By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Would You Rather Talk To Your TV Or Press A Button?

Which do you prefer?

Press a button 283 86.54%

Say a phrase 44 13.46%

Total:327

especially since his scenario is not even gonna work with Kinect 2... and like I said... I'm am elite troll hunter in my household... the trolls all know it.... so they don't even troll anymore..... why do you think I come here ??? I need my share of trolls to hunt :D

Around the Network

interesting to see this thread, i was watching tv a couple hours ago and i saw an ad for a new xfinity box.. With voice commands. something called the X1. http://www.comcast.com/x1 it apparently uses an app on your phone.

I really dont get what the big deal with voice commands is, the remote is so simple, and quiet. your not talking to your tv while trying to watch a show. i can see people frustrated and keep having to go back 10-15 seconds because they talked over someones dialogue

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

if you are talking to change a channel you are not listening to the show obviously.... but anyway, if people decided to not see the advantage and just use the archaic way so be it.... I won't get stuck in your pack....

Buttons 100% of the time... This won't change for me, (or most people) anytime soon. For so many of the reasons a lot of you have already mentioned. I have Siri on my iPhone and RARELY use it... It works perfectly fine... Yet I still RARELY (if ever) use it. My hands are frequently occupied, you would think Siri would be the ultimate... but its not... You think I want voice commands on my home console?? Another reason mentioned, that has merit, it is simply rude to others... If it's 11 PM at night, I don't want to be talking loudly to my TV simply to communicate with a device that more than likely won't accurately interrupt what I'm trying to say, thus requiring me to repeat it multiple times. (much like Siri). To the person that says why would you rather walk than be teleported??? Um... Convenience does not always mean better (as someone else already said). I'd personally rather walk the few blocks.. Fresh air, stretch my legs, see the sights, see people, exercise, and enjoy the outdoors. The good news is... Voice controls will NEVER be fully adapted by the masses. It will find a very small niche market, no matter how much money M$ throws at this. The general feedback is very negative in regards to Kinect and Voice Controls. Just this survey alone is a small sample size of the feelings of almost EVERY poll taken of the general public's view on the same topic.

Button for ease and precision.

Around the Network
Raider84 said:
Buttons 100% of the time... This won't change for me, (or most people) anytime soon. For so many of the reasons a lot of you have already mentioned. I have Siri on my iPhone and RARELY use it... It works perfectly fine... Yet I still RARELY (if ever) use it. My hands are frequently occupied, you would think Siri would be the ultimate... but its not... You think I want voice commands on my home console?? Another reason mentioned, that has merit, it is simply rude to others... If it's 11 PM at night, I don't want to be talking loudly to my TV simply to communicate with a device that more than likely won't accurately interrupt what I'm trying to say, thus requiring me to repeat it multiple times. (much like Siri). To the person that says why would you rather walk than be teleported??? Um... Convenience does not always mean better (as someone else already said). I'd personally rather walk the few blocks.. Fresh air, stretch my legs, see the sights, see people, exercise, and enjoy the outdoors. The good news is... Voice controls will NEVER be fully adapted by the masses. It will find a very small niche market, no matter how much money M$ throws at this. The general feedback is very negative in regards to Kinect and Voice Controls. Just this survey alone is a small sample size of the feelings of almost EVERY poll taken of the general public's view on the same topic.

I think this is a good assesment, but I do feel that there would be instances that voice command would be the optimal choice (fewer than buttons though, or using a smart device though)

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

papamudd said:
Raider84 said:

I think this is a good assesment, but I do feel that there would be instances that voice command would be the optimal choice (fewer than buttons though, or using a smart device though)

I fully agree... I always kind of liked the idea of both... But buttons being the main form of control... I kind of like the idea currently on Kinect being able to yell out "reload" or "health pack" (or w/e aplicable voice command) that along side a normal control setup I think is the best route... I'm not against voice controls, the idea kind of intrigues me.. probably why I was kinda excited to get my 4s and use Siri... But I realized as cool as the tech is, and it can be fun and useful.. But that wears off... and now I almost exclusively use only the touchpad and find myself kinda annoyed when I accidently bring up Siri.. It's like, SHUSH!!! lol Idk... I know everyone has different feelings and different preferences.. so to each their own.

Playstation has what we in the future call "buttons".

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

smroadkill15 said:
The problem with the first Kinect was that you had to be able to see the words before you could say it (except with the Bing Search engine). On the X1 for example, you can say, "game demos" and it will bring you right to it. That is much faster than having to scroll over toward games, select game marketplace, and then scroll to game demos. Being able to say say a word without it actually being on screen is very convenient, and faster than button presses.

I believe this is where MS is trying to get to.  When people think about hitting a button to do something it depends on the action.  If I can say.  Xbox Doctor Who episode 3 season 7.  That would be way faster than me going to Amazon, finding Doctor Who, chosing the season, then selecting the episode.

Even something as simple as saying Xbox Play Halo 4 and if you had the game in the drive or downloaded to your console, it just plays.  If the system is sleeping then its even faster.

For me, people are looking at this a little to simplistic.  If voice can make a bunch of button press and menu navigation turn into a few words, then I am all for voice.  If Voice advance like everthing else then actually giving squad mates in games like Mass Effect will be so much better than pausing, selecting ability, Aim at target, press button to have squal mate use ability on target.

TheSting said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
endimion said:
lol so people actually like the less convenient way... I bet you people probably would have been the same guys saying, DVD is a gimmick you prefer VHS, or GUI is a gimmick you prefer command lines, etc etc.... preferring a button than a handsfree feature makes absolutely no sense, it's like saying I would rather walk 3 miles than be teleported to that 3 miles away destination.... you guys make no sense at all

I'm guessing you didn't even read the OP.  Also on top of those points imagine your playing a game and someone walks in and says "Turn the xbox off."  All the xbox will hear is xbox off and shut off.  Also comparing VHS and DVD to pushing a button and saying a phrase makes no sense and holds no merit.  

The made up scenarios lol. Just lol

What would you do if a person tripped over your power cord or intentionally cut your box off? Lol dude

Or what would you do if a person came into your room and slap the joystick out of your hand.  It would be the same thing.  On anothe hand people do not know how Kinect would even work in those situations.  It probably would do nothing because the person playing the game is the one logged into the system so it will only follow his voice sense the sensor can tell where the sound is coming from.