By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is this the reason why kinect is mandatory ?

You see disolitude, that could change; Mercedes paying Microsoft the serve the best targeted adds, and Microsoft would be paying your comapny a fee, if the viewer is watching the channel your company is broadcasting at the moment the commercial is airing.

And when companies like Mercedes want's their adds served via the Azure framework, because their adds will be streamed anyway
No matter what channel or program the viewer(s) are watching, they will reach the maximum publicity anyway.

That way Microsoft would be the perfect broker, and they will try to overrule Google's and Adobe's format to be able to imply their own.

Around the Network

ads....and yea, you might be right! That's scary!

If I do get a One console, I'm going to tape over the cameria, or aim it out the window....

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

unplug kinect *sigh*

Willem said:

You see disolitude, that could change; Mercedes paying Microsoft the serve the best targeted adds, and Microsoft would be paying your comapny a fee, if the viewer is watching the channel your company is broadcasting at the moment the commercial is airing.

And when companies like Mercedes want's their adds served via the Azure framework, because their adds will be streamed anyway
No matter what channel or program the viewer(s) are watching, they will reach the maximum publicity anyway.

That way Microsoft would be the perfect broker, and they will try to overrule Google's and Adobe's format to be able to imply their own.

I can't see it happening... Xbox One/Kinect will never have the reach they need to overtake standard advertsing on TVs. The TV to Xbox ratio would have to be greater than 2:1 for this to work.

Also, the standards that adobe, google, brightroll and other video advertising solutions provide are used on the internet...which is much greater platform than Xbox One will ever be. 

You are saying that Microsoft is going to convince every advertiser and publisher that this is the better way so they could target 3-4 million people through Xboxes in Canada by year 2015? Why would anyone care... I can target 10 million people right now on my website network with the current Google solution. 

Microsoft currently can't even traffic a video add to the Xbox dashboard without fucking up half the time. 

disolitude said:
SxyxS said:
disolitude said:
Kantor said:
That would require some guy to watch millions of hours of footage and manually identify the members of your family and pets.

Most likely it's to try and convince developers to use the functionality, knowing that every Xbox One owner will be able to use it. Plus they're definitely turning some extra profit on top.

Not necessarily. Kinect could map face algorithms and match them with user behavior patterns. But its irrelevant...

It just isn't technically possible for TV advertising to use something like this. TV ads are pre-programmed ahead of time and cannot be changed unless you switch the feed completely. Until everything becomes IP based this idea is technically impossible. When it becomes IP based, the idea becomes useless since every IP based service is tied to a user account, and they already see user preferences associated with that account and don't need Kinect.

Only thing Kinect may help with in the near future is allow Xbox dashboard ads to play when you're in the room and stop when you leave. No one wants to waste bandwidth... lol

are you 100% sure that ms are not in bed with the tv companies?

let's suppose they offer you 2 options of watching tv.

1)= regular tv program.with regular commercials watching with a receiver

2)=the same tv programm but instead of regular commercials with xbox1 user optimised commercials (submitted by the cloud)

well-they'd have to start small and make this lemming surveillance service look attractive eg. with football and than try to do this with all major tv stations and use this for all major series,movies and sports

They are not. At least not in Canada.

I am 100% sure because like I said, I work for a cable company and if they wanted to offer something like this, I would know and be involved in making it happen. Your thinking is sound, and its a good idea...but there are so many roadblocks in the way. In terms of how cable TV advertising works and is being sold to clients, video ad serving technology involved, peoples jobs and their skillset, revenue tracking... They would not be able to offer this without a massive overhaul to the cable TV infrastructure.  

For example...

A new prime time Survivor episode is about to air. Cable TV predicts that 1 million viewers will watch this episode. Mercedes pays a certain value based on viewership and placement associated with that show. Cable company can't allow Microsoft to show a different set of ads than the ones they have sold if you're watching Survivor since Mercedes paid for that spot and are expecting viewership tracking and metrics from the cable company.

thank you for explaining

BUT

imagine you start selling 2 different sorts of advertising for the same show(just like you see different sorts of commercial when you watch the same football game in USA and france)As two different tv stations can sell different ads for the same game,one tv station can do this too.

the first is the standard commercial just like it is now but parallel to that you sell a second one(the same procedure,the same adv. companies involved)

the second is the xbox1 optimised commercialand mercedes now can choose between the standard mercedes commercial or the optimised mercedes commercial for an upper class single white male(etc)

There is even no need to change the commercial but you can change eg. the text or the backgroung music of the ad

maybe there is a lot simpler explanation

i used football as example as i'm pretty sure microsoft has not payed 400 millions just to show some exclusive camera perspectives.As I've heard you can get achievements for watching movies on xbox1(that's skill!?)and i guess part of this achievements is:to sit there and watch commercials instead of going to toilett(noone cares wether you watch a movie or not,as tv stations make money from ads not from showing movies,it is important for them to keep you focused on the ads)

Around the Network
J_Allard said:

Internet is optional on the Xbox One as well, 

It's not optional.

Microsoft have stated you will have to connect at least once to download the patch that removes the DRM "features"

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

SxyxS: That's not a skill-reward ... that would be an incentive for you to keep watching, cause more eyes means nicer statistics in their reports and invoices ;)

@disolitude:
I'm not talking about Canada alone: Microsoft already sold about 40.000.000 SKU's to the US. That's why they wanted to make the kinect mandatory, to make sure the device is installed.
I understand it's a long road for them, but like I said, they need to start somewhere... but juding by your replies (thanks for the insight), I presume those managers don't hear the street talk in their ivory towers at the moment ;)

More tinfoil?

I love Kinect.... probably the best natural filter MS could have found.... all the narrow minded and conspiracy theorist will be purged from the XBL user base.... and just for that I'll pay a hundred more and give them full access to my living room to gather information....

(note for later, need to clean the coffee table before saying Xbox on :D )