By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Technical breakdown on Next-Gen Game Consoles GPU

biglittlesps said:

No, its 1088 GB/sec. Check the Mark cerny Gamelab PS4 presentation.

And why what Mark said at PS4 presentation is in any way related to Wii U performance? Do you think that the implementation of eDRAM in PS4 if ever happened would have been the same as the one in Wii U? eDRAM was used in PS2, PSP, iPhone, Wii, 360.... And neither of those platforms had nearly close bandwidths as that. 

Around the Network
Zero999 said:

knowing the gpu clock doesnt matter if you dont know wich gpu is.

last sentence bolded: that's my point, those are not KNOWN things, it's mostly speculative and/or obvious lies.

It's not "mostly speculative and/or obvious lies" as you claim because there are serious people who did the teardown of the console to it's basic components, directly analyzed the components of its chips, power consumption, the manufacturing nodes being used, and so on. On the other hand there is you and your wishful thinking. Not that I believe the Wii U is weaker than any of the current gen consoles, anyways.

Nonsense - everybody knows (as confirmed by some of Nintendo Witnesses here) that WiiU packs 1.21 Gigawatts of power, surpassing significantly even yet unreleased AMD HD9990 level GPUs, brought back from the future to Nintendo by no one else but Doc Brown himself.

HoloDust said:
Nonsense - everybody knows (as confirmed by some of Nintendo Witnesses here) that WiiU packs 1.21 Gigawatts of power, surpassing significantly even yet unreleased AMD HD9990 level GPUs, brought back from the future to Nintendo by no one else but Doc Brown himself.

A flash of lightning is needed to power the wiii-u if you don't have plutonium!

(but if you're stuck in 1985 without the power needed you will have to play only the N.E.S.!)

ps: Nice joke and very nice thread!

Persona 5 on PS3, I won't need next gen!

haxxiy said:
Zero999 said:

last sentence bolded: that's my point, those are not KNOWN things, it's mostly speculative and/or obvious lies.

It's not "mostly speculative and/or obvious lies" as you claim because there are serious people who did the teardown of the console to it's basic components, directly analyzed the components of its chips, power consumption, the manufacturing nodes being used, and so on. On the other hand there is you and your wishful thinking. Not that I believe the Wii U is weaker than any of the current gen consoles, anyways.

"serious people who did the teardown of the console to it's basic components, directly analyzed the components of its chips, power consumption, the manufacturing nodes being used, and so on."

serious people who did that and got NO CONCLUSIVE RESULTS for most parts, just speculation. and then we have non serious people who hate nintendo, take the lowest possible speculation specs and spread as if it was confirmed truth.

Around the Network
Tom3k said:

biglittlesps said:

And why what Mark said at PS4 presentation is in any way related to Wii U performance? Do you think that the implementation of eDRAM in PS4 if ever happened would have been the same as the one in Wii U? eDRAM was used in PS2, PSP, iPhone, Wii, 360.... And neither of those platforms had nearly close bandwidths as that. 

it's related because the combination of RAM + edram he mentioned is exactly what the wii u uses.

i don't know where you got the information that those consoles (except for 360) used edram. but they surely didn't have nearly as much RAM nor edram as wii u and certainly technology has evolved in the past 10+ years.

Zero999 said:
Tom3k said:

biglittlesps said:

it's related because the combination of RAM + edram he mentioned is exactly what the wii u uses.

i don't know where you got the information that those consoles (except for 360) used edram. but they surely didn't have nearly as much RAM nor edram as wii u and certainly technology has evolved in the past 10+ years.

Also Wii U has very less DDR3 bandwidth which is sitting at 12.8GB/sec(revelead by teardown of Wii U and looking at the modules), so for countering this slow DDR3 nintendo should have to use High Speed EDRAM which also a reason for using this up to 1000 GB/sec(can be less). I just added a best case scenario for the bandwidth which is also based on the fact of the cerny.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Zero999 said:
haxxiy said:
Zero999 said:

"serious people who did the teardown of the console to it's basic components, directly analyzed the components of its chips, power consumption, the manufacturing nodes being used, and so on."

serious people who did that and got NO CONCLUSIVE RESULTS for most parts, just speculation. and then we have non serious people who hate nintendo, take the lowest possible speculation specs and spread as if it was confirmed truth.

Well, why nintendo doesn't wish to release their specifications where Sony already done most of them? We are consumers very eager to know about the hardware which we use and most of them can't live without knowing about that what they use. If nintendo have done something great with hardware (or) has very good power then should say atleast something about hardware instead of just names which is like they wish to hide fact from consumers due to its inferior to competitors (or) they don't have that much hardware power to show.

Wii U specs are reverse engineered by some people who have the experience related to that only and the RAM bandwidth was found by Anandtech teardown like so.

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

LMAO at Wii U specs reverse engineered. As if anyone that took it apart had the ability to engineer chips at home.
wait your sig really explains it all now.

To those claiming Wii U specs are confirmed, care to post a link to that? I bet it will go back to the DF breakdown where they openly admit to not knowing what a lot of the areas on the chip do.

ListerOfSmeg said:

LMAO at Wii U specs reverse engineered. As if anyone that took it apart had the ability to engineer chips at home.
wait your sig really explains it all now.

To those claiming Wii U specs are confirmed, care to post a link to that? I bet it will go back to the DF breakdown where they openly admit to not knowing what a lot of the areas on the chip do.

You can consider the specications I've listed here as an approximate which can be become better or worse in future but it provides a way to anyalyze things and to get some insight. Here are the people who reverse engineered the details:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6465/nintendo-wii-u-teardown

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-wii-u-graphics-power-finally-revealed

http://beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=60501&page=211

If you know about Wii U hardware then please share and i'll update the post if it has some proof.