By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Much Will The Wii U Drop!? <(^_^<)

The Wii U's First Price Cut Will Be...

$100 123 24.60%

$90 0 0%

$80 9 1.80%

$70 21 4.20%

$60 7 1.40%

$50 307 61.40%

$40 6 1.20%

$30 9 1.80%

$20 3 0.60%

$10 14 2.80%

Total:499
Einsam_Delphin said:
Cold-Flipper said:

Einsam_Delphin said:

Aha, so you see, it's all about them long-term software sales, as why else would they ever sell their systems at a loss if even for a short period of time. I don't see the risk in a $100 drop coinciding with key releases, as the same tactic worked out for the 3DS. Besides, they're gonna drop the price to that point and beyond sooner or later anyhow.

I forgot why we're debating over which console Nintendo is focusing on, but ahwells lol. All these games we're seeing now weren't made this year, but have been in development for years. They likely decided to shift game development in the 3DS's favor after it's slow start, but that's just speculation on my part. I do expect the Wii U to be getting development focus right now though, and so we could expect a 3DS-like game rush in 2015.

Long-Term thinking is fine and all but not if that means taking a big loss on systems. As for the bolded: Yes, but once they can actually break even with it or take a slight loss. You can't take a big loss from a business perspective. 

I'd expect a big Wii U game-push in 2014. It normally happens during the 2nd full year for every system. 2013 was 3DS's 2nd full year and Wii's was in 2008. 

The following post was spot on so read it again!

I'd think it'd always be worth it to take a loss if it means you make much more later than you lost initially, unless the loss now would cause you to go bankrupt, but that's not likely the case here. Since Nintendo isn't just going to vanish within a year, long-term is uber important, especially with how long this generation could last going by the previous one. Of course I'm no business major so perhaps there's more to it than that. What I do know for sure though, is that we don't even know how big a loss overall they'd be taking, if any. Let's just say that decide to $100 price cut around MK8's release. Let's also assume that by that time, Wii U is paying for itself. So with a $100 drop, I'd think it take 2 or 3 Wii U game sales to make a console profitable. Now with MK8, SM3DW, SLW, Wii Fit U, Pikmin 3, DKCTP, and many others having released already at this point, and oncoming titles like SSB4, Yoshi Yarn, SMT x FE, etc., plus the $100 drop increasing overall game sales, I think it's safe to say a favorable game to console ratio can be reached. Then of course there's the 3DS which should really be rocking by this point. So yeah they'll still be selling Wii U's at a loss, but overall I think they'd still be profitable.

I already responded to his post, which is really just a uber long n elaborate version of "Nintendo would be selling Wii U's at a loss," a point I've already made note of. I mean, I understood that fact before I even made this thread, as I thought that's just how price drops usually work. I just think that given the Wii U's current situation, the reasons for a price drop outweigh this one reason against it, which I really don't think is as big a deal as it's being made out to be due to their other means of profit.

A $100 cut is feasible next year when Mario Kart release but I think he is arguing they wont do it this year, they have a strong line up and with holiday deals/bundles there is no point. I think the price cut will look like this

Basic-$199, possibly discontinued soon after

Deluxe Mario Kart 8 Bundle-$299

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I chose 70 bucks... I think it will be between 50 and 100 bucks.. when it does happen,.. and 70 sounded right..

Nintendo Wii by generations...

1. Wii

2. Wii U

3. Wii O U

Predictions made by gamers concerning the current Nintendo line up of games.

Pikmen 3= Little Bump to nothing. (Got Little Bump)

Wind Waker HD= Won't sell anything (The explosion happened here and at one time 4 Wii U games was in the Amazon top 100)

Super Mario 3D World= Won't help at all looks cheap. (Currently the most sought after Wii U game and continuing the Wii U increase.)

zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Cold-Flipper said:

Einsam_Delphin said:

A $100 cut is feasible next year when Mario Kart release but I think he is arguing they wont do it this year, they have a strong line up and with holiday deals/bundles there is no point. I think the price cut will look like this

Basic-$199, possibly discontinued soon after

Deluxe Mario Kart 8 Bundle-$299

You're a bit late mate! I already got that part and responded accordingly. Surely he'll understand now that I never said they will price cut this year, only that it's still possible. Plus as I said, I personally think it'd be better for them to do it next year for the scenario given in my last post.

Gamegears said:
I chose 70 bucks... I think it will be between 50 and 100 bucks.. when it does happen,.. and 70 sounded right..

I was gonna say that's an awkward ammount, but then I remembered the 3DS drop. That made a lot of sense though as $80 is the price of two 3DS games, but then I guess so would a $70 drop for the Wii U, though not as good since you could only get one Wii U game with that. Oh wait, that's the same deal with a $100 drop lol.

$100 or it's over

Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.

"I don't debate, I just give you that work"- Ji99saw

Around the Network

Einsam_Delphin said:

I'd think it'd always be worth it to take a loss if it means you make much more later than you lost initially, unless the loss now would cause you to go bankrupt, but that's not likely the case here. Since Nintendo isn't just going to vanish within a year, long-term is uber important, especially with how long this generation could last going by the previous one. Of course I'm no business major so perhaps there's more to it than that. What I do know for sure though, is that we don't even know how big a loss overall they'd be taking, if any. Let's just say that decide to $100 price cut around MK8's release. Let's also assume that by that time, Wii U is paying for itself. So with a $100 drop, I'd think it take 2 or 3 Wii U game sales to make a console profitable. Now with MK8, SM3DW, SLW, Wii Fit U, Pikmin 3, DKCTP, and many others having released already at this point, and oncoming titles like SSB4, Yoshi Yarn, SMT x FE, etc., plus the $100 drop increasing overall game sales, I think it's safe to say a favorable game to console ratio can be reached. Then of course there's the 3DS which should really be rocking by this point. So yeah they'll still be selling Wii U's at a loss, but overall I think they'd still be profitable.

1st off, when a business drops the price of something it doesn't always mean they are now losing money on said product. They normally wait until they can still at least break even. (In Nintendo's case for sure)

The only way Wii U will get a $100 cut is if Nintendo feels that they have made enough money on Nintendo Land by the time May 2014 rolls around. If that happens they could go all the way because NL would become a free giveaway that they don't lose money on. Essentially, they would only be dropping the actual system by $60 or so instead then.

If not, I wouldn't expect them to do it. 

Cold-Flipper said:

Einsam_Delphin said:

1st off, when a business drops the price of something it doesn't always mean they are now losing money on said product. They normally wait until they can still at least break even. (In Nintendo's case for sure)

The only way Wii U will get a $100 cut is if Nintendo feels that they have made enough money on Nintendo Land by the time May 2014 rolls around. If that happens they could go all the way because NL would become a free giveaway that they don't lose money on. Essentially, they would only be dropping the actual system by $60 or so instead then.

Huh? I thought Nintendo Land was a pack in with the Deluxe? How could they make money off it, and why would that game be more important than every other method of profit? o_O

Cold-Flipper said:

Einsam_Delphin said:

@bolded: Thank you, Cold-Flipper. You and zorg1000 actually understand this. It's like the thread creator just can't seem to wrap his head around this and continually points to the 3DS as an example, which is a fallacy.

The WiiU is already taking a loss. You can't just cut the price dramatically on top of that and hope for the best. Just ask Sony how well that worked out for them with the PS3. That console will never be able to make back the billions that it cost them and Nintendo is not about to follow that example.

Einsam_Delphin said:

Huh? I thought Nintendo Land was a pack in with the Deluxe? How could they make money off it, and why would that game be more important than every other method of profit? o_O

Nintendo Land is bundled with the deluxe but games that are bundled don't drive up the price a whole $60 or even the extra $50. Nintendo is likely making less losses on the deluxe for this reason. It's not profit yet but once the Wii U console itself breaks even they will likely begin making money on the deluxe specifically because of Nintendo Land. If they are able to break even by this Holiday and sell enough fr NL to make up its cost, they might consider just giving it away. This would allow them to do a bigger price cut.

This scenario is very unlikely but that's the only way I see them possibly doing it...

archbrix said:

@bolded: Thank you, Cold-Flipper. You and zorg1000 actually understand this. It's like the thread creator just can't seem to wrap his head around this and continually points to the 3DS as an example, which is a fallacy.

You're welcome. It really is a simple concept. Wii U isn't in the same situation as 3DS because it was sold at a loss to begin with.

Cold-Flipper said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

You're welcome. It really is a simple concept. Wii U isn't in the same situation as 3DS because it was sold at a loss to begin with.

And on the flipside, Nintendo now has other means of profit that they didn't have with the 3DS, but I guess you'd have to be looking at the big picture to understand that.