By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Chicago Police Department is 10.5 million over budget, but "Chiraq" is one of the most violent cities in the WORLD!

curl-6 said:
Serious_frusting said:
American laws are so crazy and out of touch with the modern world.

This isnt the 1800's and the wild west died a long time ago.

I don't think I could live in a place where anyone can easily access a firearm. The thought is terrifying.

You can tell you've never spent a significant amount of time here.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
curl-6 said:
Serious_frusting said:

I don't think I could live in a place where anyone can easily access a firearm. The thought is terrifying.

I don't have to to know how I feel about the concept.

curl-6 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Chicago is the prime example of what happens when you have strict gun control laws.

Nah, that'd be Australia; no mass shootings in the last 17 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monash_University_shooting

Outside just being wrong... mass shootings and murders in general are such random outliers of society it would be irresponsible to consider the ability to be able to judge if the occurence of such things are really increasing or decreasing for any reason or just do to dumb statistical luck average wise.

Goddamned Al Capone!

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Ji99saw said:
I don't think any of you have ever lived in these cities, the major problem is the cops don't give fuck about the urban neighborhoods and completely ignore them and allow crime run rampant. Sometimes when you call the cops in Detroit or Chicago you'll be lucky if they show up 4 hours later and sometimes they don't come at all. They never solve homicides which means murderers are allowed to walk and terrorize the innocent. The funny part is they are always shocked about how them not doing anything is actually not helping lower crime.

In a lot of areas, the Police just don't give a shit.  It's why people feel the need to be armed in this country...the police don't have any real obligation to help you.  What they care about most is looking out for themselvse, so they won't get anywhere until WAAAAAY after they're sure everyone has bailed.  (Unless it's a situation where they think they'll be able to spot the agressors easy.  EX Rich white neighberhood.)

and if you have something on your record and your trying to report a crime against you?  They're just as likely to arrest you for some shit like a warrant on a parking ticket as they are help your ass.

I once had to call in a fucking domestic violence dispute happening INSIDE my store.

I get a phone call back two and a half hours later....  "Are they still there?"

It's like... "the fuck do you think?  That he just has been wailing on her the last 2 and a half hours waiting for you guys to show up."

Around the Network
Serious_frusting said:

The Wild West actually had EXTREMELY strict gun laws.

In most towns in the Wild West you were not allowed to have guns within city limits.

The shootout at the OK Coral happened because Claborne and his crew would not reliquish their guns to Wyatt Earp as was Tombstone's law. 

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan/23/nation/la-na-tombstone-20110123

Gun control didn't help to stop the violence their either.

It just made it easier to ambush people in taverns and such, since you could just walk up to them and shoot them since they would be unarmed.

Kasz216 said:
curl-6 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Chicago is the prime example of what happens when you have strict gun control laws.

Outside just being wrong... mass shootings and murders in general are such random outliers of society it would be irresponsible to consider the ability to be able to judge if the occurence of such things are really increasing or decreasing for any reason or just do to dumb statistical luck average wise.

Two people dead, that's not a mass shooting.

So it's a total coincidence that after a massive clampdown on guns, the next 17 years pass without a mass shooting? Please.

outlawauron said:
curl-6 said:

My teacher has, he visits ever year.

Had a gun pulled on him in Chicago.

curl-6 said:
Kasz216 said:
curl-6 said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Two people dead, that's not a mass shooting.

So it's a total coincidence that after a massive clampdown on guns, the next 17 years pass without a mass shooting? Please.

He shot 7 people and had five guns ready to shoot more people.  You are essentially hanging your hat on a technicality.

and... yes.   Yes it is a coincidence. 

I mean ask yoruself this.  With the gun laws... is it actually hard to get guns.  If you wanted to get guns illegally to shoot up soemthing, would this be particularly hard for you to find?

Would you be afraid of the gun laws in attempting to find guns for your plan to massacre a bunch of people?

Have their been many cases where mass shootings have been stopped by the police catching people trying to get guns?

All 3 answers are no.. correct?

People obviously aren't afraid of gun laws if they know the end result of what they plan to do is death/life in prison anyway.

It's easy to get ANYTHING on the black market... and there aren't a ton of cases of prevention.

There is a correlation, but there is literally no datapoints that show causation.

brendude13 said:
outlawauron said:
curl-6 said:

My teacher has, he visits ever year.

Had a gun pulled on him in Chicago.

Which has some of the restrictive gun laws in the US. Funny thing how criminals will still get guns regardless of the laws and regulations you have.

As many have said, areas with less gun control generally have much less violent crime for obvious reasons.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.