By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Miyamoto's take on new IP's right?

NintendoPie said:
Wright said:

One of the first rules of every single business is that without risk, there's no gain.

You can't play it safe forever.

If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Their strategy worked for the past several years, I doubt they think there is a need to fix anything.

The sales of their hardware, of Skyward Sword and New Super Mario Bros U would like to have a word with you.

Around the Network
Wright said:

The sales of their hardware, of Skyward Sword and New Super Mario Bros U would like to have a word with you.

The 3DS is doing an amazing job at recovering from it's 2011 slow down and is a top performer on the charts. The Wii U is suffering a 3DS-type draught right now. Will it recover? Most likely, but that's still to be seen.

Skyward Sword was released on a dying console and is still the 9th best selling Zelda, almost reaching 8. (It was also very well recieved by critics, if that matters much.) NSMBU? As of now it is underperforming compared to other NSMB's, but for a console that has only sold around 3.5 Million, it's not done too bad.

Soundwave said:
mai said:
Yes, Nintendo desperatly needs to waste few millions on new IP nobody will care or it will generate significantly smaller ROI than new mainstream Mario game. Anything to please the fans and raise its self-esteem as the coolest kid on the block.

They desperately need a new kind of IP that can bring in consumers that beyond just what Mario/Zelda do. And they need to actually put some marketing muscle behind said franchise.

Sony has done it with Uncharted and again with The Last of Us, and even MS invested a lot into the Gears franchise.

Time for Nintendo to step up with something new.

So apparently you've never heard of Xenoblade Chronicles? Or the Wonderful 101? Or The Last Story or Pandora's Tower (which they published in Japan). Or Professor Layton? Or Wii Sports/Fit/Music/Party? Or Steel Diver? Or the Brain Age/Brain Academy games? Or Nintendogs? Or Rhythm Heaven? Or Endless Ocean? Or Flingsmash? Or Sin & Punishment? Or Pikmin? Or Chibi Robo? Or Golden Sun? Or Nintendo Land?

Just saying. They have come out with a lot of new IPs, both internally developed as well as many made by outside studios but published by Nintendo themselves.

NintendoPie said:
Wright said:

The 3DS is doing an amazing job at recovering from it's 2011 slow down and is a top performer on the charts.

Skyward Sword was released on a dying console and is still the 9th best selling Zelda, almost reaching 8. (It was also very well recieved by critics, if that matters much.) NSMBU? As of now it is underperforming compared to other NSMB's, but for a console that has only sold around 3.5 Million, it's not done too bad.

Sure, but that's thanks to games rolling and price-cut. And there have been tons of new IPs on the 3DS. Exactly what the WiiU needs.

Skyward Sword had almost the same hype (or more) and heavy marketing behind, but it just got half of the sales Twilight got (which is the second best, if I'm not mistaken). Being well-received by critics doesn't mean people is growing tired. Metro: Last Light, for example, got well-received by critics, but it sold badly mainly due to consumer's fatigue of FPS.

They need a price-cut and they need games. You just can't rely on Mario, Link, Donkey Kong and Smash to keep the numbers up. It worked for Wii because of novelty, but not now.

Wright said:

Sure, but that's thanks to games rolling and price-cut. And there have been tons of new IPs on the 3DS. Exactly what the WiiU needs.

Skyward Sword had almost the same hype (or more) and heavy marketing behind, but it just got half of the sales Twilight got (which is the second best, if I'm not mistaken). Being well-received by critics doesn't mean people is growing tired. Metro: Last Light, for example, got well-received by critics, but it sold badly mainly due to consumer's fatigue of FPS.

They need a price-cut and they need games. You just can't rely on Mario, Link, Donkey Kong and Smash to keep the numbers up. It worked for Wii because of novelty, but not now.

The Wii U will get a price cut sometime in the future and is getting games. Next month, actually. Maybe they are games that don't do it for you, but they will make others go out and buy a Wii U. Me included. But if I don't count, then you can surely look around and see some people who now want a Wii U because of the games you listed.

Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Smash, Kirby, and Wii-type sports titles will push Wii U sales. There may be people who don't like these titles (like with any IP ever), but there are plenty that still do.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:

The Wii U will get a price cut sometime in the future and is getting games. Next month, actually. Maybe they are games that don't do it for you, but they will make others go out and buy a Wii U. Me included. But if I don't count, then you can surely look around and see some people who now want a Wii U because of the games you listed.

Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Smash, Kirby, and Wii-type sports titles will push Wii U sales. There may be people who don't like these titles (like with any IP ever), but there are plenty that still do.

Sure, I do like some Zelda and Mario from time to time. But tell me, now that you've mentioned yourself. Wouldn't you want a new IP from Nintendo with the same deep and weight as, for example, Metroid? Wouldn't that make you go out and buy a WiiU too?

He's right: when talking about Nintendo. They always put gameplay before story. Of course it wouldn't be the same rule for numerous other developers out there.

Wright said:

Sure, I do like some Zelda and Mario from time to time. But tell me, now that you've mentioned yourself. Wouldn't you want a new IP from Nintendo with the same deep and weight as, for example, Metroid? Wouldn't that make you go out and buy a WiiU too?

I was going to be a Wii U sooner or later either way. That's why I probably wouldn't count.

If Nintendo made a good IP (not one like Metroid, I don't want any type of shooter) then I would probably be happy. Although, I'm perfectly fine with Nintendo keeping their current IPs while twisting them in different ways that could be considered innovation, at times.

NintendoPie said:

I was going to be a Wii U sooner or later either way. That's why I probably wouldn't count.

If Nintendo made a good IP (not one like Metroid, I don't want any type of shooter) then I would probably be happy. Although, I'm perfectly fine with Nintendo keeping their current IPs while twisting them in different ways that could be considered innovation, at times.

I plan to be a Wii U sooner or later. But right now the only game that keep me interested is Smash Bros and The Wonderful 101. One of those two games I've mentioned is a new IP.

If you can't rely on third parties to satisfy the need of IPs, then you should create new. You should take risks. You say things have worked well for Nintendo, but they were near-bankrupcy before the release of the Wii. They got lucky because of innovation and marketing. Now they've got to keep being innovative, and the gamepad doesn't seem to attract that much attention. You gotta rely on games.

DevilRising said:
Soundwave said:
mai said:
Yes, Nintendo desperatly needs to waste few millions on new IP nobody will care or it will generate significantly smaller ROI than new mainstream Mario game. Anything to please the fans and raise its self-esteem as the coolest kid on the block.

They desperately need a new kind of IP that can bring in consumers that beyond just what Mario/Zelda do. And they need to actually put some marketing muscle behind said franchise.

Sony has done it with Uncharted and again with The Last of Us, and even MS invested a lot into the Gears franchise.

Time for Nintendo to step up with something new.

So apparently you've never heard of Xenoblade Chronicles? Or the Wonderful 101? Or The Last Story or Pandora's Tower (which they published in Japan). Or Professor Layton? Or Wii Sports/Fit/Music/Party? Or Steel Diver? Or the Brain Age/Brain Academy games? Or Nintendogs? Or Rhythm Heaven? Or Endless Ocean? Or Flingsmash? Or Sin & Punishment? Or Pikmin? Or Chibi Robo? Or Golden Sun? Or Nintendo Land?

Just saying. They have come out with a lot of new IPs, both internally developed as well as many made by outside studios but published by Nintendo themselves.

Yeah, thats what Nintendo has always done Wii casual games and Kinected aren't one of them. Pikmin and what Excite Truck are one of the only true new IP's?