By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft sets up three 4K PC monitors for 1,492,992,000 pixels of gaming

Viper1 said:
nnodley said:
Pemalite said:

PSU wattage *is* important, but the brand/quality is just as important too.
For example a Corsair HX/AX can easily output loads greater than they are advertised as. (I.E. 850w outputting 900w etc'.)
Where as something like a 1,000w Shaw PSU will literally catch on fire if you even try half of it's rated load.

I ran my system on a Corsair HX 850 for months with my current set-up, granted I did some undervolting to lower power consumption.

Plus, if you want to save energy, getting a PSU that's power efficient at your systems idle/load can be important to.

Alright thanks!  I'll probably stick with Corsair like I have and find one that's good and efficient. 

Just be careful when buying a PSU.  While most Corsair's are great, Corsair doesn't actually make them themselves.   An OEM does.  Many models are made by SeaSonic.   THIS is who you want your PSU to come from.  I prefer SeaSonic's actual PSU's over those they OEM for others but they are all still top quality.

And if they really powered those cards on a 750 watt PSU (regardless of brand), someone should be getting fired right now.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Around the Network
nnodley said:
Viper1 said:
nnodley said:
Pemalite said:

PSU wattage *is* important, but the brand/quality is just as important too.
For example a Corsair HX/AX can easily output loads greater than they are advertised as. (I.E. 850w outputting 900w etc'.)
Where as something like a 1,000w Shaw PSU will literally catch on fire if you even try half of it's rated load.

I ran my system on a Corsair HX 850 for months with my current set-up, granted I did some undervolting to lower power consumption.

Plus, if you want to save energy, getting a PSU that's power efficient at your systems idle/load can be important to.

Alright thanks!  I'll probably stick with Corsair like I have and find one that's good and efficient. 

Just be careful when buying a PSU.  While most Corsair's are great, Corsair doesn't actually make them themselves.   An OEM does.  Many models are made by SeaSonic.   THIS is who you want your PSU to come from.  I prefer SeaSonic's actual PSU's over those they OEM for others but they are all still top quality.

And if they really powered those cards on a 750 watt PSU (regardless of brand), someone should be getting fired right now.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

To add a different perspective here is a story...

I ran GTX 580 SLI, true watercooling, I7 950...everything overcloicked using a 1000 Watt Topower PSU (no name). It ran kickass for me the entire time I had it and is probably still running (I sold it).

Afterwards I ran GTX 670 SLI and a 3570k using an Antec High Current 900W PSU (brand name) which died.

My conclusion: do research, read reviews and buy the best reviewed prodct for best price.

"...that's a total display resolution of 11520x2160 with a whopping 1,492,992,000 pixels"
The math is NOT strong with you..

disolitude said:

To add a different perspective here is a story...

I ran GTX 580 SLI, true watercooling, I7 950...everything overcloicked using a 1000 Watt Topower PSU (no name). It ran kickass for me the entire time I had it and is probably still running (I sold it).

Afterwards I ran GTX 670 SLI and a 3570k using an Antec High Current 900W PSU (brand name) which died.

My conclusion: do research, read reviews and buy the best reviewed prodct for best price.

Thanks!  I won't be doing this upgrade for at least 4 months so I'll plenty of time to research and find the best one for a good price.

Pemalite said:
think-man said:
I've always wanted a set up like that! not so much the 4k but the 3 monitors lol

Do it. Gaming immersion with Eyefinity/Surround Vision can't be matched. (Except by real life!)

When you first set a triple-monitor display up, it does taking some getting used to because of the massive real-estate area, but now after a couple of years, I actually find it frustrating to use a PC with only a single screen now.

However, the big caveat is the sheer amount of hardware you need to push framerates at such a resolution, Dirt is fine it's a fairly low-demanding game as are most console ports.
But games that push the hardware like Battlefield, Crysis, Metro require a beefy system even at 1080P, so you will find you need to upgrade more often or tone down the settings.

I bought three monitors and connected them to my PC four months ago and never used them for gaming. How can I use the three of them to play games like Counter-Strike and Team Fortress?

Around the Network

I am happy with my 1280x1024 monitor =/

I LOVE GIGGS said:
Pemalite said:
think-man said:
I've always wanted a set up like that! not so much the 4k but the 3 monitors lol

Do it. Gaming immersion with Eyefinity/Surround Vision can't be matched. (Except by real life!)

When you first set a triple-monitor display up, it does taking some getting used to because of the massive real-estate area, but now after a couple of years, I actually find it frustrating to use a PC with only a single screen now.

However, the big caveat is the sheer amount of hardware you need to push framerates at such a resolution, Dirt is fine it's a fairly low-demanding game as are most console ports.
But games that push the hardware like Battlefield, Crysis, Metro require a beefy system even at 1080P, so you will find you need to upgrade more often or tone down the settings.

I bought three monitors and connected them to my PC four months ago and never used them for gaming. How can I use the three of them to play games like Counter-Strike and Team Fortress?

First you have to go to settings and set up "eyefinity" for AMD cards and "Nvidia surround" for Nvidia.

Once your 3 displays are recognized as a single display running at  5XXX x 1080p resolution (1080pX3 + bezel correction), you will have those resolutions available in most games under display options.

It looks something like this...

I personally find multi-displays a must for productivity...but for gaming its very cool as well. My current setup below :)

disolitude said:
I LOVE GIGGS said:
Pemalite said:
think-man said:

First you have to go to settings and set up "eyefinity" for AMD cards and "Nvidia surround" for Nvidia.

Once your 3 displays are recognized as a single display running at  5XXX x 1080p resolution (1080pX3 + bezel correction), you will have those resolutions available in most games under display options.

It looks something like this...

I personally find multi-displays a must for productivity...but for gaming its very cool as well. My current setup below :)

Thank you. I try it now. 

disolitude said:
I LOVE GIGGS said:
Pemalite said:
think-man said:

It worked. I can play on three screens now. But I want to use them as one screen only when I play the games. Now, the computer act as I only have one screen.

Can I work on my computer as before but still can play on the three screens?

I hope you understood what I said. 

I LOVE GIGGS said:
disolitude said:
I LOVE GIGGS said:
Pemalite said:
think-man said:

It worked. I can play on three screens now. But I want to use them as one screen only when I play the games. Now, the computer act as I only have one screen.

Can I work on my computer as before but still can play on the three screens?

I hope you understood what I said. 

No unfortunately... I know it sucks.

Best you can do is enable/disable eyefinity/surround as you want to game or work. This is why a 4th screen comes in handy. Most Nvidia current gen cards suport 3 + 1 when it comes to monitors, as do AMD ones.