By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Would You Rather Talk To Your TV Or Press A Button?

Which do you prefer?

Press a button 283 86.54%

Say a phrase 44 13.46%

Total:327

If I want to look for a show or film I would like speaking.

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:

Voice... you people can all say button.. but we all know how it goes in real life

Hey, just cause that guy is dumb enough not to take the remote with him, doesnt mean everyone is.

#First world problems

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

I personally prefer voice over button. I misplace my TV remote easily. But paying $500 for voice control, I would rather stick with button

Voice all the way

Around the Network

Voice navigating > button navigating

The ability to instantly swap based on voice commands will be great.

Raider84 said:
Buttons 100% of the time... This won't change for me, (or most people) anytime soon. For so many of the reasons a lot of you have already mentioned. I have Siri on my iPhone and RARELY use it... It works perfectly fine... Yet I still RARELY (if ever) use it. My hands are frequently occupied, you would think Siri would be the ultimate... but its not... You think I want voice commands on my home console?? Another reason mentioned, that has merit, it is simply rude to others... If it's 11 PM at night, I don't want to be talking loudly to my TV simply to communicate with a device that more than likely won't accurately interrupt what I'm trying to say, thus requiring me to repeat it multiple times. (much like Siri). To the person that says why would you rather walk than be teleported??? Um... Convenience does not always mean better (as someone else already said). I'd personally rather walk the few blocks.. Fresh air, stretch my legs, see the sights, see people, exercise, and enjoy the outdoors. The good news is... Voice controls will NEVER be fully adapted by the masses. It will find a very small niche market, no matter how much money M$ throws at this. The general feedback is very negative in regards to Kinect and Voice Controls. Just this survey alone is a small sample size of the feelings of almost EVERY poll taken of the general public's view on the same topic.

kinect doesn't need you to scream at it, and is right almost all of the time. it works great. kinect 2.0 will be even better. Kinect has better mics, and is designed to cancel out the sound coming from it.  It sounds like you just haven't experienced good voice controls. try it out.

KingdomHeartsFan said:

So its pretty obvious at this point Microsoft really wants you to talk to your TV.  As weird as this sounds its true, they have shown the voice recognition feature of the kinect as one of its biggest selling features.  I think that feature is the most prevalent feature of the kinect actually used in games.  On top of that they are not including a mic with the X1 and instead want you to talk through your kinect.  Personally I like my privacy, I don't want my family hearing my conversation because I have to talk louder through the kinect.  I already know people are gonna say I won't have to, think about it, if I'm sitting on my couch and my kinect and all the way across the room it will not be able to pick up my voice if I talk in a regular tone and especially with the sounds from the TV droning out my voice.  I think it is easier to simply press a button than say a phrase for my xbox to do an action.  What would you guys rather do?

It is rather obvious that out of habit most people will hit a button.  When introducing or putting a new feature out there in a mass market approach, the intent is to change habits over time.  If i had an XBone, i might use the feature initially a few times as a gimmick.  But as far as training my brain to use it all the time, not as easy.  The XBone is the real first generation of hands free controls that will do what is intended.  The worries about privacy are a continuing joke and only get funnier when people try to actually articulate their worries in their posts.  As far as the "yelling at the tv" part of it, that is also funny.  Why do you have to yell at your tv?  The design is to not have to yell to get it to work.  If it fails in that aspect, just use the remote that your have trained yourself to use.  The Kinect isn't really designed to replace your remote or cable box, it is there to augment the experience if you want it.  I've got heated/cooled seats in my car, but rarely use either when the scenario is there to do so.  Why not? Because i haven't trained myself to use them.  I am not forced to use them, but it is nice when i want to.  Now, where is that damn remote?  I am missing my favorite show!

To turn the Xbox on while I get the remote control or get what game I want to play, etc. Everything else? No.

Well buttons are still fine, but we can't expect to use remotes for the rest of the evolution of the TV as a technology. I wouldn't expect us to just "stand still".

Given certain circumstances, id say its very ultra modern to be able to just command your TV to change the channel.

And you should know that X1 kinect can pick up your voice among other voices in the room, even if your voice is lower then theirs.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.