mk dd 71 39.23%

mk ds 18 9.94%

mk wii 32 17.68%

mk 3ds 19 10.50%

mortal kombat 8 4.42%

Total:181
curl-6 said:
Arius Dion said:

So while the 20 gamecube fans are orgasming over Pikmin 3 and WW HD, I see these games as big 'why's? WW was garbage, Pikmin..cricket...cricket. lol. They now want to fuse F-Zero with MK, 3D World is a kick in the mouth to 2D Mario fans (and 3D Mario fans as well I might add) DKC is the only game that seems to actually make sense. The Gamepad itself is a big turn off. 

While I don't agree about Pikmin 3 or MK8, I do agree with the overall sentiment that Nintendo seems to be repeating the mistakes of the Gamecube by making poor creative decisions with their franchises. 3D World looks like Sunshine all over again, and NSMBU wasn't what gamers wanted either; all we need now is a toon Zelda and the self-sabotage will be complete.

Nintendo need to get with the program and listen to what gamers who aren't already fans want from them. They need new consumers more than ever.

I understand. And to those who really enjoyed Pikmin, I'm glad they get their sequel (Why it took this long is beyond me) MK8 It looks great, but I'm left scratching my head why nitnendo feels they always need a catchy gimmick (antigravity) instead of just listening to the critiques and just make a better version. Many times, simplicity is better than bloat. 

The entire gaming industry is in need of new consumers. The problem is, none are attempting to court any. If you don't like FPS' or cinematic QTE's you are fresh out of luck. Nintendo has the ability to create new customers, but they choose not to do so. I think its because it takes actual hard work to do so. 

I like your wording of self sabotage, that may very well be the case. Gamecube really hurt many Nintendo franchises. What I'm realizing as I read through this thread is that many folks are either in their teens and early twenties. They grew up with GC, so they weren't old enough to see how Gamecube was mocked and considered a joke. The reason Twilight Princess' reveal was so emotional, is because of the damage WW caused. And now, we get another WW. Aonuma likes his chibi Link, I guess it reminds him of his college days of making dolls.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network
Arius Dion said:
curl-6 said:
Arius Dion said:

So while the 20 gamecube fans are orgasming over Pikmin 3 and WW HD, I see these games as big 'why's? WW was garbage, Pikmin..cricket...cricket. lol. They now want to fuse F-Zero with MK, 3D World is a kick in the mouth to 2D Mario fans (and 3D Mario fans as well I might add) DKC is the only game that seems to actually make sense. The Gamepad itself is a big turn off. 

While I don't agree about Pikmin 3 or MK8, I do agree with the overall sentiment that Nintendo seems to be repeating the mistakes of the Gamecube by making poor creative decisions with their franchises. 3D World looks like Sunshine all over again, and NSMBU wasn't what gamers wanted either; all we need now is a toon Zelda and the self-sabotage will be complete.

Nintendo need to get with the program and listen to what gamers who aren't already fans want from them. They need new consumers more than ever.

I understand. And to those who really enjoyed Pikmin, I'm glad they get their sequel (Why it took this long is beyond me) MK8 It looks great, but I'm left scratching my head why nitnendo feels they always need a catchy gimmick (antigravity) instead of just listening to the critiques and just make a better version. Many times, simplicity is better than bloat. 

The entire gaming industry is in need of new consumers. The problem is, none are attempting to court any. If you don't like FPS' or cinematic QTE's you are fresh out of luck. Nintendo has the ability to create new customers, but they choose not to do so. I think its because it takes actual hard work to do so. 

I like your wording of self sabotage, that may very well be the case. Gamecube really hurt many Nintendo franchises. What I'm realizing as I read through this thread is that many folks are either in their teens and early twenties. They grew up with GC, so they weren't old enough to see how Gamecube was mocked and considered a joke. The reason Twilight Princess' reveal was so emotional, is because of the damage WW caused. And now, we get another WW. Aonuma likes his chibi Link, I guess it reminds him of his college days of making dolls.

I guess with MK8 I feel that by adding a new element it will seem less "been there done that." Hopefully they can tweak MKWii's critiques as well.

As someone who started gaming on the SNES, I remember the GC era well; it was seen as being for little kids only, and my friends who gamed on the N64 before it talked about how Nintendo wasn't cool  any more and how Zelda and Mario were "ruined" in Wind Waker and Sunshine.

The kids who grew up with it are of forum poster age now, so the revisionist historians of the internet act as though it was this amazing and beloved console, but in reality it was widely disliked for being horribly out of touch with what gamers wanted.

I enjoyed WW but Sunshine was a disappointment (felt rushed).

Arius Dion said:
Spazzy_D said:
Arius Dion said:
Double Dash was the worst Mario kart ever to grace a Nintendo Home Console.

I'm amused how Gamecube is seen as such an amazing console, even though the damn things was the biggest flop of a console to come from Nintendo.

Luckily for the few Gamecube fans out there, they've received a new console that is trying to appeal to them with the Wii U. Complete with a Pikmin sequel and WW HD remake. Just a matter of time before the sales really pick up, I'm sure.

Exactly what I was talking about.  Lol that it's someone that's  a Metroid Prime fan, too.  Fact of the matter is that the Wii U isn't a Gamecube.... Gamecube had high end specs and didn't have a gimmicky controller!  (it's also not a Wii though, so it fails at being both.  Nintendo fan boys have to realize that they tried to split the difference with this thing, it's NOT Nintendo's attempt to go out and grab the core with a "me too console."  They tried to appeal to both markets with this and managed to piss both off, lol)

: ) 

I checked your previous comment and it is funny. The only thing I would say is that I am not a Nintendo 'fanboy'  I was a fan. But Nintendo seems to have mental issues. And I refuse to just go along with the program just because its Nintendo. They have a backwards mentality in terms of online infrastructure, they like to leverage gimmicky ideas and attach them to well known franchises (shoehorning these ideas into games they don't belong in mind you) 

@Bolded: LoL. That's an interesting way of putting it. I don't think they tried to appeal to the Wii audience at all though, aside from putting Wii in the console name. But both sides seem to be pissed off that much is clear. I think one of the reasons for this Nintendo is such an OG in the gaming biz that they have a very varied fan base. People of the NES/SNES gens and the N64/GC gens. I'm kind of inbetween both. But I favor the NES/SNES side, which is why the Wii was a great console in its hey day. It felt like a classic console. The Wii U is an abandonment of the Wii in every sense of the word. 

Why would a fan of Wii be enticed to buy a Wii U? I've no idea. Thus I haven't bought one. 

Tbh, I went from being baffled by the Wii U, to hostile to it, to amused by it. Its a joke. I find it funny myself now. Lets see how low it can go! Hopefully Nintendo learns a much needed lesson and stops bull shitting. Regardless of specs, (which is the least of Wii U's issues) Wii U is definitely a spiritual successor to Cube. The thing looks like a GCN with the GBA attached. 

I'm 31 years old, the NES got me into gaming (my brother had an Atari and an Intellivision, but the NES is what made me a gamer) and the SNES is my favorite system of all time, hands down.  That being said, the Gamecube got me back into Nintendo after I felt like the N64 was kind of "meh,"  I mean I loved Ocarina, Mario 64, and Rare's shooters but I played my PS1 more then my 64.  My PS2 actually got less play then my Xbox, Dreamcast, and especially my Cube (I was in college at the time and didn't have money for food, but damn I was going to save and play video games, lol.)  I guess I'm a weird case...  although the fact that I was in college probably had something to do with it.  Dreamcast, Xbox, and especially Gamecube were built for local multiplayer as opposed to the PS2.  Add that to the fact that I loved the controller and sunk more time into SSBM then any game ever and I have a lot of fond memories about the system.

Here is the thing about it being a "Wii 2.0" and not a "Gamecube 2.0."  I get what you're saying, but the Gamecube clearly went after the core market, and the Wii, in the eyes of the traditional gamer, abandoned them by putting out a system with specs comparable to last gen systems and a gimmicky controller instead of a standard duel analogue design.  This is, of course, ridiculous.  The Wii was a haven for retro gaming... any system that gave me a proper sequel to both Punch-Out and a Boy and his Blob was a system for gamers in my opnion.  That is, how ever, how the so caled "core" saw it.  It is the same way they see the Wii U.  They do NOT see the controller as being a substitue for a traditional controller, which is also ridiculous, but it is what it is.  Nintendo failed everyone.

Spazzy_D said:
Arius Dion said:
Spazzy_D said:
Arius Dion said:

I'm amused how Gamecube is seen as such an amazing console, even though the damn things was the biggest flop of a console to come from Nintendo.

Luckily for the few Gamecube fans out there, they've received a new console that is trying to appeal to them with the Wii U. Complete with a Pikmin sequel and WW HD remake. Just a matter of time before the sales really pick up, I'm sure.

Exactly what I was talking about.  Lol that it's someone that's  a Metroid Prime fan, too.  Fact of the matter is that the Wii U isn't a Gamecube.... Gamecube had high end specs and didn't have a gimmicky controller!  (it's also not a Wii though, so it fails at being both.  Nintendo fan boys have to realize that they tried to split the difference with this thing, it's NOT Nintendo's attempt to go out and grab the core with a "me too console."  They tried to appeal to both markets with this and managed to piss both off, lol)

I checked your previous comment and it is funny. The only thing I would say is that I am not a Nintendo 'fanboy'  I was a fan. But Nintendo seems to have mental issues. And I refuse to just go along with the program just because its Nintendo. They have a backwards mentality in terms of online infrastructure, they like to leverage gimmicky ideas and attach them to well known franchises (shoehorning these ideas into games they don't belong in mind you) 

@Bolded: LoL. That's an interesting way of putting it. I don't think they tried to appeal to the Wii audience at all though, aside from putting Wii in the console name. But both sides seem to be pissed off that much is clear. I think one of the reasons for this Nintendo is such an OG in the gaming biz that they have a very varied fan base. People of the NES/SNES gens and the N64/GC gens. I'm kind of inbetween both. But I favor the NES/SNES side, which is why the Wii was a great console in its hey day. It felt like a classic console. The Wii U is an abandonment of the Wii in every sense of the word. 

Why would a fan of Wii be enticed to buy a Wii U? I've no idea. Thus I haven't bought one. 

Tbh, I went from being baffled by the Wii U, to hostile to it, to amused by it. Its a joke. I find it funny myself now. Lets see how low it can go! Hopefully Nintendo learns a much needed lesson and stops bull shitting. Regardless of specs, (which is the least of Wii U's issues) Wii U is definitely a spiritual successor to Cube. The thing looks like a GCN with the GBA attached. 

I'm 31 years old, the NES got me into gaming (my brother had an Atari and an Intellivision, but the NES is what made me a gamer) and the SNES is my favorite system of all time, hands down.  That being said, the Gamecube got me back into Nintendo after I felt like the N64 was kind of "meh,"  I mean I loved Ocarina, Mario 64, and Rare's shooters but I played my PS1 more then my 64.  My PS2 actually got less play then my Xbox, Dreamcast, and especially my Cube (I was in college at the time and didn't have money for food, but damn I was going to save and play video games, lol.)  I guess I'm a weird case...  although the fact that I was in college probably had something to do with it.  Dreamcast, Xbox, and especially Gamecube were built for local multiplayer as opposed to the PS2.  Add that to the fact that I loved the controller and sunk more time into SSBM then any game ever and I have a lot of fond memories about the system.

Here is the thing about it being a "Wii 2.0" and not a "Gamecube 2.0."  I get what you're saying, but the Gamecube clearly went after the core market, and the Wii, in the eyes of the traditional gamer, abandoned them by putting out a system with specs comparable to last gen systems and a gimmicky controller instead of a standard duel analogue design.  This is, of course, ridiculous.  The Wii was a haven for retro gaming... any system that gave me a proper sequel to both Punch-Out and a Boy and his Blob was a system for gamers in my opnion.  That is, how ever, how the so caled "core" saw it.  It is the same way they see the Wii U.  They do NOT see the controller as being a substitue for a traditional controller, which is also ridiculous, but it is what it is.  Nintendo failed everyone.

so motion controls are retro now? im sorry no. ANd "core" did not see the motion controls as a substiture to traditional controls because it wasnt a substitute for tradtional controls. The broken controls for alot of games just prove that. THe gamepad however is a substitute in a way, but you can only use one per console anyway so its still lacking.

Around the Network

Double Dash was great. The end.

oniyide said:
Spazzy_D said:
Arius Dion said:
Spazzy_D said:
Arius Dion said:

so motion controls are retro now? im sorry no. ANd "core" did not see the motion controls as a substiture to traditional controls because it wasnt a substitute for tradtional controls. The broken controls for alot of games just prove that. THe gamepad however is a substitute in a way, but you can only use one per console anyway so its still lacking.

Where did I say motion controls where retro?

I disagree. Double Dash is by far the worst Mario Kart released yet. I hate most of the tracks and the game mechanics. Also, Sunshine was a horrible Mario game by all standards. I don't want to spend half of the game to scrub colour off the level with F.L.U.D.D. Most levels were boring as fuck. Wind Waker was a game I actually enjoyed, just like Star Fox: Assault (only MP, though).

IMO

Arius Dion said:

Not at all. I'm not saying because of its sales that it sucked..It just sucked, and then the sales followed ; ) It most certainly was not great. The battlemode was crap, the racing was crap, the level design was lacking. Two persons per kart? Gimme a break. 

And why is it that it sucked? Because it was different? Because it isn't what you wanted?

I prefered Mario Kart 64

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018