By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Much Will The Wii U Drop!? <(^_^<)

The Wii U's First Price Cut Will Be...

$100 123 24.60%

$90 0 0%

$80 9 1.80%

$70 21 4.20%

$60 7 1.40%

$50 307 61.40%

$40 6 1.20%

$30 9 1.80%

$20 3 0.60%

$10 14 2.80%

Total:499

To become competitive it has to drop at least 100€

How much did the 3DS drop before it revitalized?

Around the Network
AndrewWK said:

Idk about €, but the price was slashed by $80 here in the U.S., putting it $170 when it was originally $250. Also, it wasn't just the larger than expected drop, but key game releases aswell, namely Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. Wii U is currently on track to mimic the 3DS, as Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 are right around the corner. All it needs now is a larger than expected drop. ^_^

Einsam_Delphin said:
Cold-Flipper said:

You're welcome. It really is a simple concept. Wii U isn't in the same situation as 3DS because it was sold at a loss to begin with.

And on the flipside, Nintendo now has other means of profit that they didn't have with the 3DS, but I guess you'd have to be looking at the big picture to understand that.

Sony had profit coming from the PS2 as well when they dropped the PS3 price by hundreds in the first few years. How did that work out for them again?

Einsam_Delphin said:

And on the flipside, Nintendo now has other means of profit that they didn't have with the 3DS, but I guess you'd have to be looking at the big picture to understand that.

The big picture is that Nintendo is a business first and they wouldn't consider dropping the price that much in order to stay competitive. Do you really believe that a $100 cut would do that much more than a $50 cut and that it would make up the difference that much? It isn't like the system is extremely expensive by today's standards anyway so its main problem is games and / or concept not price. If you count innflation the Wii U would've cost about $303 if released in 2006. If you take $50 off, it would be $260 in 2006 or extremely close to Wii's launch price.

Basically, you expect Nibtendo to sell the Wii U for $216 (2006 $) which is less than the Wii even though Wii U is clearly more advanced for its time. (In parts, features) I really don't think the extra $50 off would drive sales to the extreme that would make it outweigh the losses they'd be making.

archbrix said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Cold-Flipper said:

You're welcome. It really is a simple concept. Wii U isn't in the same situation as 3DS because it was sold at a loss to begin with.

Sony had profit coming from the PS2 as well when they dropped the PS3 price by hundreds in the first few years. How did that work out for them again?

Idk, I wasn't around sites like this during last gen, plus I'm not too interested in what went on with the PS3 right now.

Around the Network
Cold-Flipper said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

The big picture is that Nintendo is a business first and they wouldn't consider dropping the price that much in order to stay competitive. Do you really believe that a $100 cut would do that much more than a $50 cut and that it would make up the difference that much? It isn't like the system is extremely expensive by today's standards anyway so its main problem is games and / or concept not price. If you count innflation the Wii U would've cost about $303 if released in 2006. If you take $50 off, it would be $260 in 2006 or extremely close to Wii's launch price.

Basically, you expect Nibtendo to sell the Wii U for $216 (2006 $) which is less than the Wii even though Wii U is clearly more advanced for its time. (In parts, features) I really don't think the extra $50 off would drive sales to the extreme that would make it outweigh the losses they'd be making.

The Wii U be selling like jank, that shows people don't like the price, hence it needs to be lowered. It needs games definitely, and a price cut on top of them would really sweeten up the deal like it did for 3DS. I do believe a $100 cut would do a lot more than $50 cut. This is something I had went over many times and I'm too lazy atm to repeat. :L

Einsam_Delphin said:
Idk, I wasn't around sites like this during last gen, plus I'm not too interested in what went on with the PS3 right now.

Well, if Nintendo were to follow your advice and reasoning on how to handle the WiiU's pricing you'd likely witness a lower scale example of what went on with the PS3 regarding company losses.

Einsam_Delphin said:
AndrewWK said:

Idk about €, but the price was slashed by $80 here in the U.S., putting it $170 when it was originally $250. Also, it wasn't just the larger than expected drop, but key game releases aswell, namely Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. Wii U is currently on track to mimic the 3DS, as Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 are right around the corner. All it needs now is a larger than expected drop. ^_^

Well I don´t if the 3DS comparison can be made. I mean the 3DS had not a real Handheld competitor I mean you could the Smartphones where that for the 3DS but I don´t think thats accurate. Because the 3DS is still something different to co-exist with smartphones.

I think the obvious thing is that the next console will draw all the attention in fall especially the PS4 which is just 50€ more then the Wii U. So I think a price is inevitable but with Nintendo I wouldn´t be surprised if they go in with the same price.

archbrix said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Well, if Nintendo were to follow your advice and reasoning on how to handle the WiiU's pricing you'd likely witness a lower scale example of what went on with the PS3 regarding company losses.

Why's that? I'd like to know since as I said I hardly know anything of what went down financially during that gen. I find it a bit hard to believe that Sony was in the exact same financial position Nintendo is in now. I think I remember Sony releasing new models and dropping the price many times just in the first year. What I'm suggesting is a single $100 drop preferably coincideing with MK8 and that's it for a good number of years like with the 3DS. Besides, it's better to base things off current events over happenings from years ago involving a different company.

AndrewWK said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
AndrewWK said:

Well I don´t if the 3DS comparison can be made. I mean the 3DS had not a real Handheld competitor I mean you could the Smartphones where that for the 3DS but I don´t think thats accurate. Because the 3DS is still something different to co-exist with smartphones.

I think the obvious thing is that the next console will draw all the attention in fall especially the PS4 which is just 50€ more then the Wii U. So I think a price is inevitable but with Nintendo I wouldn´t be surprised if they go in with the same price.

3DS not having much competition while the Wii U has tons is all the more reason for the latter to get a big price drop.