By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Pikmin 3 Thread-Questions, Thoughts and Opinions inside! Did you pick it up?

Pikmin 3

Metacritic

www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/pikmin-3/critic-reviews

Overview

Pikmin 3 is the 3rd entry in the RTS Pikmin franchise (obviously). It's the first game in 9 years, and the first "real" Wii U game from Nintendo for 2013. It's out in Japan, but it releases in Europe on the 26th July, and America on the 4th August. The gameplay is similar to that in previous Pikmin games, and is as you control a group of up to 100 creatures called Pikmin, using their varied abilities to complete tasks and traverse the overworld.  Pikmin come in many colours and have many different abilities, for example, Red Pikmin are immune to fire, whilst Blue Pikmin can swim underwater.

Unlike the previous games, you no longer control Captain Olimar; instead you can instantly switch between 3 different heroes, speeding up puzzle solving and exploration. Also, there is no time limit, unlike the first game. The game is supposed to take about 30 in-game days to complete (making it much longer than previous titles), though there are up to 100 days allowed. However, you can reset the game and play from a certain, previous day.

Three different control schemes are avaliable, the Wiimote and Nunchuck, Gamepad and Wii U Pro Controller. The Gamepad can either be used to play off-screen, or as a map so strategies can be planned out in advance.

Game Modes

Pikmin 3 contains a number of different modes. A Story mode involves going through a foreign planet to collect food for a dying planet. A Mission Mode is similar to the Challenge mode in previous games, and features 3 different types: Collect the Fruit, Battle Enemies, and Defeat Bosses. Finally, Bingo Battle involves 2 players are each given a Bingo Card, containing Fruit, Enemies and Marbles. The objective is to get a "Bingo" first by collecting or defeating as required.

Pikmin Types

Above are the Pikmin which will be featured in Pikmin 3. The Rock Pikmin will replace it, and can break objects such as glass and crystal, as well as withstand attacks such as boulders. Conversely, the Pink Pikmin have the ability to fly and carry items in the air.

It should be noted that the White Pikmin are not in the story mode of Pikmin 3, only the Mission Mode.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, are you excited for Pikmin 3? I know I am! Not long to wait now, and when the game launches I will update this OP with Mission Mode information and leaderboards. So, go Pikmin people!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

I am heavily hyped. Looks phenomenal.

My only fear is that enemies look like pushovers.

My hype level is a 10 out of 10. If I actually had a Wii U to play this on it would be a 500 out of 10.

Still, this game looks gorgeously done and the mechanics look crisp as always.

morenoingrato said:
I am heavily hyped. Looks phenomenal.

My only fear is that enemies look like pushovers.

I don't think we've seen much of the game, though. A lot of what we've seen looks to be early in the game, so who knows.

This game alone will make my Wii U purchase 100% worth it. My most highly anticipated game right now. The hype is way too much to bare! I'm also very nervous, though, because I'm hoping for a lot of things with this release.

1) That it boosts the Wii U's sales
2) That it sells enough for us to get another game this generation (waiting nine years is completely not okay)
3) That the game has enough content (after waiting this long, I need something meaty, a campaign at least as long as Pikmin 2's--I have nightmares of caveless levels and eight-hour stories)

So between all this I'm pretty much a nervous wreck.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Around the Network

Pikmin 4 for WiiU! I hope... It comes out in either 2017 or 2018! We need more pikmin! Next imo A green + orange pikmin!

Oh yea and Alph for SSB4!

tbone51 said:
Pikmin 4 for WiiU! I hope... It comes out in either 2017 or 2018! We need more pikmin! Next imo A green + orange pikmin!

That's pretty optimistic...

Also, Olimar is in SSB4, so I doubt any other characters will be. Maybe an optinal skin, though (like Daisy).

Conegamer said:
tbone51 said:

Also, Olimar is in SSB4, so I doubt any other characters will be. Maybe an optinal skin, though (like Daisy).

theres actually a theory to my reason, and i also notice other people thought the same as me on Miiverse. Its the fact that in all of the pics with olimar and/or pikmin, there isn't a single rock or wing pikmin. This means 1 out of 2 things. Sakarai doesn't want us to see how they look yet(weird) or Olimar is exclusive to white and purple pikmin while another character (Alph) has rock and wing pikmin exclusive. Makes sense to represent each captain theme. Also they could be like mario and luigi? Similar fighting styles but different attacks/methods! Just saying my prediction has some strong points behind it, unless sakarai doesn't include rock/wing pikmin which imo would be a terrible decision since pikmin 3 is coming/ already came out!

tbone51 said:
Conegamer said:
tbone51 said:

theres actually a theory to my reason, and i also notice other people thought the same as me on Miiverse. Its the fact that in all of the pics with olimar and/or pikmin, there isn't a single rock or wing pikmin. This means 1 out of 2 things. Sakarai doesn't want us to see how they look yet(weird) or Olimar is exclusive to white and purple pikmin while another character (Alph) has rock and wing pikmin exclusive. Makes sense to represent each captain theme. Also they could be like mario and luigi? Similar fighting styles but different attacks/methods! Just saying my prediction has some strong points behind it, unless sakarai doesn't include rock/wing pikmin which imo would be a terrible decision since pikmin 3 is coming/ already came out!

I agree with this! Alph should be a character! (or maybe Brittany so there's more girls in the game) Pikmin is that awesome of a franchise so it deserves multiple characters!

Also, please no spoilers from those of you luckys in Japan! D: