By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - More Xbone 180 Confirmed. Microsoft To Announce Indie Self-Publishing, New Certification Process

endimion said:

for less than a year

XBL 1 year gold 22+ month top 100 7 th place right now
MS points 20 bucks more than 2 years top 100 8th
5 and 10 MS point close to a year top 100 6th and 9th
3 month XBL 22+ month top 100 11th

so yeah if it were cow for milk I'd take the XB over the PS3 to make profit... we all know XBL is a great commercial success... or are you losing your relative fairness in the heat of the competition :D

Well if you check out amazon 2012 ranking you will found out even PSP sold more than 360 in amazon,so for MS amazon isn't really matter

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2012/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_cal_ye#3

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
pokoko said:
Uh oh, if this is true, there are going to be several super-duper angry Xbox supporters. Various people in other threads were saying that Microsoft's painful certification process is actually a GOOD thing and that self-publication would bring ruin and disaster to Xbox Live.

That is, unless they now reverse course and applaud Microsoft for the changes. That would be very interesting.

I was in that thread you are talking about because I saw you complaining about it the whole time.  And nobody or very few people stuck up for MSFT's policies.  I did see people say they as "a consumer" would prefer them to weed out indie titles.  So Im not sure who is saying the process and certification is GOOD on XBL but I dont believe anybody is using those words but you. 

As stated in the previous thread.  "I understand indie devs complaining(because yes it sucks for them), not consumers as they have had the biggest arcade/indie hits on consoles from XBLA."

And I have a strong feeling  that is what other people were saying as well and you may have been reading them the wrong way or they used poor choice in words.

Don't worry about him - he comments mostly to accuse groups of hypocrisy and to pontificate, which is exactly what he's doing here. Again. Just ignore his posts from now on.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

MB1025 said:

I'm sure you're convinced you know better, but indies themselves are calling this a 180. See here:

If you wanna see even more, go here

http://gamingirresponsibly.com/24957

ethomaz said:
pokoko said:
Uh oh, if this is true, there are going to be several super-duper angry Xbox supporters. Various people in other threads were saying that Microsoft's painful certification process is actually a GOOD thing and that self-publication would bring ruin and disaster to Xbox Live.

That is, unless they now reverse course and applaud Microsoft for the changes. That would be very interesting.

lol

To be honest indies could always self publish with the XBLIG.  What MS has not stated is if indies can self publish to XBLA which has always required a publisher.    If you really think about it, Only thing MS would need to do is open up XBLIG more, provide better update and visibility and they would not be back tracking on anything.  Also from what Marc stated, it appears MS want the X1 to be a development environment.

It really seems like MS is trickling news to keep more positive stuff coming out about the console then just just unloading everthing at once.  This may be MS ploy to go into November with a lot of feel good news thus making the stuff before and during E3 a bad dream.

Somini said:
MB1025 said:

I'm sure you're convinced you know better, but indies themselves are calling this a 180. See here:

If you wanna see even more, go here

http://gamingirresponsibly.com/24957

I guess people read what they want to read.  I remember the MS publishing guy stating that nothing is going to change but he was asked about XBLA.  From this announcement, nothing still isnt changing with XBLA.  Don Matt stated that they were developing a curated program for indies to publish their games on the X1 so does that still mean MS is back tracking.  You only have to search up that interview on Kotaku during the X1 reveal.

Around the Network
Adinnieken said:
ethomaz said:

Adinnieken said:

I'm sorry, but you are wrong.  Your insistance that this is a 180 in policy is incorrect, it isn't.

Microsoft has been consistent.  If you read the article I linked to, you would have seen that.  The Apps store is not the same as the Games store or retail.  There is a physical limitation on the size of the games available in the Apps store, and the purpose of having indies self-publish through the Apps store is so they can publish on Windows 8 as well.  Which I'm pretty sure has been posted here on VGChartz.

What Microsoft HAS reverse, as noted in the Kotaku article, are the Xbox 360 policies that they were planning on carrying forward regarding certification.

Their plans for indie publishing haven't changed.

As to the Xbox One DevKit, the only thing I can comment on is the fact that this is consistent with the Xbox LIVE Indie Games and XNA Games Development.  As with the Xbox 360, any Xbox 360 could be turned into an Xbox LIVE Indie Game development box.

This is getting in circle.

Sidhe Interactive:

"A few months ago this was not being planned by them internally, and they explicitly said it wasn't going to be possible (and that was the clear message behind closed doors). There were even factions within Microsoft aware of the stupidity of the situation who were proactively looking for loopholes to effectively allow self publishing in a practical sense even if it wasn't technically the case.

This is a change in policy and strategy from earlier in the year, and the fact it isn't going to be ready at launch is evidence that this change is recent.

Great news for independent developers and publishers in any case. Looking forward to hearing more because the devil is in the details."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=72636541&postcount=468

The self publishing policies for indies games is ALL NEW! A 180 turn around... until yesterday no indie was allowed to do that.

Well in fact the self publishing feature won't be ready for Xbone launch... so until they implement this feature in 2014 the indies will use the actual process where you need a big publisher to make your game into Xbone.

So my NOW is wrong because the policies WILL ONLY CHANGE some time after Xbone launch.

You didn't read the article I linked dating back to April, where the Indie publishing stance was outlined back then.

I'm going to put Xbox One terms into Xbox 360 terms, so the article I linked to is more understandable.

Back in April, Microsoft said that if indpendent developers wanted to publish Xbox LIVE Arcade games, or Retail games, it would have to publish using a publisher.  Which, if they didn't have a publisher, Microsoft was willing to be that publisher.  Xbox LIVE Indie Games were unaffected.  Meaning, the policies toward indie developers wouldn't change.

Microsoft after the launch of Xbox One said that with Xbox LIVE on the Xbox One there would no longer be a distinction between Xbox LIVE Arcade games and retail games.  They would all be under the Games marketplace (store). 

At the beginning of the month, if not before then, it was said that independent developers would be able to self-publish via the Apps marketplace (store).  This would mean games would be published both to Windows 8 and Xbox One's App store (potentially).  But they would be able to do that without a publisher.  This feature is equivalent to the Xbox LIVE Indie Games with the Xbox 360.  Again, as the article in April stated, the policy was no different toward XBLIG.  Even the use of a standard console as a development unit is consistent with Xbox LIVE Indie Games and the XNA Club.  Trust me, I was a part of it.

Independent publishers that develop what amounts to Xbox LIVE Arcade or Retail games must use a publisher.  This, again, is consistent with what was stated in April.  There is NO 180!

Microsoft has changed their policies on how games and patches get processed, this is a policy change from the Xbox 360 and this is a change that developers wanted because some felt Microsoft's policy was draconian.  Microsoft previously announced that it had dropped the fee associated with changes as well.

Now.  Whether this was the policy in January, I can't speak to that.  What I can say is that as of April, the policy as it was "leaked" today was essentially presented.  What is new are specifics on the publishing process, and what the limit for independent publishing are.

Here is a link to the Kotaku interview from Don during the X1 reveal.  Its consistant with what you are saying.  You do have to understand that no matter how right you are, people have made up their mind so no amount of proof will change it

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-vows-to-support-indie-developers-on-xbox-one-510129167

Gnac said:
JayWood2010 said:
pokoko said:

I was in that thread you are talking about because I saw you complaining about it the whole time.  And nobody or very few people stuck up for MSFT's policies.  I did see people say they as "a consumer" would prefer them to weed out indie titles.  So Im not sure who is saying the process and certification is GOOD on XBL but I dont believe anybody is using those words but you. 

As stated in the previous thread.  "I understand indie devs complaining(because yes it sucks for them), not consumers as they have had the biggest arcade/indie hits on consoles from XBLA."

And I have a strong feeling  that is what other people were saying as well and you may have been reading them the wrong way or they used poor choice in words.

Don't worry about him - he comments mostly to accuse groups of hypocrisy and to pontificate, which is exactly what he's doing here. Again. Just ignore his posts from now on.

I'm honestly not very familiar with his posts but thanks for the heads up :)  

I am going to set the record straight.

Whatever Microsoft had planned for indy devs has nothing to do with their stance on arcade and whatever else they are doing.

Not once did Microsoft make an official statement regarding their indy policies on the Xbox One.

Just because they had policies on the 360 and change them doesn't make this a 180. What would have been a 180 is if at E3 or any point in time before this policy announcement they said

"In order to publish an indie game on Xbox One you need a publisher"

And also just because there was no announcement and the policy was the same as the 360 it doesn't mean a 180 either. It just means the policies were the same until an official announcement was made. Which was happening next month.

MB1025 said:
I am going to set the record straight.

Whatever Microsoft had planned for indy devs has nothing to do with their stance on arcade and whatever else they are doing.

Not once did Microsoft make an official statement regarding their indy policies on the Xbox One.

Just because they had policies on the 360 and change them doesn't make this a 180. What would have been a 180 is if at E3 or any point in time before this policy announcement they said

"In order to publish an indie game on Xbox One you need a publisher"

And also just because there was no announcement and the policy was the same as the 360 it doesn't mean a 180 either. It just means the policies were the same until an official announcement was made. Which was happening next month.

This is clearly a 180 otherwise we would have heard about this back in E3 when Indie developers were trashing Microsoft's policies on Indie games. Do you realize how much bad PR resulted just from not having self-publishing from the get-go and having Indies bash your brand new console?

its a clear 180 I predict after the launch rush and xmas sales, once things stabilized in new year the numbers won't look too good for Microsoft, they have messed up

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...