By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - God of War Ascension surpasses Gears of War Judgement in global total sales

KingdomHeartsFan said:

They are so similar it doesn't even matter lol.  

Oh it does matter

Around the Network

I thought GOWJ was fantastic. Best gunplay in a 3rd person shooter. GOWA looked crap to me, but I'm sure fans loved it.

Both games seem highly underrated to me and deserve much better sales and fan support. 

As for the GOWJ vs GOWA argument, GOWJ is a spin off and a prequel, doesn't even have the same main playable character so it seems to have sold according to its purpose. GOWA on the other hand was hyped a lot more and advertised a lot as well, I'm sure Sony are disappointed in the sales.

Also, GOWA hit the bargain bin a lot quicker than than GOWJ, I'm sure Microsoft have made more money on this than Sony. 

Saw this coming from the recent weeks, GoW:A shows way better legs than GeoW:J, which maybe isn't very surprising, since GeoW was a very front-loaded franchise.
I wonder what lifetime sales will GoW:A achieve, I really enjoyed the game, and for one am certainly not tired of the franchise and hope to see new installments on the PS4.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

GoW:A is a great game with the best combat system in the franchise but a weak story... it lacks EPIC factor.

Even so it deserves more sales.

Figured GOW:A will sell more long-term. Either way both were unecessary.

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

Around the Network

I thought GOW:A was fantastic. Best game in the series and best graphics of any game this gen, yes even beating the last of us in my opinion. GOW:J looked like crap to me.

foodfather said:

I thought GOWJ was fantastic. Best gunplay in a 3rd person shooter. GOWA looked crap to me, but I'm sure fans loved it.

Both games seem highly underrated to me and deserve much better sales and fan support. 

As for the GOWJ vs GOWA argument, GOWJ is a spin off and a prequel, doesn't even have the same main playable character so it seems to have sold according to its purpose. GOWA on the other hand was hyped a lot more and advertised a lot as well, I'm sure Sony are disappointed in the sales.

Also, GOWA hit the bargain bin a lot quicker than than GOWJ, I'm sure Microsoft have made more money on this than Sony. 

They both are prequels and god of war wasn't hyped, it just happened that nobody cared about the gears of war prequel

I don't know why is this something worth mentioning.
Sales are still dissapointing, don't be hippocrite. Being ahead or behind Gears means nothing.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

Weedlab said:

GOW:A deserves better. It is a decent game (for me). Combat is the best in the series and the MP is nice. Story was meh but it hit high notes in the other areas. I've replayed it more than GOW3 because of the combat. Very fun and engagin, and I didn't need a patch to destroy the trials, even on Titan. Can't say for Gears as I didn't play that one.

I totally agree with your comments on Accension the combat is awesome with the ability to slow mo enemies and create a double of yourself. The story was a little weak but gameplay was great, and they added MP which is pretty fun and has been very well supported. REplaying Accension right now going for plat. 

Judgment was a total cash grab IMO and I'm a huge gears fan. I still play it once in a while but some things were really annoying at launch which has since been fixed, but not everything. There was def not enough MP content at all at launch. I have the season pass and right now its not a terrible game but a huge step down from Gears 3 and survival is a horrible version of Horde . Master at Arms mode DLC is a good mode and works well but should have been included with the original game cause the commuity in Judgement never took off and now is dead and on any given night have about 1/3rd the amount of people playing Gears 3.

Well the disappointing game has stronger legs than the very disappointing game, good. I've played both games and it saddened me how both are such wasted potentional, could have been amazing monster hits... what happened.

Mini reviews:

God of War: Ascension:  It is the best looking game on consoles and has a great art style. The combat was smoother than ever but I didn't like that some moves were locked unless the rage meter was full, didn't like the new parry system, miss having alternate main weapons and the goat enemies we're just so annoying, I think hit reactions must have been a bit off because sometimes they attack me through my attacks. Sound was broken at launch, it was out of sync and I prefer the old composers although the OST is still good and the voice actors do a great job. The story is there but is poorly presented, I had to play the game a 2nd time to get the point of it all and that point isn't enough to carry a 8-9 hour game (too short btw). The multiplayer is surprisingly great, needs a little work and more support but I still don't think it was worth sacrificing the single player for, it's very difficult to make a hack 'n slash game compared to a TPS/FPS so having to make a standard campaign and an innovative new MP was too much for a team of 100 or so people to handle.

Graphics 10/10. Gameplay 9/10. Sound 8/10. Story 7/10. Multiplayer 8.5/10.

Overall: 8.5/10. Still a very good game, not up to the series' mountain high standards.

Gears of War: Judgment: Well, this game was shockingly weak. Getting the positives out of the way, I liked the gameplay and the new control layout, throwing grenades feels much better. The sound was good. The graphics are very nice, up their with the best looking PS3 exclusives. That's all the positives out of the way. The story sucked, in fact, what story? It is a short game with nothing in the way of narrative to drive the player forward, only the gameplay itself and interaction between characters makes this game bearable but without a decent story it feels pointless. The new characters are weak and poorly introduced, I dislike the arcade feel of the game with the grading thing after every level although due to having no story or flow I guess it did fit. Oh, and of course the multiplayer is a huge step down, not enough content and features needlessly changed or removed.

Graphics 9.5/10. Gameplay 9.5/10. Sound 8.5/10. Story 4/10. Multiplayer 6/10.

Overall: 7.5/10. A good game that's not up to the series' very high standards.

As for sales predictions:

Gears of War: Judgment should settle around 2+ million and God of War: Ascension at 2.5+ million. Although since a new God of War releases every year in the form of a collection, remaster or new game, I expect a budget God of War III & Ascension double pack to release in 2014 which could help edge God of War: Ascension to 3 million, that might be just for the PS4 though so in that case it wouldn't count although It'd probably be on PS3 & PS4.

I hope the next God of War & Gears of War are a return to both series' former glory.