By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could Nintendo do anything wrong with the 3DS that would allow the Vita to over take it in a few years?

Egann said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
lxhizy said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
Nope, the Vita is done. It's even worse than the PSP

even worse than the PSP? how was the PSP bad? lol.

It got some OK games but 90% were PlayStation ports no one wanted. Nintendo does handhelds right, and always have. GameBoy, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Advanced, Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS... you can't beat that. Sony should admit defeat, cut their losses, and end the Vita.

(Btw  I am not a Nintendo fanboy, my favorite system of all time is the PS2)

I should point out, though, that the PSP's total sales are more than either the 360 or the PS3's. I doubt it will stay that way lifetime, but 79 million units lifetime is by no means a failure.

But Sony did make some unfortunate decisions. The UMD was workable, but poorly thought through. PSN has no titles compared to my local Wizard Games. Proprietary memory meant the system was always memory anemic and forced you to swap cards on the field (and god forbid you drop that $40 8 GB memory card.) Companies pay for their PSN bandwidth, so PSOne Classics have shovelware like EA's Championship Bass, but misses some great games like Tenchu 2.

I mean seriously? Championship Bass?

79 millions sales with not so good software sales cause of piracy....

Around the Network

Nintendo stops making games for the 3DS and releases them on the Vita instead. That might do it.

I think that, if Emperor Miyamoto ordered all 3DS consoles to "Execute Order 66" and 3DS consoles started killing anybody that uses it, the Vita may stand a small chance. That is, as long as Nintendo doesn't release a new Pokemon. People would still risk dying to play that series.

Th3PANO said:

The real irony is that Sony set the PSP up so piracy didn't hurt them in the least. The PSP had proprietary memory, so even if you illegally downloaded the game, you still had to buy a Sony memory card. Sony memory cards sell between three and  four times more than SD cards. 

Make no mistake: Sony made a killing on the PSP, piracy or not. Developers got the shaft in a big way, though. This is probably one of the peripheral reasons developers don't want to hop ond the Vita: it was hacked in Japan before it was even released in North America, so supporting the system is basically throwing their game out into the wild for free.

I think Vita needs good exclusives. Sony's exclusives aren't really fit for portable consoles. Uncharted is great but should stay on home console imo.

Around the Network
Egann said:
Th3PANO said:

The real irony is that Sony set the PSP up so piracy didn't hurt them in the least. The PSP had proprietary memory, so even if you illegally downloaded the game, you still had to buy a Sony memory card. Sony memory cards sell between three and  four times more than SD cards. 

Make no mistake: Sony made a killing on the PSP, piracy or not. Developers got the shaft in a big way, though. This is probably one of the peripheral reasons developers don't want to hop ond the Vita: it was hacked in Japan before it was even released in North America, so supporting the system is basically throwing their game out into the wild for free.

Nah.  I got a PSP and the memory format is the Memory Stick Pro Duo.  Lots of companies made 'em because cameras support it.  I have a couple of Sandisk Memory Sticks that I used to use.  Vita on the other hand--that memory card isn't designed to be used for shit except the Vita.

attaboy said:
Egann said:
Th3PANO said:

Nah.  I got a PSP and the memory format is the Memory Stick Pro Duo.  Lots of companies made 'em because cameras support it.  I have a couple of Sandisk Memory Sticks that I used to use.  Vita on the other hand--that memory card isn't designed to be used for shit except the Vita.

Not exactly true. Yes, other companies make them, but they all pay licenses to Sony to make them because all sorts of memory stick lines are owned by Sony. By comparison, SD cards have no official license. It's just a categorization of memory cards with some set standards set by the companies which make them.

A lesson I learned too late: microSD adapter sleeves exist for both memory pro duo and Vita cards.

The only thing that I see that Ninty can do wrong in the handheld market is discontinue what they have now and never release a new one again.

This is a deeply entrenched brand that anybody can relate to. As long as the price is right and the flow of games continues. It will keep moving forward.

Egann said:
attaboy said:
Egann said:
Th3PANO said:

Not exactly true. Yes, other companies make them, but they all pay licenses to Sony to make them because all sorts of memory stick lines are owned by Sony. By comparison, SD cards have no official license. It's just a categorization of memory cards with some set standards set by the companies which make them.

A lesson I learned too late: microSD adapter sleeves exist for both memory pro duo and Vita cards.

Well, I'll be damned.  Learn something new every day!

nitekrawler1285 said:
They already have. They never purchased enough developers. Other than the major 3 titles already in the pipeline(MH4, POKEMON, LoZ) they cant really support 3DS cause they need to focus on expensive, time consuming HD dev for Wii U. It would make sense if they abandoned 3DS and wii U software wise the same way they did GBA and Gamecube to produce DS and Wii in 2014. This will allow Vita to gain a larger foothold in Japanese software that may not be able to destroy as Im sure that Vita can compete with their gen 9 handheld specwise.

I am uncertain if I can believe that, what with Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, Mario and Luigi and others already out this year. I doubt the 3DS will suffer a software drought anytime soon.

Also, the Vita is selling about 5k a week in the US. I don't see why any dev or retailer would support a system with those sales. As such, I think it's far more likely that the 3DS will outlive the Vita.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.