By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Next Million seller for Wii(oh no)

jlrx said:
I like to think of this game selling 1 million like this - If a game that is so obviously shovelware can sell 1 million units and make the developer cash, a game that is higher quality can sell 2+ million units.

Why mess with a proven formula?

Shovelware makes million and costed nothing to make. Repeat process. Earn another million. Make investors happy.

Around the Network

I looks like we're going back to the NES/Atari days. The casuals back in huge numbers and parents and kids are picking out games.

How did you pick out games when you were a kid? I based my entire purchase on the box art and hearsay. "Look at the guy with the sword!" "this one has Indiana Jones on it!" "That game has more game genie codes than any other game?"

I have an N-Gage... and still play it.

lolz....is that game good??

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

zerosaurus said:
jlrx said:
I like to think of this game selling 1 million like this - If a game that is so obviously shovelware can sell 1 million units and make the developer cash, a game that is higher quality can sell 2+ million units.

Why mess with a proven formula?

Shovelware makes million and costed nothing to make. Repeat process. Earn another million. Make investors happy.

The only problem with that is once people start getting tired of the shovelware, sales will drop. Also, if another computer sees that everyone is just releasing really cheap games, they might decide to focus on a really great experience, but still has the same game mechanics, and they will still everyone else's sales, and probably sell 5+ million.

I blame Nintendo. They sold people on Wii Sports, creating a new genre of games (motion-based simulation) but then didn't support that base (probably not realizing how fast it'd grow). The only games that Nintendo has made that appeals to these people is MP8 and to a lessor extent WW. And Wii Play...

That leaves a huge gap that sub-par quickly made games can fill - and ta-da Carnival Games sells a million. I suspect EA Playground would have too if they'd made it more obvious what it was. I mean, Carnival Games is exactly that, no brainer, what's Playground?? You have to pick it up and figure it out = lost sales.

I'd bet Winter Sports is selling a lot better than we know, but because noone sees Walmart's sales (the only place I've seen with it) it's not showing on VGC or NPD.

Around the Network

wow i didnt know it sold that much

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Good for Wii, another million seller and maybe 2 million seller.

I see this as a good thing as it shows that 3rd parties are having success in the casual front and not just Nintendo. Opens that market up to them now.

2 million is very possable, even more so if it got a Japanese release considering Namco Festival sold over 100k there.

Wii - 3348 5602 9364 2110

Mario Kart - 0474 1321 9262

--OkeyDokey-- said:
idiots buy crap, what else is new?

Idiots also fail to accept that their gaming tastes aren't universal and demean their opposites, what else is new?

The rEVOLution is not being televised