By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Miyamoto's take on new IP's right?

Kasz216 said:
Wright said:
Nintendo-Europe said:
" You say things have worked well for Nintendo, but they were near-bankrupcy before the release of the Wii."

This is false, by this time Nintendo DS was already a success and Game Boy Advance and Nintendo Game Cube had globally been profitable.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aE00U63dING0

Nintendo was in bad shape because of Gamecube. But truth is, they made profit with the Game Boy. I've already retracted.

Figuritivly vs themselves.   As a company they were making more profit then Sony was off of the Playstation.

Those are "Gaming" division totals.

with all fairness, those include the profits from handhelds as well. during the gamecube era there was also the GB advance which sold 80 million units. i would say most of their profits from that time period is due to the GBA not the GC

Around the Network
badgenome said:
Kasz216 said:

Or alternativly

Haha, looks like Valkyria Chronicles if NinjaBee had made it.

And it was out way before VC came out.  I owned it for Gamecube.  Voice acting was horrible, story was just... weird.

Gameplay?  All sorts of fun.   Characters with different "class" abilties like mortar, destructable buildings, line of site based gameplay.

I think  i got it at target or biglots or something for like 2 bucks.

It's why i was so pumped for VC, i'd seen the combat work before.

Yes because we all want is Master Chief, Mario, and Sac Boy in every genre of game we play for the next 30 years with no new characters or worlds to explore. It makes sick to my stomach that people believe this but bitch about COD every single fucking year. Thank you Miyamoto you pretty much summarized why I don't like Nintendo and their games and never will

Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.

"I don't debate, I just give you that work"- Ji99saw

he's half wrong. New gamplay mechanics with the same characters, universe, and stories isn't a new game either.

Nintendo-Europe said:
" You say things have worked well for Nintendo, but they were near-bankrupcy before the release of the Wii."

This is false, by this time Nintendo DS was already a success and Game Boy Advance and Nintendo Game Cube had globally been profitable.

Game Boy Advance had been more than profitable. It was kicking ass in the market. The Game Boy brand in general ruled the world from 1989-2005 or so.

But yes, the notion that Nintendo was ever "close to bankruptcy" is incredibly false. They're not Sega. Perhaps if Wii had only sold GC type numbers for the second system in a row, maybe they would have had some cause for concern. But there's no way they were ever close to bankruptcy.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
Kasz216 said:
Wright said:
Nintendo-Europe said:

Nintendo was in bad shape because of Gamecube. But truth is, they made profit with the Game Boy. I've already retracted.

Figuritivly vs themselves.   As a company they were making more profit then Sony was off of the Playstation.

with all fairness, those include the profits from handhelds as well. during the gamecube era there was also the GB advance which sold 80 million units. i would say most of their profits from that time period is due to the GBA not the GC

Well yeah, but as people often tend to forget handhelds are gaming system.  In otherwords, Nintendo's polcies have always worked pretty damn amazing for them... UNTIL like, last year.  

I'd argue that's because the Wii U and in a lesser respect 3DS actually went away from established Nintedo strategy when it comes to hardware design.

Kasz216 said:
Wright said:
Nintendo-Europe said:

Where did you get those numbers? I was checking sources to back up my statements, but I only found that their profits were cut in half thanks to Gamecube. Gameboy helped Nintendo a lot.

I see what he means, Mario is a franchise but many of the games in it are like their own IPs with Luigi's Mansion, the RPGs, Kart and Sport titles, if these games had different characters people would see them as separate franchises. It's a case of whether you only see new franchises as new IPs although in the interview he wasn't actually talking about IPs.

Wright said:
Kasz216 said:
Wright said:
Nintendo-Europe said:

Where did you get those numbers? I was checking sources to back up my statements, but I only found that their profits were cut in half thanks to Gamecube. Gameboy helped Nintendo a lot.

I believe it was made originally on Neogaf.  The numbers come directly from each companies financial stateents.

KylieDog said:
kljesta64 said:

take for example Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy. those games are completely different

In a backwards universe this would make sense.

SM64 is more exploration. SMG is more action like in old 2D Mario games.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.