By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is the Wii really competing with PS3 and Xbox 360?

Hawk said:

For myself, it was never a question of "Do I get a Wii, Xbox 360, or a PS3?".

For me, there was no doubt, the Wii was a must have, and then the decision was should I get a PS3 or Xbox 360 for my second console. I decided to get a Xbox 360. I am very happy with my systems. The Wii is a different type of gaming experience which the 360 and PS3 cannot provide, and then the 360 is excellent for my "hard core" (as others would explain it) gaming needs.

My feeling is the Wii has succeeded in being a different type of gaming system. It really doesn't directly compete with the other systems but really is in a different category. The Wii supplements the other systems, rather than competes.

I am curious if this is how it is for the majority of people. Or is it really a decision of which ONE will I get of the three. Or, I am really curious, if there is anyone out there actually decides to get a 360 and PS3 and has no plans on getting a Wii.

the answer is NO!

wii is another market segment.

like ds and psp.

what we see now it's that innovating gameplay gives more results than innovating power(graphics ,media ect)

but in the end we are speaking of consoles,leaving behind sony and microsoft vision.

so ds give me all my needs in gaming.

I hope in future wii will do the same.

now i play wii&ds

best choice for a gamer

japaneses seem to agree whit this looking at sales

I still play pc games...IMHO best choice for online and for graphics(if you have enough money)

but I simply never considered PC as a console.

Around the Network
llewdebkram said:
I love Nintenodo's in house games so I buy a Wii, I loved the idea of playing and competing online with others so I bought an XBOX 360. I then discovered listening to foul mouthed Americans and competing against some who obviously take it way to seriously when they lose is no fun and I discover I actually prefer to work through games and complete them myself, so I sold my XBOX 360. I don't like endless repeats/sequals of PS2 games and it seems a lot of the games I will be able to play on the Wii anyway, so i will never buy a PS3 unless it comes down near PS2 prices.

I'm not not much of an online gamer for that reason. If I do play online, I try to make sure I can't hear any of the other people. I like to leave racism, homophobia, and immature people that are trying to say the f-word as much as possible to be cool out of my gaming experience. I have a PS3 (and NDS-L), but online wasn't a huge factor as I like to play games the old fashioned way - solo or having friends over to play on multiple controllers.

But to answer the original question, I definitely think the Wii is starting a new market for games, that is separate from the HD game market. Games will likely either be in the PC/X360/PS3 camp or the Wii camp.

Oh yeah, I'm probably going to have all systems of this gen by the end of the year. 

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Legend11 said:

I think price has a lot to do with the current situation and if products are competing with each other. For example if the Wii was priced at $450 or $500 would it be selling out like it is now? If they had made the PS3 without blu-ray and had scaled back on a few other things and released a console for $199 or $250 how would it be selling?

I think that the Wii isn't really competing with anyone (or maybe the PS2) at the low-end in console gaming and that the 360 and PS3 are competing for the high-end in console gaming.

Yea, I'm sure the PS3 could have done better if it was able to be launched around the price of the Xbox 360 without blu-ray.  It looks like some of the production cost could be cut as they change manufacturing processes for the diodes - http://newtech.aurum3.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=677&Itemid=18

Hopefully, that will turn out. 

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Wii60 works for me.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
Legend11 said:

I think price has a lot to do with the current situation and if products are competing with each other.  For example if the Wii was priced at $450 or $500 would it be selling out like it is now? If they had made the PS3 without blu-ray and had scaled back on a few other things and released a console for $199 or $250 how would it be selling?

I think that the Wii isn't really competing with anyone (or maybe the PS2) at the low-end in console gaming and that the 360 and PS3 are competing for the high-end in console gaming.

Price is the problem (I don't think there is much of doubt about that) but this ends up causing a problem with compounds upon itself ...

1. The high price means that a lot of users can not afford it
  2. Early adopters realise that (because of 1) the system will be less popular and have less exclusive games making it less valueable

PSWII60 is right where I want to be.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

PSWii here. Totally agree.

When you will be able to run UE3.0 on Wii, then yeah, Wii will compete with ps3, and with xbox360. =)) till then, wii is just for casuals, who bought bandle of Wii sport or Wii play.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Wii/DS only here, maybe a few PC games, it looks like it will be getting the lion's share of games that I bought last gen. $250 was far more than I've ever paid for a video game console before, and I honestly hope not to repeat that for a LONG time. While shuffling funds for the Wii I skimped on buying games for months on end, thus why I'm still catching up on my growing PS2/Gamecube collections. I have no quarrel with people who enjoy the 360 or PS3, but I do have a problem with it when they feel that it's the only way to play games and berate what I enjoy. What good do all of those big blockbuster games do if they're not the type of game I enjoy? I also don't have an HDTV (nor will I get one before my current one dies AND the prices are comparable for the size, ignoring LCD's since 100% of my stuff is SD), I also live in an area without real broadband (last I checked 33% of americans can't get cable/dsl). I realize my taste in games aren't mainstream, but really, why should I invest in something I won't enjoy? I plan on getting either Supreme Commander, Tales of the Abyss, or Radiata Stories this week while putting down a preorder on Odin Sphere. :) Maybe even Etrian Odyssey (DS) soon. ;) Btw, CrazzyMan, I'm a helluva long way from a casual gamer. 40+ PS2 games and 25+ gamecube games, and I play over 20 hours a week on average. The PS2 has Odin Sphere and Soul Nomad coming out here this year, not to mention the games I still have yet to get (Xenosaga III, Tales of the Abyss, Radiata Stories, Zone of the Enders 2, and many more). The Wii is, this year alone, gonna be getting a lot of games I like, some of which, believe it or not, are actually 3rd party. :) The only 2 games I want for PS3/360 so far are Armored Core 4 and Eternal Sonata/Trusty Bell. Not exactly something worth spending hundreds of dollars for. For Wii I own Zelda, Red Steel, Super Monkey Ball, and Super Paper Mario, along with about 8 virtual console games.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.