By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 4 gives up to 5.5GB of RAM to game developers

iceboy151 said:
So this is the BIG news? I thought it was going to be much worse.

Like what?

Around the Network

So much nonsense being written here and in other forums. The situation is like this:
On a PS4 developer unit, you have 8G of ram divided into (numbers heavily rounded):
1G os
1.5G debug software
1G debug scratchpad
4.5G game (or 5.5G if using the debug scratchpad)
On a PS4 end user unit, you have:
1G os
5.5G game
1.5G unclear space (now os scratchpad space?) as there very likely isn't any debug software loaded
So on a PS4 end user unit, the ram limit is >= 5.5G for the game

pezus said:
brendude13 said:
Soleron said:
To anyone thinking 3.5GB guaranteed is a lot, remember a gaming PC has 4GB of /system/ RAM and likely 2-4GB of graphics RAM. This is 3.5/4.5 for both system and graphics.

Since when does Windows use 4GB of system RAM and 2-4GB of VRAM?

My PC is currently only using 2gb of RAM, and Windows 7 is a pig of an OS in comparison to what SHOULD be on the PS4 and even the Xbox One.

What's so different about the PS4's OS compared to the PS3's OS that RAM usage needs to be increased from 50mb to 3500mb?

I'm calling bullshit. There is just no way the OS is using that much. Unless they haven't showed us something unexpected.

Nope, I think they're were just lying, AS USUAL. And typically tellying the fanboys what they what to hear - 7GB RAM for games lol,...what a load of BS. And I would bet that this is only the begining of such annouments to leak out about the PS4.

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

teigaga said:
Seriously, in what world is it normal for an OS to use nearly 4GB? Is it the live video capture or...?

I already thought that this feature that lets you share streams even from some time ago of your gameplay must be a hard hit on memory, but I thought probably Sony reserved enough harddisk to save it there. Seems it is more used for memory. Maybe the sharing-feature is deactivated or restricted if the game uses the extra gig.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

riderz13371 said:
4.5 GB GDDR5 of ram for games? Honestly even this is too much considering it's GDDR5 and not DDR3. I don't think devs (specifically multi platform devs) would have taken advantage of the so called "7 GB ram for games" so it would have just been a waste. Better to put some more on the OS to make it super quick. 3.5 GB of GDDR5 for the OS this thing is gonna be lightning speed lol!

What? More ram is always way more important than speed. Always. And os-speed in correlation with the speed of ram? Wow, there is lack of knowledge. No offense but really this only shows more believe than knowledge. I know you won't listen to me because you think I am biased but believe me in technical terms I am definitely not.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
riderz13371 said:
4.5 GB GDDR5 of ram for games? Honestly even this is too much considering it's GDDR5 and not DDR3. I don't think devs (specifically multi platform devs) would have taken advantage of the so called "7 GB ram for games" so it would have just been a waste. Better to put some more on the OS to make it super quick. 3.5 GB of GDDR5 for the OS this thing is gonna be lightning speed lol!

What? More ram is always way more important than speed. Always. And os-speed in correlation with the speed of ram? Wow, there is lack of knowledge. No offense but really this only shows more believe than knowledge. I know you won't listen to me because you think I am biased but believe me in technical terms I am definitely not.

Well I think we can all agree with

GDDR5> DDR3

End of discussion =)

the-pi-guy said:
BasilZero said:
walsufnir said:

Please do us a favor and explain to him what ram is.

This was already explained.  Still not sure how they managed to fit 8 of these in that tiny ps4.

Simple answer: they don't.

gooch_destroyer said:
brendude13 said:
How the hell does it take up so much?

mulit-tasking?

There will be no multi-tasking between games. Multi-tasking with OS was even available in the Wii/PS3-gen. So it means OS has features, that use the RAM. The video-sharing-feature might be a good explanation.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

riderz13371 said:
walsufnir said:
riderz13371 said:

Well I think we can all agree with

GDDR5> DDR3

End of discussion =)

In certain cases, I agree.

walsufnir said:
iceboy151 said:
So this is the BIG news? I thought it was going to be much worse.

Like what?

Something that would hurt Sony hard. Where this would get people who got a PS4 to switch. But this isn't something that would persuade someone to switch.