By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's DualShock 4 light bar can't be turned off to save battery

slowmo said:
enditall727 said:
slowmo said:
I don't see how this isn't considered an annoyance because it blatantly will be. You guys do know its ok to admit the tiniest negative don't you. Its really not a deal breaker though and they could probably change it in a later revision if people do complain.

By the way, to the query regarding playing in the dark, I game on a projector and my room is always blacked out but I don't consider this a problem giving the light bleed I get from my screen anyway.

and why will it "blatantly" be an annoyance?

You think a useless light thats always on is not an annoyance, ok....

"useless"??

This comment confirms that you dont know what you're talking about

Try not to speak on things you dont know about next time. It usually helps people look less foolish

Around the Network
Nsanity said:
TheBlackNaruto said:
Nsanity said:
So i guess this confirms that Sony pulled the camera at the last minute.

But I could swear Sony alreadys aid they pulled the camera to beat MS at price? I could swear I read that already...is that a abd thing though?

Sony denied removing the camera.

Ahhhh okay gotcha I must have read it wrong. It was a bad idea but also wasn't I guess to get an edge on price. Who knows we will see how it plays out when they both come out though!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Adinnieken said:
ethomaz said:
riderz13371 said:

1. Can games developers choose to turn the light off on the DS4?

Ohhhhh no. it's already debunked.

That's not a debunk, ethomaz.  That's a work-around. 

If a developer doesn't switch off the light, which is likely an easy thing to do, then it'll still be on. 

Like I said, this is Sony putting the onus on developers to do something it should have thought of in the first place.  I mean if developers have the ability to turn it off, you would think Sony would to.  Like in a global settings properity page.

Devs have always been able to do this "in the first place". We already know the devs had access to the lightbar. They just only asked this specifically now

Lol You're trying to milk this cow dry huh?

Nsanity said:
gooch_destroyer said:
TheBlackNaruto said:
Nsanity said:

But I could swear Sony alreadys aid they pulled the camera to beat MS at price? I could swear I read that already...is that a abd thing though?

Sony knew that we didn't want to camera with the console.

I guess that expalins the Lightbar not being able to turn off and the preinstalled PlayRoom.

Yeah, at lease it's useful though.

Nsanity said:
TheBlackNaruto said:
Nsanity said:

Sony denied removing the camera.

I believe it had to be a higher end bundle that was also going to arrive this holiday season if true

Sony knew that they were going to release PS4 at 399$

Around the Network
enditall727 said:
Adinnieken said:
ethomaz said:
riderz13371 said:

If a developer doesn't switch off the light, which is likely an easy thing to do, then it'll still be on. 

Like I said, this is Sony putting the onus on developers to do something it should have thought of in the first place.  I mean if developers have the ability to turn it off, you would think Sony would to.  Like in a global settings properity page.

Devs have always been able to do this "in the first place". We already know the devs had access to the lightbar. They just only asked this specifically now

I am doing what I can to keep the discussion in a thread I started lively and active, yes.  I'm just acknowledging both sides of the situation.  From one perspective, not a big deal because it won't really drain the battery, which it isn't.  On the other, this further shows Sony impetuously decided not to bundle the PS Camera with the PS4 at the last moment.  The design and engineering of the DS4 was that the PS Camera was expectant.  Not to mention the inclusion of Playroom with every PS4.

That'd be like including Kinect Adventures in every Xbox 360, despite Kinect not being included in a bundle with the console. 

gooch_destroyer said:
Nsanity said:
gooch_destroyer said:
TheBlackNaruto said:
Nsanity said:

Sony knew that we didn't want to camera with the console.

I guess that expalins the Lightbar not being able to turn off and the preinstalled PlayRoom.

The Xbox One wireless controller has three IR LEDs built into the front of the controller so Kinect can identify the controller.  So Kinect not only identifies a person visually, but then knows when they have a controller in hand and which controller it is on the system, and it can also switch the screen position based on which side of the screen that person is on.

Adinnieken said:
enditall727 said:
Adinnieken said:
ethomaz said:
riderz13371 said:

I am doing what I can to keep the discussion in a thread I started lively and active, yes.  I'm just acknowledging both sides of the situation.  From one perspective, not a big deal because it won't really drain the battery, which it isn't.  On the other, this further shows Sony impetuously decided not to bundle the PS Camera with the PS4 at the last moment.  The design and engineering of the DS4 was that the PS Camera was expectant.  Not to mention the inclusion of Playroom with every PS4.

That'd be like including Kinect Adventures in every Xbox 360, despite Kinect not being included in a bundle with the console. 

But isn't PlayRoom more like what Augmented Reality is for 3ds? Has PlayRoom been confirmed as a seperate retail game release?

Adinnieken said:

I wonder if Playroom will function at all without the eye.  A video I watched talked about how it was used to show off the new rumble system and made it actually feel like little robots were rattling around in different parts of the controller or water was rushing around inside it.  Seems like that wouldn't require a camera to show off those functions and I'd really enjoy seeing if it really feels like what the guys during the video said.  

Adinnieken said:
gooch_destroyer said:
Nsanity said:

The Xbox One wireless controller has three IR LEDs built into the front of the controller so Kinect can identify the controller.  So Kinect not only identifies a person visually, but then knows when they have a controller in hand and which controller it is on the system, and it can also switch the screen position based on which side of the screen that person is on.

hm I wonder if the PS eye can do the same with DS4?...Probably.