By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - X-Box 360 owners, why are you switching to PS4?

Captain_Tom said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
NightDragon83 said:
I got a better thread title: PS3 owners... why are you so intent on trying to make others switch to Sony?

They were never Sonys or Microsofts to keep. The larger portion of gamers only care about third party games. Nintendo had them for a time then they jumped ship to Sony as they increased the gaming industries installed base as a whole, then Microsoft with the 360 carved off a piece of that from Sony and now Sony is taking it back, because they were always there to be taken. You just have to provide a proper price point as we saw with the 360.

Yup, in the end when two consoles are similar the edge goes to the cheaper one. Im surprised MS let this major point slip by

Except the PS3 outsold the 360.  Sometimes you pay more for more.  Sometimes you pay more for less...

Please id rather not get into Japans cultural rejection of 360 being the only reason why this is the case. Because for the rest of the world, namely NA, being cheaper while having 95% the same library was a huge factor.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

Pretty much, yeah. The only reason why the PS3 is ahead now is because of Japan, where the PS3 would have beaten it regardless of price.

sales2099 said:
Captain_Tom said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
NightDragon83 said:
I got a better thread title: PS3 owners... why are you so intent on trying to make others switch to Sony?

They were never Sonys or Microsofts to keep. The larger portion of gamers only care about third party games. Nintendo had them for a time then they jumped ship to Sony as they increased the gaming industries installed base as a whole, then Microsoft with the 360 carved off a piece of that from Sony and now Sony is taking it back, because they were always there to be taken. You just have to provide a proper price point as we saw with the 360.

Yup, in the end when two consoles are similar the edge goes to the cheaper one. Im surprised MS let this major point slip by

Except the PS3 outsold the 360.  Sometimes you pay more for more.  Sometimes you pay more for less...

Please id rather not get into Japans cultural rejection of 360 being the only reason why this is the case. Because for the rest of the world, namely NA, being cheaper while having 95% the same library was a huge factor.

This statement is completely unfair.  It is a two way street buddy.  The Xbox is an American console and surprise: It sold best in America.  So then let's look at an "Unbiased" source: Europe.  Oups!  The PS3 outsold it by a fair margin that keeps growing...

Face facts, Xbox 360 had some great advantages in having a year headstart, a cheaper price, and great initial game support and online services.  These things were muddled by their terrible quality, their shortsighted and corporatized lack of sustainable game support, and just flat out inferior technology for the price.  The world spoke.

sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
NightDragon83 said:

Yep, predominantly in America as well.

Captain_Tom said:
sales2099 said:

This statement is completely unfair.  It is a two way street buddy.  The Xbox is an American console and surprise: It sold best in America.  So then let's look at an "Unbiased" source: Europe.  Oups!  The PS3 outsold it by a fair margin that keeps growing...

Face facts, Xbox 360 had some great advantages in having a year headstart, a cheaper price, and great initial game support and online services.  These things were muddled by their terrible quality, their shortsighted and corporatized lack of sustainable game support, and just flat out inferior technology for the price.  The world spoke.

Americans don't have half the cultural loyalties as Japan. hence PS1 and PS2 domination in America. 360 was just cheaper and played the same games. Japanese culture perception was a direct influence on 360 sales. I mean from 05-08, MS tried there, they really did.

BS on your last paragraph. Japan spoke, nothing more. I don't live there and neither do you, so i wouldn't lean on them for a crutch because you live on 360 turf.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sth88 said:
I'm not. I've always enjoyed my experiences with Xbox consoles more than I have with any Playstation games, and looking at the upcoming lineup of games for the two new consoles, Microsoft again has the lineup of games that I find more compelling. It's not just an old stalwart like Halo that has me picking up an Xbox One; Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, and Project Spark all look really interesting, and they aren't titles I want to miss.

What has Sony got right now for me? Not much. Transistor for sure, but that game could still make it's way to Xbox. The Order 1886 might also be pretty cool, but I'm not 100% convinced yet. Other than that, nothing. I've no interest in their old franchises like Killzone or Infamous, and Knack is definitely not my kind of platformer.

I feel as though some of what M$ revealed at E3 is coming to PS4 as well, namely Titanfall and Dead Rising 3. They're just timed exclusives at the moment. The main reason why M$ seems to have the better lineup for now is simply because they've pretty already played all their big cards. They announced a new Halo, a new Forza, Ryse, and some others. Besides a new Gears (a series that could potentially hit PS4, now that their exclusive contract is up and that idiot Cliff Blezinski is no longer apart of Epic) or Fable, what does M$ really have? A bunch of casual games for Kinect? I don't think so... We have still yet to see Guerilla's new IP, Naughty Dog's new game, SSM's new game, and more from Sony's first party, all on top of superior hardware at a lower price. 

M$ may have a decent lineup to start, but it's become all too obvious now that they are trying really hard to force Kinect and this cloud BS down our throats. I see this following the same exact paths as the last 2 Xbox's: Decent lineup at first, then a gradual shift to nothing but the same games we see year after year and nothing but casual BS on the side.

I started out last gen as a 360 owner, switched to PS3 within a year, after I beat Gears and CoD3 within my first month owning it and found nothing else redeeming about the console, and I've been happy ever since. I was kindof hoping that M$, after turning such a huge profit from ripping people off this past gen, would have actually created a good console this time around, or something that I would actually at least care to own as a gamer. That's didn't happen at all. PS4 all the way for me.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

sales2099 said:
Captain_Tom said:
sales2099 said:

Americans don't have half the cultural loyalties as Japan. hence PS1 and PS2 domination in America. 360 was just cheaper and played the same games. Japanese culture perception was a direct influence on 360 sales. I mean from 05-08, MS tried there, they really did.

BS on your last paragraph. Japan spoke, nothing more. I don't live there and neither do you, so i wouldn't lean on them for a crutch because you live on 360 turf.

In Japan its not just the product but whether the outside brand has any differentiating features to make itself stand alone from the home brand. If you cannot make that case then really, you don't matter. They believe in competition just as much as the next guy but there needs to be a truly standout reason to buy an outsiders product. Why would the rich in Japan buy an Italian or German car over a Japanese one? Performance quality and difference while driving. The majority of the rest will buy Japanese because even though they are the home brand they make the best middle class cars in the world. Americans seem to feel the same when it comes to concrete reasoning.

Rank
Best-Selling Car
May 
%
Change
Year 
To 
Date
YTD

Change
Toyota Camry
39,216 - 0.9% 171,756 - 5.5%
Honda Accord
33,218 + 11.7% 155,183 + 22.9%
Nissan Altima
31,940 + 40.8% 140,883 + 4.1%
Honda Civic
30,268 - 9.6% 128,980 - 4.5%
Ford Fusion
29,553 + 10.0% 136,833 + 21.7%
Toyota Corolla/Matrix
27,997 - 12.1% 132,515 + 5.9%
Ford Focus
27,186 + 9.8% 111,641 + 1.3%
Hyundai Elantra
25,090 + 32.9% 104,081 + 30.0%
Chevrolet Cruze
23,055 + 17.5% 100,818 + 6.2%
Hyundai Sonata
20,194 - 2.7% 83,556 - 13.4%
18,899 - 36.1% 89,812 - 18.4%
Toyota Prius 
16,008 + 13.2% 66,373 - 11.9%

Prius Liftback ^
15,330 + 17.4% 62,743 - 12.5%

Prius Plug-In ^
678 - 37.6% 3630 - 0.6%
Volkswagen Jetta
15,910 + 4.8% 66,483 - 4.5%
15,368 + 15.0% 68,859 + 15.2%
Chrysler 200
13,278 + 0.2% 62,655 + 7.6%
Nissan Sentra
12,504 + 64.5% 56,240 + 20.2%
Subaru Outback
12,270 + 33.5% 49,101 + 9.6%
Kia Soul
11,420 + 12.6% 51,744 - 3.2%
Chevrolet Impala
10,841 - 31.7% 66,127 - 18.6%
Dodge Avenger
10,691 + 0.1% 53,436 + 23.0%

Theres only one American car in the top five on their own country's list of the to top twenty. Hyundai has been impressing me since 2006-2007 as they are proving their value and they will continue to grow. The Koreans are starting to become a force. 

sales2099 said:
Captain_Tom said:
sales2099 said:

The things is that Microsoft did try to get a piece of the Japanese market, but they started too late.

America might not have as much cultural loyalties as Japan, but that does not mean there isn't a lot of cultural loyalties in the US. That's why the 360 continues to outsell the PS3 on a week to week basis. And as Captain Tom, pointed out. Look at Europe. The PS3 is outselling the 360 there by a good margin. However, you can't use the cultural loyalties argument on Europe because well, Europe is not Japan.

Aura7541 said:
sales2099 said:

The things is that Microsoft did try to get a piece of the Japanese market, but they started too late.

America might not have as much cultural loyalties as Japan, but that does not mean there isn't a lot of cultural loyalties in the US. That's why the 360 continues to outsell the PS3 on a week to week basis. And as Captain Tom, pointed out. Look at Europe. The PS3 is outselling the 360 there by a good margin. However, you can't use the cultural loyalties argument on Europe because well, Europe is not Japan.

I ain't talking about Europe. There 360 sold less but still is holding its own.You win some you loose some.

Point being, don't brag about global sales when Japans unique situation is the sole reason for it and you don't even live there. My origional point of being cheaper while offering the same games, stands.

sales2099 said:
Aura7541 said:
sales2099 said:

I ain't talking about Europe. There 360 sold less but still is holding its own.You win some you loose some.

Point being, don't brag about global sales when Japans unique situation is the sole reason for it and you don't even live there. My origional point of being cheaper while offering the same games, stands.

Well, the same argument applies to you. You don't live in Japan, so why should I believe your statement that Japan's unique situation is the sole reason for the PS3 outselling the 360 worldwide? Don't exempt yourself from your own argument.