By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - X-Box 360 owners, why are you switching to PS4?

darkshadow23 said:
JimmyDanger said:
NightDragon83 said:
I got a better thread title: PS3 owners... why are you so intent on trying to make others switch to Sony?

I know. It's like some devout cult. Although cultists tend to be less condescending, and smoother in their approach.

Why can't you just play Uncharted and like it? What is wrong with you?

"What is wrong with you?" - Condescending - Cult version "What is wrong with you?"

"Why can't you just play Uncharted and like it?" - Not very smooth. Cult version - "Why can't you just go to our church/love our god?"

Seems to fit both criteria pretty succinctly.

Why can't you accept some people feel differently to you?

I bought a PSX at launch (Q4 1995 - downunder here) - for $AUD695. I bought a PS2, I have a PsP (and an impressive library) - and have probably spent over $200 on Sony games (new & PSN - no 2ndHand) in the last 6 months alone. I'm no hater of Sony - but they're not my favourite. I've been gaming for 30+ years - own thousands of titles, across multiple consoles - spanning those 30 years - and never at any stage in those years, have I collectively seen a group of gamers act so downright condescendingly and patronisingly towards anyone who doesn't share their preference as I have seen Sony Diehard Fans - and that's a select group - separate from regular Sony Fans - but who tend to be legion on the internet, blurring the distinction between the two.

Around the Network
NightDragon83 said:
darkshadow23 said:
NightDragon83 said:
I got a better thread title: PS3 owners... why are you so intent on trying to make others switch to Sony?

Because we want you to have fun the same way that we do.

Well some of us like a little bit more varitey in our games than repetitive JRPGs and quicktime event fest beatem-ups.

Oh, and we don't like being hypocritically criticized by Sony fans for enjoying "shooters" when two of their biggest exclusive franchises that they constantly tout as being reasons to buy a PS3/4 are both shooters (Uncharted and Killzone).

Sony fans:  Acting like the gaming industry was created in 1995.

Fact :

Outside of a few downloadable XBL type titles, the Xbox 360 did not release a (90+ rated game on Metacritic -- Not named Halo,Gears,Forza since 2006).  You're not hypocritically being criticized for anything, other than the repetitive desire for the same games.  It's a simple belief by a majority of the gaming public that Sony has more variety of widely regarded quality titles.

I've owned every console since NES.  I appreciated all the different consoles for what they are, but the truth is -- since SNES, there has only been one company that has produced a plethora of fresh new games from a wide variety of genres and supported their console for the entire duration of their lifespans and those are entirely Sony consoles.

The amount of trust and faith that people have in Microsoft regarding consoles astounds me, honestly.  This is the second console they've released that they've essentially stopped supporting in any legitimate way.   They've shown minimal desire to create new software in what (15) years on the market?    While they're Xbox One marketing seems like they're trying to add developers and create games (but how can you even take them at face value at this point?).   It's questionable at this point that they ever actually see through that promise of delivering games.

To me, as it stands right now, they're in the same position as Nintendo is for me now (Wait and see mode).

JimmyDanger said:
darkshadow23 said:
JimmyDanger said:
NightDragon83 said:

I know. It's like some devout cult. Although cultists tend to be less condescending, and smoother in their approach.

Why can't you just play Uncharted and like it? What is wrong with you?

"What is wrong with you?" - Condescending - Cult version "What is wrong with you?"

"Why can't you just play Uncharted and like it?" - Not very smooth. Cult version - "Why can't you just go to our church/love our god?"

Seems to fit both criteria pretty succinctly.

Why can't you accept some people feel differently to you?

I bought a PSX at launch (Q4 1995 - downunder here) - for $AUD695. I bought a PS2, I have a PsP (and an impressive library) - and have probably spent over $200 on Sony games (new & PSN - no 2ndHand) in the last 6 months alone. I'm no hater of Sony - but they're not my favourite. I've been gaming for 30+ years - own thousands of titles, across multiple consoles - spanning those 30 years - and never at any stage in those years, have I collectively seen a group of gamers act so downright condescendingly and patronisingly towards anyone who doesn't share their preference as I have seen Sony Diehard Fans - and that's a select group - separate from regular Sony Fans - but who tend to be legion on the internet, blurring the distinction between the two.

Um isn't the above a parody - in reference to the cult smark?

OT

I was an early PS3 adopter and bought my PS3 for the JRPG... the JRPG that never came... FF kept getting delayed, KS was missing in action, Namco and SE was making game exclusively for the 360... seriously it was like 3 years of nothing except Valkyria Chronicles while the 360 got JRPG after JRPG and eventually I just gave up on them ever coming to the PS3 and got a 360 instead.

I played through LO, ToV, Last Remnant, Inf Undiscovery, Eternal Sonata, Magna Carta 2, Star Ocean... It was my main system while my PS3 collected dust... then one day MS hit a switch and suddenly no more JRPG, it didn't slowed to a trickle - it stop stone cold.

Not long after that, the PS3 picked up the slack. FFXIII seem to act as a floodgate and FINALLY all the niche and not so niche stuff started head over. Namco fell in line with Atlus and NISA... and I now the prodigal child is back into the fold.

I see no reason so far to adopt next gen console, primarily because all the JRPG are still coming to the PS3... Xillia 1-2, Disgaea Dimension, The Guided Fate Paradox, Atelier series, Tales of Symphonia Chronicles.

So this time I'll wait and see where the JRPG is heading before I commit, because backing the obvious favoured PS3 from the get go was a mistake, I should havebought a 360 and enjoyed the initial rush of JRPG before switch to the PS3 mid gen.

Even before we knew ANYTHING about the One, the complete drought of non Gears/Halo (I like Halo, don' get me wrong on that one) exclusives post 2010 while PS3 instead seemed to be racking them up at an accelerating rate cemented the switch for me.

And hell, the only reason I switched from PS2 to 360 in the first place was both the cheaper price, and the fact I was a Nintendo fanboy at the time and saw Sony as the only real competition to them (my tastes are Japanese centric, so that's probably why). $100 more, considerably weaker hardware despite coming out the same year, and mandatory Kinect only seal the deal.

That said, I fully expect either a $100 price drop, or a launch delay to put in far better hardware, hopefully something a little better than the PS4.

i gradually shifted to sony during this gen and in the next race i wont be buying an xbox one

i bought a 360 as my first current gen console once GTA came out... to be honest i didnt even consider that the ps3 was out by then.. propably because it was so expensive at the time so the logical choice for what i would assume would just be my GTA machine was of course the 360.

things was nice at first.. party chat was fun and exclusives like dead rising + multiplatform titles running great.. i was a vocal anti Sony guy, mainly because i couldnt really budget to shell out more money for a second console, accessories and games while being "tied down" with paying for gold on xbl and new titles aswell. as time went by i started getting really into the fanboy war. bashing sony whenever i could (not something i am proud of).. main point was that "it has no games" this of course meant that i spent a lot of time on internet news sites.. fueling the war... a natural sideeffect to this though was seeing all the exclusives that were coming to the ps3.. at first i shrudded it off... now the new hate sentence was.. "no cross gamechat? lol what a piece of shit".. time went by and while sony got more and more impressive exclusives microsoft was slowing down.. recycling the same old halo, gears and forza... all of them which was a huge letdown to me, but bought into the hype... for a long time i wanted a ps3 but my pride prevented me from stopping being a fanboy. by a complete coincidence, my very generous family member offered to buy me a ps3. i couldnt say no.. this was just after killzone 2 came out which looked like the best thing ever. unfortunately i didnt like the clunky gameplay, but it was still a solid title. the exclusives werent enough (thought MGSIV was only okay) i continued hating on the ps3 and could now use the excuse that i had one and knew what i was talking about.. only i never played it. time went by again and microsoft introduced the kinect. it had so much promise and i ran out at launch and bought it.. it was the worst purchase i ever made. by then i had just moved out from home and had a rather small apartment. i had to rearrange my living quarters every time i wanted to boot it up because it takes so much space... not only that but it didnt track motion properly and had the same shovelware titles as the wii did. i was infuriated. their games focus now became almost exclusively focused on kinect crap and 3rd party titles with 2 weeks exlcusive dlc... meanwhile Sony had announced uncharted 2 (timeline might get blurred here) and it looked amazing.. i was skpetical though because of the other exclusives. i played uncharted 1 first to see if i should get my hopes up and i was blown away.. voiceacting like this was just unheard of. production values were through the roof. that was the reason to buy a ps3... then uncharted 2 came out and i instantly declared it the game of the gen and naughty dog my all time favourite studio. i was at last satisifed with my purchase, but sony wasnt done. heavy rain, resistance 3, journey and more recently the last of us. when TLOU came out this late in the generation.. a new brilliant IP. by then i knew i was looking at a company commited to giving consumers what they expect. in my eyes microsoft became greedy, mainstream, and lately extremely anticonsumer with the whole DRM/used games. i didnt personally have anything against always on and no used games. i never buy games used (although i sell those that suck but that is pennies to be lost). what couldnt take was the principle of it. a monetary move is good if it benefits consumers at the same time, but this was just done because they thought they could get away with it... what microsoft said with it was that we are all sheep and you will buy it because we have power and money. i loathe them now. not in the pathetic fanboy type of way, but i want them out of this industry because it tried to lessen everyones rights and shit on us all. now of curse they have backtracked, but microsoft got the killing blow in my mind once they tried to pull this. i dont know about you guys, but being respected as a consumer is very important to me.

fool me once.. shame on you.. fool me twice shame on me.

Around the Network

Because, without backwards compatibility, there is little tying me to the Xbox brand anymore aside from Halo. I'll get one eventually, but my main console this gen (aside from Wii U, which looks like it'll be missing out on most multiplats anyway) will be PS4.

chocoloco said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The same reason PS2 gamers switched to the 360, third party games and more affordable pricing.

Not just people switching, but new gamers especially young teens that have parents buy them consoles will have parents go cheaper. I really do not see why this concept annoys so many it was often flaunted as a reason to go 360 years back. Hell, I bought my 360 because it was so cheap for a second console. 

Yep, the 360's exclusives outside of a few third party devs didnt really impress me this gen. I only bought the 360 because it was the only console that had the same amount of games from third parties that Sony was dishing out for a better price. Thats why a major portion of Sonys gamers got cut, they have no loyalty.

NightDragon83 said:

They were never Sonys or Microsofts to keep. The larger portion of gamers only care about third party games. Nintendo had them for a time then they jumped ship to Sony as they increased the gaming industries installed base as a whole, then Microsoft with the 360 carved off a piece of that from Sony and now Sony is taking it back, because they were always there to be taken. You just have to provide a proper price point as we saw with the 360.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
NightDragon83 said:

They were never Sonys or Microsofts to keep. The larger portion of gamers only care about third party games. Nintendo had them for a time then they jumped ship to Sony as they increased the gaming industries installed base as a whole, then Microsoft with the 360 carved off a piece of that from Sony and now Sony is taking it back, because they were always there to be taken. You just have to provide a proper price point as we saw with the 360.

Yup, in the end when two consoles are similar the edge goes to the cheaper one. Im surprised MS let this major point slip by

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
NightDragon83 said:

Yup, in the end when two consoles are similar the edge goes to the cheaper one. Im surprised MS let this major point slip by

Except the PS3 outsold the 360.  Sometimes you pay more for more.  Sometimes you pay more for less...