By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Would You Rather Talk To Your TV Or Press A Button?

Which do you prefer?

Press a button 283 86.54%

Say a phrase 44 13.46%

Total:327

I love how the first pages are full of random posts by the usual suspects who never used Kinect voice control before. They are making scenarios / problems up, even though those are a non issue with the current Kinect already.

OT: I use both. I use my voice to go to Xbox Video, select the movie with the controller, pause / play the movie with my voice. It is a good thing to have options.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

After all, it's nice to have the option. I personally can't use voice commands. I mainly play when my baby son is sleeping and I want to be as quiet as possible, so shouting at the TV is not an option. I also play with headphones (Sony MDR-1RNC - best headphones ever, I'm not kidding). But as long as the voice commands are optional, I don't see anything wrong with it. That way, everybody can just choose what they prefer.

What I really hate is if I'm forced to use voice commands. I hate it on the telephone when speaking to a machine at the Telekom Cutomer Service. I hate it in Lost in Blue, when I'm supposed to imitate some animal. I just don't want to do it. So give me the option to ignore it and everything's just fine.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Button, we have voice commands when you ring up your telephone company and you just sound like a dick talking to nobody telling it what to do. I end up yelling down the phone line until I get put to an operator lol.

endimion said:
The Fury said:
How did the voice commands on phones work out?

great I use them everyday and they are picking up fast in every major market from the last study I saw.....

What markets? Do you expect to see them in general household applicances like washing machines or something? God to think of the day when we are too lazy to press the button on a toaster.

Mr Puggsly said:
The Fury said:

Well... voice commands are offered in most phones. So I'd say it has worked out pretty well.

In is different to being used, no one I know uses voice commands on their phone other than the occasional laugh with Siri. Pressing a button, even a touch screen one is still prefered.

g911turbo said:
The Fury said:

Not the best analogy as phones always had microphones, and the addition of voice commands were SW.

Actually, I use Google Now all the time.  "Directions to xyz" or voice to text.  Very convenient when you are driving on a long stretch of highway.  Not safe to text, much easier to open Google Now using SwiftKey and dictate to it.  Its definitely useful at times.  Not the be all end all, but nice to have in addition to touchscreen/buttons.

I can imagine consoles going the same route.  New features are always good.  Granted you're paying for Kinect HARDWARE, like it or not.

Kinect has a microphone. 360 gave everyone a mic with their console, that's a microphone. MS and companies have had voice recognition for years, well before Siri, well before Kinect.

But at least you used a good example of when voice commands are useful, that is when your hands are busy. You are driving so you use voice commands for sat nav or just general phone use. Outside of your car, do you use them much?

My point of that question was that while voice commands can be good, it's a niche market. They exist on phones but are not used much. The best examples really though is those who use Samsung Smart TV, do they use the voice command, hand waving features or do they use a remote?

Hmm, pie.

I could be wrong, but the voice recognition probably goes a lot further than pressing the a-button.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Darth Tigris said:
What a unnecessarily divisive thread.

There is no choice. Buttons AND voice is the only correct answer. Voice when you know exactly what you want to do without having to drudge through menus to get there and buttons when appropriate as well.

If anything, this seems more like a social experiment. All of the PS 'fans' choose button and all of the Xbox 'fans' choose voice, right? That's what was expected, right? PS 'fans' outnumber Xbox 'fans' on this site, so the poll results (which I don't know because I wanted to choose option C) likely favor button, as expected, right?

*sigh*

This. I like the black and white arguments, especially the 'who want's to shout "xbox, play dirty teeny orgy whores 27" at 2AM when my mum is sleeping??!!'

The correct answer would be 'I prefer a combination of both, as they both have their own advantages' but that would require common sense which on these forums seems to be in very short supply sometimes.

I like the voice commands. Once I start watching netflix and my controller turns off, I like to be able to say "Xbox Pause" and it instantly pauses instead of turning the controller on and pausing it.

People need to stop this whole lazy argument. Pushing a button doesn't make you an active person.

I like both, they are not mutually exclusive. voice works better when I don't have the controller in hand, like when I am watching a movie or TV or searching or I happen to be up off the lounge doing something or want to turn on or off the console. buttons I generally like better while gaming. The ideal situation is not one or the other but both.

People just succumb to hype. Voice control is just a gimmick put in because they can. There's plenty of features on systems that are there that lets face it serve no real purpose than just "we can" for the sake of it. Kinect voice is precisely this a gimmick. If you succumb to this hype over something so gimmicky then you deserve to have an over rated xbone as it caters for the mortals with an unfunctioning brain cell that cannot see the bigger picture because of the hype

User was banned for this post.

yo_john117

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

Deedee from Dexters Laboratories showed me that pressing a button can lead to awesome surprises. :p