By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - CVG: Driveclub Dev Debating Over 60fps Target

Tagged games:

ethomaz said:

See the 60fps is much smoother and have more animations when the cube rotates.

Can you see?

For games with fast timing this make all the difference... Street Fight IV, GT5, Forza can't be played in 30fps... you will always lost the right timing for the combos and to make the turns perfectly.

For FPS games the action became better... that is the main advantage of CoD over any other FPS this gen... and I guess the motive everybody loved it... Battlefield 4 is trying to catch this on the nextgen.

Of course I see it. I am also focusing my attention on a single cube, not on a wide screen with a lot of stuff happening, while trying to play the best I can. I still don't notice it while gaming though. It must go beyond 25 or something so that it becomes annoying (that is called lag, of course).

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

Around the Network

60 FPS is overrated in my opinion, you almost wouldn't notice the difference between 60 and 30 until you directly compare them side by side and keep staring. Sure, it is cool to have but almost pointless.

Mmmfishtacos said:
The physics wont be real world. Frames will not matter to achieve better times.

it will matter since your reaction times counts even without physics. why do you think he said the coders want 60fps even if it wouldn't change anything? makes no sense to want that then.

ghettoglamour said:

Of course I see it. I am also focusing my attention on a single cube, not on a wide screen with a lot of stuff happening, while trying to play the best I can. I still don't notice it while gaming though. It must go beyond 25 or something so that it becomes annoying (that is called lag, of course).

It is not about what you see on the screen... it is about feeling and timing... you can't make the perfect turn in GT5 or the combos in a battle in SFIV in 30fps.

I can't explain better... when you playing the GT Academy demo each millesecond matter to get the top spot in the world (or even your region)... the same for SFIV tournaments if you can't do the combo right then you lost.

CoD have a hell o benefice because it is 60fps... it is more enjoyable and you can fast play difference of others FPS that seems to play like in slow motion (Killzone says hi)... I like both but CoD experience is way better than Killzone (can you look at players saying the Killzone have slow controller response? It is not only the controller response.. it is about the feeling you have when playing a 30fps compared with a 60fps).

VXIII said:
60 FPS is overrated in my opinion, you almost wouldn't notice the difference between 60 and 30 until you directly compare them side by side and keep staring. Sure, it is cool to have but almost pointless.

What you see in the screen have little changes (you need to look close) but the gameplay changes from water to wine.

Play Street Fighter IV in PC at 30fps and try to win using combo attacks... you will get mad and take the controller on the screen because the combos not get in... the feelling and time to make the perfect input goes to hell when playing in 30fps.

Now games like Tekken, Mortal Kombat, etc... you don't need 60fps because you don't have milesseconds combos.

In Arcade racing even if you miss the right spot to make a turn... you make a turn easily... now in GT or Forza when you miss the right spot (it is question of mileseconds again) you just go out of the track and lost all the race (you can start the race and try again or use crap rewind feature in Forza lol).

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
VXIII said:

What you see in the screen have little changes (you need to look close) but the gameplay changes from what to wine.

Play Street Fighter IV in PC at 30fps and try to win using combo attacks... you will get mad and take the controller on the screen because the combos not get in... the feelling and time to make the perfect input goes to hell when playing in 30fps.

Ethomaz, you beat me to the punch. Great post.

ethomaz said:
VXIII said:

What you see in the screen have little changes (you need to look close) but the gameplay changes from water to wine.

Now games like Tekken, Mortal Kombat, etc... you don't need 60fps because you don't have milesseconds combos.

In Arcade racing even if you miss the right spot to make a turn... you make a turn easily... now in GT or Forza when you miss the right spot (it is question of mileseconds again) you just go out of the track and lost all the race (you can start the race and try again or use crap rewind feature in Forza lol).

Considering that I don't play fighting or driving simulator games my take on this might be indeed lacking. I can see 60 FPS matters in some genres now. Thanks for clarifying.

30fps? That's just laughable for a next gen racing simulation.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Porcupine_I said:

Simulation?

ethomaz said:
Porcupine_I said:

Simulation?

Oh, it isn't? Then i apologize for what i said.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’