By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Much Will The Wii U Drop!? <(^_^<)

The Wii U's First Price Cut Will Be...

$100 123 24.60%

$90 0 0%

$80 9 1.80%

$70 21 4.20%

$60 7 1.40%

$50 307 61.40%

$40 6 1.20%

$30 9 1.80%

$20 3 0.60%

$10 14 2.80%

Total:499

Einsam_Delphin said:

Twas worth it for the 3DS, which I don't think had many quality games before the price cut either, yet they still had a cut. Not that I'm saying they should price cut before the games get there of course, but they likely did this because they want their games to sell more than anything else as that's where most profits come from. In order for their games to sell well, their console needs to sell well, as game sales are limited to the console's install base. Just look at NSMBU. The game could clearly sell more than it has based on it's uber high attach ratio and previous installments, but it's physically impossible for it to do more than it is right now with the Wii U's current install base of 3 million. NSMB2, which launched near NSMBU, has already sold 6 million compared to U's 2 million. 10x the install base definitely made the difference here, and is why they should always be shooting for a higher install base by any physically possible and reasonable means, like bundles, remodels, oh, and price cuts!

You said multiple times that people obviously don't like the Wii U's price. All I'm saying is, that has yet to be proven. Again, the game library for the Wii U now is nearly identical to when it launched 7 months ago. The fact that it's selling 20K a week is great considering there are 0 new reasons to want one if you didn't during launch.

I understand that you must get the install base higher in order to sell a ton of games. At the same time, you can't simply say "price cut!" every time your system is selling lower than expected. The games aren't out yet and a price cut would do nothing now. As for next year? (which is when you want it) as I said, wait and see. You can't judge how the Wii U will be doing months from now and it might / might not need a significant price cut.

Around the Network
Cold-Flipper said:

Einsam_Delphin said:

Twas worth it for the 3DS, which I don't think had many quality games before the price cut either, yet they still had a cut. Not that I'm saying they should price cut before the games get there of course, but they likely did this because they want their games to sell more than anything else as that's where most profits come from. In order for their games to sell well, their console needs to sell well, as game sales are limited to the console's install base. Just look at NSMBU. The game could clearly sell more than it has based on it's uber high attach ratio and previous installments, but it's physically impossible for it to do more than it is right now with the Wii U's current install base of 3 million. NSMB2, which launched near NSMBU, has already sold 6 million compared to U's 2 million. 10x the install base definitely made the difference here, and is why they should always be shooting for a higher install base by any physically possible and reasonable means, like bundles, remodels, oh, and price cuts!

You said multiple times that people obviously don't like the Wii U's price. All I'm saying is, that has yet to be proven. Again, the game library for the Wii U now is nearly identical to when it launched 7 months ago. The fact that it's selling 20K a week is great considering there are 0 new reasons to want one if you didn't during launch.

I understand that you must get the install base higher in order to sell a ton of games. At the same time, you can't simply say "price cut!" every time your system is selling lower than expected. The games aren't out yet and a price cut would do nothing now. As for next year? (which is when you want it) as I said, wait and see. You can't judge how the Wii U will be doing months from now and it might / might not need a significant price cut.

Agreed.  Plus, if Nintendo plays the waiting game it allows them to gauge how well the PS4 and XB1 fare.  If those system's sales drop significantly and stagnate post holiday then it gives Nintendo more room to reduce accordingly.

Cold-Flipper said:

Einsam_Delphin said:

I never judged how the Wii U will be doing months from now, as that's pretty much impossible except to say it will be doing better but only cause it can't do any worse. As such, I'm only going off of how it's been doing and what Nintendo has done in a similar situation in the recent past. Alright it's true, we don't really know whether or not people like the current price, but 20k a week is not great by any means and definitely calls for a price cut. I would be uber dumbfounded if there isn't one by the end of 2014.

archbrix said:

Agreed.  Plus, if Nintendo plays the waiting game it allows them to gauge how well the PS4 and XB1 fare.  If those system's sales drop significantly and stagnate post holiday then it gives Nintendo more room to reduce accordingly.

That's another good point. PS4 & XB1 will show how the Wii U stacks against them and they can adjust their strategy / price accordingly.

Einsam_Delphin said:

Alright it's true, we don't really know whether or not people like the current price, but 20k a week is not great by any means and definitely calls for a price cut. I would be uber dumbfounded if there isn't one by the end of 2014.

20K is absolutely terrible for sure but I don't know why anybody would think they'd be better. It doesn't "definitely call for a price cut" when the reason your system isn't selling has nothing to do with the price. If it launched at $200, it would've started off even better and sales wouldn't have dropped as low but sales would've still been below 40K every week. That's what happens when a system gets no new games for over half a year and your system had about 3 good games to begin with.

I'd say a price cut by the end of 2014 is certain but the amount isn't. Saying they need a $100 cut before the release of more than 3 quality exclusives is jumping the gun a bit.

Cold-Flipper said:
archbrix said:

That's another good point. PS4 & XB1 will show how the Wii U stacks against them and they can adjust their strategy / price accordingly.

Einsam_Delphin said:

Alright it's true, we don't really know whether or not people like the current price, but 20k a week is not great by any means and definitely calls for a price cut. I would be uber dumbfounded if there isn't one by the end of 2014.

20K is absolutely terrible for sure but I don't know why anybody would think they'd be better. It doesn't "definitely call for a price cut" when the reason your system isn't selling has nothing to do with the price. If it launched at $200, it would've started off even better and sales wouldn't have dropped as low but sales would've still been below 40K every week. That's what happens when a system gets no new games for over half a year and your system had about 3 good games to begin with.

I'd say a price cut by the end of 2014 is certain but the amount isn't. Saying they need a $100 cut before the release of more than 3 quality exclusives is jumping the gun a bit.

But who's saying that? I'm definitely not.
Also you're just making assumptions. I could just as easily say that even when the Wii U get's more games it's sales still wont be that great, hence why I'm only going off of how it's been doing and what's been done before since we can't know the future or what would have been. Yes me saying there'll be a $100 price cut by the end of 2014 is also just an assumption, but I'm not using it to prove anything and it's backed up by facts n past instances, making it more of an educated guess.

Around the Network

Einsam_Delphin said:

Also you're just making assumptions. I could just as easily say that even when the Wii U get's more games it's sales still wont be that great, hence why I'm only going off of how it's been doing and what's been done before since we can't know the future or what would have been. Yes me saying there'll be a $100 price cut by the end of 2014 is also just an assumption, but I'm not using it to prove anything and it's backed up by facts n past instances, making it more of an educated guess.

Who's saying what? You didn't bold anything from my post so I can't respond to that.

Saying it needs a price cut at all is jumping the gun though. It'd be like saying XB1 is $500, it needs a $100 cut by the end of 2014 because nobody will buy it for that much money. You & I both don't know what will happen once the games are finally released. I don't agree or disagree with you, just saying you can't simply say things like "people don't like the price" or "it definitely needs a price cut" without knowing exactly how people will respond to a consistent game release schedule. 

Einsam_Delphin said:
Zero999 said:

those extra $50 on the deluxe are mainly because nintendoland, just like wii sports represented $50 of wii's price. so basically they're making money of it.

Ah I see. Thanks for explaining!

that's also the reason why i sugest lowering the deluxe to 289-299 and add a digital version of both NL and NSMBU. since the deluxe is basically a 299 wii u + nintendoland, my sugestion would mean a reduction to 249 for the console itself + each game selling for $20 or $25. this way the add a lot of value to the package without losing money. raising the storage to 64gb would be good too since the two games will take space. this model leave them open to a future price cut (before holidays 2015) to the sweet spot of $199.

special bundles could be 349, with another digital version of a game (mario 3d world/ donkey kong tf...) and a pro controller, meaning a console + 3 games + a controller for what the deluxe wii u costed at launch.

Cold-Flipper said:

Einsam_Delphin said:

exactly, just look at japan sales for vita. they already reached about the same level from before the price cut (little above 10k) and it only did 31k this week because there was a good release.

Cold-Flipper said:

Einsam_Delphin said:

Who's saying what? You didn't bold anything from my post so I can't respond to that.

Saying it needs a price cut at all is jumping the gun though. It'd be like saying XB1 is $500, it needs a $100 cut by the end of 2014 because nobody will buy it for that much money. You & I both don't know what will happen once the games are finally released. I don't agree or disagree with you, just saying you can't simply say things like "people don't like the price" or "it definitely needs a price cut" without knowing exactly how people will respond to a consistent game release schedule. 

Sorry, I was referring to your last sentence about price dropping before games come out. I never said that's what they should do.

The Xbox One isn't out yet while the Wii U is, and you're exactly right that we don't know what impact the games will have, so better to go by what we do know as said before. You keep saying the lack of games are the biggest reason for the Wii U's poor sales, which is undoubtedly true, but price is definitely a factor aswell. As much as people say the Wii U has no games (even myself hehe), NSMBU, ZombiU, Sonic&Sega Racing, RE:Revelations, Lego City, CoD:BO2, Nintendo Land, MH3U, and more do exsist, giving the Wii U a pretty diverse library in terms of genres. So it does have some games, they're just not worth the purchase of a $350 system. Better games, better price, will fix these problems. Also, game releases are all the more reason for a price cut as you'd want to coincide it with the launch of key titles. That should not only boost sales greatly, but also help it maintain a higher level of sales week after week.

Zero999 said:
Cold-Flipper said:

Einsam_Delphin said:

exactly, just look at japan sales for vita. they already reached about the same level from before the price cut (little above 10k) and it only did 31k this week because there was a good release.

Blah, I can't really say anything here as I don't know the full situation with the Vita. You play dirty! D: Can you give me an idea of what went down with the Vita? Like how much was it and how much is it now? What did it's game support look like?