By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - China to lift 13-year ban on video game consoles

Tagged games:

Video games are coming out of the shadows in China.

China is expected to lift a 13-year ban on the sale of video game consoles, as long as they are manufactured within Shanghai's new free trade zone, the South China Morning Post is reporting.

Consoles have been available on the black market in China, but video game manufacturers, such as Nintendo, Sony (SNE), and Microsoft (MSFT, Fortune 500), have not been able to sell their products legally there since 2000 -- even if the consoles were manufactured in the country. Nintendo's Wii, Microsoft's Xbox and Sony's Playstation have been manufactured in China, according the the newspaper.

The change is part of a broader policy supported by Premier Li Keqiang, aimed at opening up the Chinese economy. The government is also expected to allow foreign banks to set up subsidiaries in the new Shanghai free trade zone, as well as allow foreign firms to participate in commodities exchanges there. Beijing approved a plan to launch the Shanghai zone on July 3, the report said.

Although the new rules have not yet been made public, they are widely expected to allow the sale of gaming consoles once the Ministry of Culture approves them. That ministry spearheaded the ban on the sale of consoles more than a decade ago, citing concern about the content of video games. 

Source: http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/10/technology/china-video-games/index.html

Basil's YouTube Channel

Around the Network

isnt the PS3 already allowed there?

Let the Playstation domination begin! I'm curious to see how the Wii and Playstation do since Japan and China have been in a row for quite some time, and many of the people have boycotted Japanese products. Should be interesting to see.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

Consoles, yes. Video-games, no. Mark my words! Every last one of them will be labeled as subversive. Especially Flower.

''as long as they are manufactured within Shanghai's new free trade zone''

Ah offcourse, should have seen that one coming.

Around the Network

As soon as possible, nintendo needs to slam their shores with the DS and Wii. Maybe then it could overtake who they are trying to overtake in sales.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

bananaking21 said:
isnt the PS3 already allowed there?

No. You can already buy 360 and PS3 there, but they aren't officially on sale.

I'm not really here!

AnthonyW86 said:
''as long as they are manufactured within Shanghai's new free trade zone''

Ah offcourse, should have seen that one coming.

Not that big of a problem, as most consoles are manufactured in China anyways.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

spurgeonryan said:
As soon as possible, nintendo needs to slam their shores with the DS and Wii. Maybe then it could overtake who they are trying to overtake in sales.

This, except they won't because Nintendo never seem to do what they should.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Hmm, a chance for the market to grow. As the manufacturers gave up on casual-gamers I expected a mild contraction of the market, but the addition of China might lead to grow (as like the market growed with Playstation conquering europe). I think for cultural reasons Sony and Nintendo have better chances than MS. Nintendo might have a slight advantage, as they were present already with the iQue-Player and people might already know Nintendo-franchises.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]