By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which games were the greatest graphical achievements relative to the hardware they were running on?

Yes, another graphical debate thread :P

I've seen many of these around in the past, often discussion what the best looking games of each generation were (Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3 on GC for the seventh gen if you ask Lilbroex, I believe; a lot of people seem to be saying The Last of Us for the current gen).

But I'm interested to hear which game you think pushed the hardware it was running on the most.  Invariably this means I'm asking for the best looking game on each system, but which title do you think got the absolute most out of the console it was designed for?

It doesn't have to be in terms of graphics either, although I thought that was the easiest thing to discuss.  If there was a game which you think achieved a particular sense of scale which was far beyond anything else running on the console at the time, I'd be interested in hearing about that too!

Normally I'd pick a game to add to the OP to open up discussion, but I'm actually at a loss.  I don't really know what titles push hardware, because most games look more than playable enough to me.

Around the Network

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 for sure.

Theres so many to be honest. My top 5 would be

The Last of Us
Uncharted 3
GoW Ascension
Halo 4
GT 5 (possibly GT6 will replace this)

SNES-Donkey Kong Country or Star Fox

PS1-Metal Gear Solid

N64-Perfect Dark

Xbox-Doom 3

GC-Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime

Wii-Super Mario Galaxy

360-Halo 4

PS3-Uncharted 3

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I found Treasure to be godly during their SEGA Genesis run. Their games looked, sounded and played amazingly. Alien Soldier impressed me so much.

Around the Network

Super Mario Galaxy 2 would be the easiest pick for the Wii. Not only for graphics, but also for the fact that the game has colorful environments, great atmosphere, and some creative aspects.

I would also say Pikmin 2 is one of the best looking GameCube games, along with many others. (There were a ton of great looking GameCube games... so it's hard to chose.)

Super Mario 3D Land is one of the most polished looking 3DS games, in my opinion, too.

Also SEGA many times.

Outrun was a breathrough at it's time so was Virtual Figher 2. That was the birth of 3D fighting games.

Xxain said:
I found Treasure to be godly during their SEGA Genesis run. Their games looked, sounded and played amazingly. Alien Soldier impressed me so much.

Correct, though I must say Gunstar Heroes looked more appealing to me.

PS1 - Final Fantasy IX, Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix, Saturn - Blazing Rangers

PS2 - God of War 2, Final Fantasy XII, MGS3, Ratchet and Clank 3, Gamecube - Twilight Princess, Rogue Leader 3, RE4

PS3 - Uncharted 2/3, Final Fantasy XIII (which looked better than it did on the X360)

some examples off the top of my head.

Nes: Castlevania III
Gameboy: Gargoyle's Quest
Genesis: Virtua Racing
Snes: Starfox
Playstation: Quake II or Crash Team Racing OR Crash Bandicoot 3
N64: Conker's Bad Fur Day
Playstation 2: God of War 2 or MGS3
Gamecube: Starfox Adventures or Rogue Squadron III
Xbox: Chronicles of Riddick
Xbox 360: Tomb Raider 2013
Wii: Super Mario Galaxy 2
Playstation 3: Uncharted 3 or God of War 3

*edit*: RE4 on Gamecube and toss in a serving of Ecco or DoA2 on Sega Dreamcast

From the footage i've seen so far GTA V will be the game that pushed this gen's hardware the most. The amount of detail with such a scale is just amazing.