason to buy "new" games.

It would only kill the economy.

Im not saying u could go sell Iit anywhere. If u buy a game on PSN and beat it then u can give it back and get a small percentage back as credit for ur next purchase. It would ensure people continue buying digital which would make the company more money.

Hoe would it kill the economy? 

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

AnthonyW86 said:
Why would you be allowed to? You buy a license for a piece of software to enjoy, if someone else want to enjoy it they should buy it for themselves aswell.

Ur missing the point, im not saying u can go and sell it to ur buddy or gamestop, rather u could trade it back to PSN, Eshop, etc and get credit for ur next game. Also the game wouldnt then be resold as used since idk if that would even be possible. Basically im juat saying it would help consumers and would also give them oncentive to go full digital which is what all the developers want.

Will never happen. I think a good idea though would be if there were a points / rewards system in place for buying digital content, whereas for every digital dollar you spend you get x amount of points back that can be used towards future game purchases.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Considering MS originally had a system for selling digital games in place for the X1 before the policy change.....ya, clearly it's doable, and I reckon it's not too far off that it'll become a reality