Forums - Gaming Discussion - RE4 vs Last of Us

RE4 or LoU?

RE4 185 29.98%

LoU 331 53.65%

Haven't played both games 66 10.70%

Undecided 34 5.51%

Total:616

(THERE ARE SPOILERS BELOW)

I've noticed that there are quite a few similarities between Resident Evil 4 and the Last of Us.

-Both are linear 3rd person shooters which have light rpg elements that include upgrading weapons and health

-Both were released at the end of their console generation, RE4 (2005) and LoU (2013).  RE4 won GOTY, LoU has a great chance to win GOTY.

-Enemies consist of 'infected' as opposed to classic zombies; las plagas/fungus

-Your primary goal in both games is to save the young girl, and at brief times you get to play as Ashley/Ellie

There are other similarities I just can't think of them.

Edit: quick turn, health bar, cabin/sniping sections similar

ladder use, pendant hanging from tree that can be shot down

I also included a poll.  Please don't vote for one of the games if you haven't played both!  I'm not sure which game I like more, Last of Us released too recently for me to vote.  I do consider each to be in the top 3 of the respective generations.

Around the Network

RE4 for the nostalgia.

But since LOU is current and everybody loves it, expect a seriously one-sided poll result.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Tough choice, the two of them are some of the best survival horror games out there. If I had to choose one tough, it would be Resident Evil 4. It's a damn classic.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

RE4 was, and still is, one of my all time favourites, but TLOU destroys it in every way.

The PS5 Exists. 

Resident Evil 4 was revolutionary in terms of controls/camera for shooters. Not much else. It actually started the trend to make RE a shooter, which obviously wasn't a good thing.

Around the Network

so im not the only one thinking the two games are similar

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

GribbleGrunger said:

RE4 was, and still is, one of my all time favourites, but TLOU destroys it in every way.

In what ways?  Obviously graphics, controls, story have generally gotten better over time but for what RE4 did for gaming and 3rd person shooters you have to respect it.

kljesta64 said:
so im not the only one thinking the two games are similar

Lol, I've been waiting for someone else to make this thread.  I'm shocked no one did.

No, these games are not comparable

Most of the time in the Last of Us you are fighting humans

Resident Evil 4 is the single best video game ever created, so naturally it wins.