By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is the Wii really competing with PS3 and Xbox 360?

Gballzack said:

This is just one of those discussions PS3 or 360 fans try to think up to justify why their system is being steam rolled by the Wii.

Just to point out something for you Gballzack.  I did not start this discussion for that reason at all.  I personally am a completely loyal Ninteno fan.  I'm estatic that it looks like they are going to gain their crown back as the dominating console.  (Just to point out too, they will be the first console maker to lose domination and then gain it back.  Go Big N!).  Every generation the decision for me was, I'm for sure getting a Nintendo, and then deciding what my second console will be from the other choices.

I just thought this generation was a bit different.  MicroSoft and Sony are drifting away from strict game consoles towards Multimedia, PC like, gaming systems.  Nintendo is the only one thats keeping a focus on a game console only, and even the most unique game console yet.  I mean, I personally know three couples that have never gotten a gaming sysem before, but are highly excited about getting a Wii when they find one.

I personally thought, that anyone thats going to shell out the dollars for the high end 360 or PS3, would totally buy a Wii as well to get a complete gaming experience.  And I was curious if my theory was right.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Around the Network
Gballzack said:
steverhcp02 said:please, just stop......"runt of the litter" give me a break.......and the ps3 is hardly losing "all" of its exclusives....not a very good first post, my friend.

Perhaps you'd like to offer some subtance to your claims rather than bluffing? PS2 was the runt of the litter in graphics, it was far behind the GC and Xbox, but its popularity and games (Just as the Wii's will) made it a success.

And I can't think of any other PS3 exclusives that matter really. Devil May Cry 4 is cross platform, Virtua Fighter 5 is cross platform, Assassin's Creed is cross platform. MGS4 has been confirmed for 360 by Konami. And there is talk of the two main FF13 games for the PS3 going to 360 too by Square/Enix of Japan. And While I'm sure Sony has a plethora of no name games comming out you fanboys will try and convince yourselves are the best thing since sliced bread, the rest of us and (I'm sure the numbers will agree) don't care.

.... not a very good retort, my friend.

first bolded part = you should not be allowed to post.

Second bolded part = before the xbox halo was a no name game.  Before last november gears of war was a no name game.  Reword you post, you said ALL EXCLUSIVES, not "exclusives that i feel are popular" 

steverhcp02 said:

Second bolded part = before the xbox halo was a no name game.  Before last november gears of war was a no name game.  Reword you post, you said ALL EXCLUSIVES, not "exclusives that i feel are popular" 

And how many of the PS3's no name games have been anything more than an excuse to justify the system. How many halo's do you honestly think the PS3 will turn out? Killzone 3? Oh yes, because the first two did so well as Halo killers, lol.

And I appologize that you took the wording of my post so literally as to deny yourself the satisfaction of trying to propogandize the PS3. If it makes you feel any better, you guys still have God of War 3, that'll be comming out soon right? Or perhaps in three years, either or :) The PS3 will still be around then right? Lol. Good sir if this wasn't the internet I would hand you a box of tissues in condolences for your failed gaming console.

Gballzack said:
steverhcp02 said:

Second bolded part = before the xbox halo was a no name game. Before last november gears of war was a no name game. Reword you post, you said ALL EXCLUSIVES, not "exclusives that i feel are popular"

And how many of the PS3's no name games have been anything more than an excuse to justify the system. How many halo's do you honestly think the PS3 will turn out? Killzone 3? Oh yes, because the first two did so well as Halo killers, lol.

And I appologize that you took the wording of my post so literally as to deny yourself the satisfaction of trying to propogandize the PS3. If it makes you feel any better, you guys still have God of War 3, that'll be comming out soon right? Or perhaps in three years, either or :) The PS3 will still be around then right? Lol. Good sir if this wasn't the internet I would hand you a box of tissues in condolences for your failed gaming console.

why would i cry over the console i chose after my xbox broke 2 times.  I only commented on your baseless sensationlizing post about exclusives.  FF, MGS4, GT are all still exclusive....the three largest of the large, not to mention ratchet, etc.

I never once discussed the longevity or the lifespan of the PS3..i responded directly to your false comments......and how can you be sorry i took what you said literally.  You said it, if you didnt mean it dont say it.  ALL EXCLUSIVES is quite the qualifier....

Good thing you didnt comment on your MGS4 "mistake" either, huh.

So where you say something and i respond, you tell me to not take your words literally, i comment on what you said....you on the other hand, make up a rant about denying myself satisfaction with propaganda to make myself feel better.  Respond to what i type, not what you THINK you know about me or my feelings, as i responded to what you typed. 

steverhcp02 said: why would i cry over the console i chose after my xbox broke 2 times.  I only commented on your baseless sensationlizing post about exclusives.  FF, MGS4, GT are all still exclusive....the three largest of the large, not to mention ratchet, etc.

I never once discussed the longevity or the lifespan of the PS3..i responded directly to your false comments......and how can you be sorry i took what you said literally.  You said it, if you didnt mean it dont say it.  ALL EXCLUSIVES is quite the qualifier....

Good thing you didnt comment on your MGS4 "mistake" either, huh.

So where you say something and i respond, you tell me to not take your words literally, i comment on what you said....you on the other hand, make up a rant about denying myself satisfaction with propaganda to make myself feel better.  Respond to what i type, not what you THINK you know about me or my feelings, as i responded to what you typed. 

FF is going to be on all consoles in different instalments of a single whole, two parts on PS3, one on 360, one on Wii, one on PSP and one on DS. MGS4 is going to be on the 360, sorry, Konami has confirmed this, Hideo and the MGS4 team deny it, but Konami gets to make that decision. Three largest of the large? LMFAO!!! Maybe Final Fantasy but MGS3 did poorly, why do you think anyone will give too shits about MGS4 after the hype runs its course after launch? Ratchet, yeah, people care about that I guess, pity it doesn' t sell systems. And here you're calling my acusations baseless, lol. Keep telling yourself these games will salvage your forty pound joke of R&D.

I still don't see how my original wording held me to anything. Have you ever heard of a "hyperbole?" I imagine not. It's not my fault you took a clear and undeniable Hyperbole to its most literal degree. You're just a Sony fanboy arguing Semantics, my words held me to nothing in the context and I certainly in no way married my words to the finite measure of their utmost possible literal meaning. You're simply just attacking a semantic inconsistancy because it shot down your original attack which you were so sure would shoot me down. Now you're retaliating like a scorned child out for revenge. Pathetic really.

Also, cry more. "BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!" LOL

Around the Network
Hawk said:

For myself, it was never a question of "Do I get a Wii, Xbox 360, or a PS3?".

For me, there was no doubt, the Wii was a must have, and then the decision was should I get a PS3 or Xbox 360 for my second console. I decided to get a Xbox 360. I am very happy with my systems. The Wii is a different type of gaming experience which the 360 and PS3 cannot provide, and then the 360 is excellent for my "hard core" (as others would explain it) gaming needs.

My feeling is the Wii has succeeded in being a different type of gaming system. It really doesn't directly compete with the other systems but really is in a different category. The Wii supplements the other systems, rather than competes.

I am curious if this is how it is for the majority of people. Or is it really a decision of which ONE will I get of the three. Or, I am really curious, if there is anyone out there actually decides to get a 360 and PS3 and has no plans on getting a Wii.

Here's why it's a big deal;

Not everybody can afford multiple consoles. Hell, if I had the money, I'd buy all three, but having a fixed budget limits my entertainment options. 

I'm sure the situation applies to many other people. See: low-ish ps3 numbers. 

Currently playing: Civ 6

cdude1034 said:

Here's why it's a big deal;

Not everybody can afford multiple consoles. Hell, if I had the money, I'd buy all three, but having a fixed budget limits my entertainment options. 

I'm sure the situation applies to many other people. See: low-ish ps3 numbers. 

I whole heartedly agree, also, even if it was feasable, buying all three solves nothing either, its not a simple matter of the games before the systems. For example, I don't want Sony's vision of gaming's future to ever come true, I don't like their business philosophy, I don't like their low quality constructed products, so buying theirs along with the Wii and 360 doesn't solve anything. I want something I'll be able to play for ever, not a UMD that will fall apart six months after I buy it new, a PSP that doesn't work after one small drop, a PS2 eventually dying out because of its plastic drive parts and poor design resulting in its library of games now sitting useless to me. This generation is more than just who has the games, its more than owning all three, this isn't the days of Nintendo, Sega and NEC, its about taking a stand for what you want the future of gaming to be. PC-gaming is fine but I don't want to buy a console to do a half assed job of it (i.e. PS3 and to a lesser degree, 360) and with Sony claiming the PS4 won't even have a physical game format (you download all the games), I'm not buying into that shit, Sony has showed us time and time again they don't have the best interests of the consumer or gaming in mind. Microsoft is at least making a concerted effort to deliver a product for the consumer and Nintendo has made a complete turn around with what looks to be their two most successful products ever, the Wii and DS.