By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - [CONFIRMED] Gran Turismo Movie (GamesCom Details)

Tagged games:

ethomaz said:
Confirmed by Sony.

"Sony confirmed a Gran Turismo movie is indeed in development. When approached about reports, a Sony Computer Entertainment UK spokesperson told Joystiq the Gran Turismo film is "being made," adding the company doesn't have any further comment."

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/25/gran-turismo-movie-confirmed/

Huh.

Well, good luck to them. It ain't gonna be easy to turn GT into a movie, I think.

Around the Network
riderz13371 said:
Adinnieken said:
riderz13371 said:
Adinnieken said:
bananaking21 said:
well thats stupid

Agreed.

Take a game which is an driving simulator, and turn it into an action movie. 

Don't they have another driving IP that they can water down with bad movies?  I guess we'll see Action/Adventure GT games in the future rather than the technology pushing simulators.

Oh you've seen the movie already? How was it?

Also, can I borrow your time machine? Need next weeks lottery numbers

Thanks!

First of all...

Sony hasn't won an Academy Award for best picture since 1982 (Gandhi).  They haven't won a best director award since 1987 (The Last Emperor). 

While Sony ended up with the highest market share for 2012, it did so by releasing the most movies.  However, despite that, the highest grossing film they released in 2012 was Skyfall, at #4.  If you combined Sony's top two grossing films from 2012, they still don't best or equal the three top three films that year.  This year, Sony is down all the way to #6, without a single top-ten grossing film.

Expecting a Sony film to be high-quality entertainment is an exception, not the norm. Columbia is typically Sony's quality film studio.  It's kind of like what New Line Cinema was like before Lord of the Rings. 

Note:  Warner Bros. has completely absorbed New Line, so they are no longer a running entity but they used to be known for their low-quality films. 

Finally, No.  I've already won next weeks lottery.  Sorry.

Thanks for reminding me they made Skyfall. I expect this Gran Turismo movie to be absolutely incredible now!

They were the distributor, but the studio that produces it has always been Eon Productions in association with Pinewood Studios.  As well, the scripts have generally been based-off the work of Ian Flemming.  I won't take anything away from Skyfall, because I did enjoy that movie.  The Amazing Spider-Man was largely panned, and that was Sony's second highest grossing film last year. 

That said, Sony has won more recent Script awards, but that's about the extent of it. 

Just an FYI, I'm including Columbia pictures in this as well, since they're a subsidiary of Sony Pictures.  My resource for movie numbers (which I don't have the link to anymore) only references Sony.  For the Academy Awards I referenced Wikipedia and included both Sony Pictures and Columbia House.

Oh, and they're also the distributor (through Columbia House) of Jack And Jill.  The worst movie of 2011.  Superbabies: Super Geniuses 2, Gigli, North, and Leonard Part 6, all considered the worst films of their year.  In all fairness to Sony, the now defunct MGM probably takes the award for the most worst films but Sony certainly is closely in the running.

For the record, Microsoft has 0 worst films, 0 Academy Awards, and they've grossed $0 in any current and prior year at the box office.  I don't know what Nintendo has done historically, or if Nintendo did distribute any films ever.  Buena Vista (Disney) did Super Mario Bros, but I haven't looked at the Pokémon Films.  I suspect Nintendo had someone else distribute, as Microsoft was planning to do with Halo.

Sony/Columbia will end up in the 7th spot by the time the year is over since Lionsgate will surpass them once Catching Fire gets released.

Chris Hu said:

Sony/Columbia will end up in the 7th spot by the time the year is over since Lionsgate will surpass them once Catching Fire gets released.

What are the numbers at right now? Sony still has some good movies coming out such as Elyisum, Smurfs 2 and that One Direction movie.

By "good" I mean they will most likely do well at the box office.

Adinnieken said:
riderz13371 said:
Adinnieken said:
riderz13371 said:
Adinnieken said:
bananaking21 said:
well thats stupid

Agreed.

Take a game which is an driving simulator, and turn it into an action movie. 

Don't they have another driving IP that they can water down with bad movies?  I guess we'll see Action/Adventure GT games in the future rather than the technology pushing simulators.

Oh you've seen the movie already? How was it?

Also, can I borrow your time machine? Need next weeks lottery numbers

Thanks!

First of all...

Sony hasn't won an Academy Award for best picture since 1982 (Gandhi).  They haven't won a best director award since 1987 (The Last Emperor). 

While Sony ended up with the highest market share for 2012, it did so by releasing the most movies.  However, despite that, the highest grossing film they released in 2012 was Skyfall, at #4.  If you combined Sony's top two grossing films from 2012, they still don't best or equal the three top three films that year.  This year, Sony is down all the way to #6, without a single top-ten grossing film.

Expecting a Sony film to be high-quality entertainment is an exception, not the norm. Columbia is typically Sony's quality film studio.  It's kind of like what New Line Cinema was like before Lord of the Rings. 

Note:  Warner Bros. has completely absorbed New Line, so they are no longer a running entity but they used to be known for their low-quality films. 

Finally, No.  I've already won next weeks lottery.  Sorry.

Thanks for reminding me they made Skyfall. I expect this Gran Turismo movie to be absolutely incredible now!

They were the distributor, but the studio that produces it has always been Eon Productions in association with Pinewood Studios.  As well, the scripts have generally been based-off the work of Ian Flemming.  I won't take anything away from Skyfall, because I did enjoy that movie.  The Amazing Spider-Man was largely panned, and that was Sony's second highest grossing film last year. 

That said, Sony has won more recent Script awards, but that's about the extent of it. 

Just an FYI, I'm including Columbia pictures in this as well, since they're a subsidiary of Sony Pictures.  My resource for movie numbers (which I don't have the link to anymore) only references Sony.  For the Academy Awards I referenced Wikipedia and included both Sony Pictures and Columbia House.

Oh, and they're also the distributor (through Columbia House) of Jack And Jill.  The worst movie of 2011.  Superbabies: Super Geniuses 2, Gigli, North, and Leonard Part 6, all considered the worst films of their year.  In all fairness to Sony, the now defunct MGM probably takes the award for the most worst films but Sony certainly is closely in the running.

For the record, Microsoft has 0 worst films, 0 Academy Awards, and they've grossed $0 in any current and prior year at the box office.  I don't know what Nintendo has done historically, or if Nintendo did distribute any films ever.  Buena Vista (Disney) did Super Mario Bros, but I haven't looked at the Pokémon Films.  I suspect Nintendo had someone else distribute, as Microsoft was planning to do with Halo.

TL;DR

Around the Network

These are the numbers right now:

http://boxofficemojo.com/studio/?view=company&view2=yearly&yr=2013&p=.htm

I don't think Sony/Colubia has enough to stay ahead especially since Lionsgate also has another movie that could become huge (wild card) in Ender's Game.  Also when it come to the Academy Awards I'm pretty sure that the Weinstein Company will walk away with the most awards as for the Razzies Sony got that one locked up with Grown Ups 2.

Chris Hu said:

These are the numbers right now:

http://boxofficemojo.com/studio/?view=company&view2=yearly&yr=2013&p=.htm

I don't think Sony/Colubia has enough to stay ahead especially since Lionsgate also has another movie that could become huge (wild card) in Ender's Game.  Also when it come to the Academy Awards I'm pretty sure that the Weinstein Company will walk away with the most awards as for the Razzies Sony got that one locked up with Grown Ups 2.

Nice find!  That site has more info than the site I stumbled upon.

Edit:  Sad, some good movies do really poorly while some real stinkers do so well.

sales2099 said:
ethomaz said:
sales2099 said:
In order for this to sell at the box office, its gonna need

- Bros,
- Sexy women
- a So-so plot
- action/fast chases that defy some driving physics

These are all things that the video game does not represent in the slightest. It will change/damage the brand and to that I say, it would be about time the IP sells based on its gameplay and not the name alone/nostalgia.

If the game sells based in its gameplay then I expect huge success in coming years... it is AMAZING.

Lets not get into this.....we know the meta scores of the 3 GT releases this gen. GT6 should hopefully break the cycle.

But you do agree that any movie would attract a audience that conflicts with the current fanbase?

First, when is an 84 meta bad? Gt has never been the highest rated racing game Second what does it have to do with anything and 3rd despite the apparently low meta it’s still chosen the most by gamers/ Sim racers. There must be a reason, Maybe Meta means dick when it comes to certain games, and GT is one of them.

I would much prefer a documentary....

Hmm, I don't know if an action movie would be the best way to go. I remember the Movie Grand Prix http://www.impawards.com/1966/grand_prix_ver2.html
Which was a drama, if Sony can replicate that, then they will be doing the series justice, as GT movie should be more drama than action.