By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Technical breakdown on Next-Gen Game Consoles GPU

Scoobes said:
maybetomorrow said:
Scoobes said:

If you're going to try and discredit people at least give good reason and/or sources. Marcan has working code on WiiU hardware so we're supposed to take your word over his because...?

First of all, Marcan not say from which is derived the specifications. The console hardware not detail the specifications in his internal code, this is a lie, only a PC or a DEV KIT can do that. The worts, this guy don't say nothing of how already done, suspect. The OS of Wii U is gelding in system information, is enabled only for four things.
Nintendo has done a good job hiding or better, eliminated, certain things like system specifications

So it basically comes down to you not believing his claims. Considering the fail0verflow team have hacked pretty much all the current gen consoles I'm more inclined to believe their WiiU claims and the general direction they're taking in the homebrew scene:

http://fail0verflow.com/blog/2013/espresso.html

One thing is break the internal security code to hack the console and other very different is reveal the official system specifications. I repeat, only a DEV KIT can say exactly which specifications has the hardware, no a group of hackers playing with the internal security code.

Around the Network

I can't believe how much more powerful the Ps4 is.....

maybetomorrow said:
Scoobes said:
maybetomorrow said:
Scoobes said:

If you're going to try and discredit people at least give good reason and/or sources. Marcan has working code on WiiU hardware so we're supposed to take your word over his because...?

First of all, Marcan not say from which is derived the specifications. The console hardware not detail the specifications in his internal code, this is a lie, only a PC or a DEV KIT can do that. The worts, this guy don't say nothing of how already done, suspect. The OS of Wii U is gelding in system information, is enabled only for four things.
Nintendo has done a good job hiding or better, eliminated, certain things like system specifications

So it basically comes down to you not believing his claims. Considering the fail0verflow team have hacked pretty much all the current gen consoles I'm more inclined to believe their WiiU claims and the general direction they're taking in the homebrew scene:

http://fail0verflow.com/blog/2013/espresso.html

One thing is break the internal security code to hack the console and other very different is reveal the official system specifications. I repeat, only a DEV KIT can say exactly which specifications has the hardware, no a group of hackers playing with the internal security code.

But, a fimrware of the hardware has some basic details about the hardware itself like device name, its code/model, serial etc., through which we can atleast get some approximate specifications about what it can be by analyzing those details with the already known architectures/hardwares. Also sometime a retail console can be turned into dev kit with some changes which is already done to PS3. We may not get accurate specification by hacking into the code but we'll get an approximate/base specifications to go even further in future to know  more of them.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

ListerOfSmeg said:

LMAO at Wii U specs reverse engineered. As if anyone that took it apart had the ability to engineer chips at home.
wait your sig really explains it all now.

To those claiming Wii U specs are confirmed, care to post a link to that? I bet it will go back to the DF breakdown where they openly admit to not knowing what a lot of the areas on the chip do.

Considering your thread about eDRAM the other day, I don't think you're the best person to be giving out technical advice.

@bolded:

I don't think anyone has said that. The information here and in the tech forums are based on the data available and some basic science. They give ballpark figures and will continue to be adjusted and debated as more data becomes available.

Post updated with better comparison.

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Around the Network

Everything gets better with a table... now the OP is really easy to read.

I like to add something to discussion.

We already knows the PS4 GPU have 8 ACEs and 8 Queue Pipelines.... so it have more schedulers for compute tasks than any AMD GPU in the market to date (GCN 2.0 is suppose to have this new feature too).

But it is not just that... Cerny said that in the latest interview for Eurogamer:

"Mark Cerny: That comes from a leak and is not any form of formal evangelisation. The point is the hardware is intentionally not 100 per cent round. It has a little bit more ALU in it than it would if you were thinking strictly about graphics. As a result of that you have an opportunity, you could say an incentivisation, to use that ALU for GPGPU."

What that means? The CUs in PS4 GPU didn't have the same amount of ALUs... each unit is not 100% like... some there are addcional ALUs for GPGPU... so I think it is like they get the GCN and added some key ALUs in each CU to help to process GPGPU while doing graphics... so to use these new ALUs they added 6x ACE/Queue Pipelines.

Makes and maybe the PS4 GPU is way more customizable than we think... way different from the GCN (HD 7850).

It will be good to see how this new GPU works in real games

ethomaz said:

Everything gets better with a table... now the OP is really easy to read.

I like to add something to discussion.

We already knows the PS4 GPU have 8 ACEs and 8 Queue Pipelines.... so it have more schedulers for compute tasks than any AMD GPU in the market to date (GCN 2.0 is suppose to have this new feature too).

But it is not just that... Cerny said that in the latest interview for Eurogamer:

"Mark Cerny: That comes from a leak and is not any form of formal evangelisation. The point is the hardware is intentionally not 100 per cent round. It has a little bit more ALU in it than it would if you were thinking strictly about graphics. As a result of that you have an opportunity, you could say an incentivisation, to use that ALU for GPGPU."

What that means? The CUs in PS4 GPU didn't have the same amount of ALUs... each unit is not 100% like... some there are addcional ALUs for GPGPU... so I think it is like they get the GCN and added some key ALUs in each CU to help to process GPGPU while doing graphics... so to use these new ALUs they added 6x ACE/Queue Pipelines.

Makes and maybe the PS4 GPU is way more customizable than we think... way different from the GCN (HD 7850).

It will be good to see how this new GPU works in real games

I think cerny is talking about the commands which has been increased from 2 sources of compute commands(ADD+MUL) to 64 sources in instruction set not on the hardware level because it they increase the ALU units count then the FLOPS will change accordingly but its confirmed that PS4 has 1.84TFLOPS compute power.

Can you provide me the link of this conversation so i can add?

biglittlesps said:
Post updated with better comparison.

Why do you still ist the XBox APU as 40nm?

HoloDust said:
Nonsense - everybody knows (as confirmed by some of Nintendo Witnesses here) that WiiU packs 1.21 Gigawatts of power, surpassing significantly even yet unreleased AMD HD9990 level GPUs, brought back from the future to Nintendo by no one else but Doc Brown himself.

Quite unnecessary.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

biglittlesps said:

I think cerny is talking about the commands which has been increased from 2 sources of compute commands(ADD+MUL) to 64 sources in instruction set not on the hardware level because it they increase the ALU units count then the FLOPS will change accordingly but its confirmed that PS4 has 1.84TFLOPS compute power.

Can you provide me the link of this conversation so i can add?

Link: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-face-to-face-with-mark-cerny

The talk started because the "14 CUs for graphics + 4 CUs for GPGPU"... he said that's false but the CUs are not 100% round... so the CUs are not equal... that's what I understood.